Total Members
    Most Online
    MDweatherman
    Newest Member
    MDweatherman
joshwx2003

April 12 Severe Event

41 minutes ago, Calderon said:

My problem is the vegetation and grass immediately adjacent to the foundation. One would expect an EF5 to not only have the force to do that to a house, but also chew up the grass and trees around it.

The tree partially laying on the slab is appears to be either a Laurel Oak or Water Oak, but very easy tree to knock over and/or split. It happens frequently in summertime storms in the southeast. A majority in the background were pine, which are softwood and pliable, but there’s a substantial amount of surface bark left.

Unless there is more drastic damage out there we haven’t seen pics of yet, I see it staying at EF4.

Aren't F5s capable of ripping up asphalt?

If it can rip up asphalt clearly the foundation, topsoil would have been gone too.

So probably a high-end 3 to 4.

Mid-range EF3 apparently at that house. Despite the anchor bolting, there must have been some type of structural flaw that isn’t apparent through pictures. The comparatively mild grass and tree damage does raise an eyebrow, but I was expecting EF4 at least.

• Like 1

Debris travelling crazy distances is a hallmark of high end tornadoes (and often high end setups) and this is no exception.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Not to get confused with other tornado which completely snapped trees at base and caused insane damage to vegetation. That one I firmly believe is mid to high level ef4.

I think they are still working on that one. It started in Slidell's CWA and went into Jackson's. Probably will take a while due to collaboration required. 

Just now, andyhb said:

image.png.39fbb75c8b15f9bf9452800a14c8f02a.png

High end damage all around along this portion of the Bassfield-Soso, MS EF4 track.

Now that's the ground scouring I was expecting to see out of this thing.

10 minutes ago, andyhb said:

image.png.39fbb75c8b15f9bf9452800a14c8f02a.png

High end damage all around along this portion of the Bassfield-Soso, MS EF4 track.

Didnt even realize that was a slabbed house until I found the video. Impressive stuff. 

1 hour ago, Bob's Burgers said:

Yazoo City (2010), Piedmont (2011), Bassfield (2020)

Vrots.JPG

Not sure if this is yours or if you have a twitter account, but this should be shared.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Not sure if this is yours or if you have a twitter account, but this should be shared.

It's mine, you can share it if you want on twitter

edit. NVM. Shared it on twitter.

35 minutes ago, Bob's Burgers said:

It's mine, you can share it if you want on twitter

edit. NVM. Shared it on twitter.

Good stuff, retweeted.

• Like 4

While ratings for tornadoes are fun for speculation, I take them less seriously than hurricane ratings since it is purely damage based.  And also ever since the el Reno tornado was not upgraded based upon in situ Doppler estimates just because it did not produce EF-5 damage.  Judging from the damage pictures it's likely the tornado was anywhere between EF3 and EF5, likely oscillating in strength very frequently as it moved along it's path

When people see houses wiped clean they freak, but most don't understand how easy it is for 140 mph wind with extreme upward motion to remove A small wood frame structure from it's foundation.  Woods lack of rigidity hurts with tornados, where In earthquakes it actually helps.  

• Like 1

Nice little sup in Hines,Fl , showing signs of rotation. Wont be nothing to crazy but could see a weak f0 around that area.  Seeing a sketchy CC drop that aligns with the rotation but could be from the inflow. See what the next scans show (Dont bash me for being from NJ tracking some cells in florida, lol)

*edit* Wouldnt be surprised if there was a weak TOG near Hines,FL 

8 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

How big was the Tornado that hit Moncks Corner, SC?

CHS is doing there surveys currently and have not released any preliminary ratings, other than the potential EF2 at Edisto Beach.