Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

10 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Definitely, agree on needing some kind of "face time" like that.

I found out that AP exams apparently will occur this year (my daughter taking 2 such classes).  From what I gather, they'll allow "open book/notes" and that sort of thing...kind of hard to enforce "closed book" remotely!...but there will obviously be time limits on completing various sections.  So sure, maybe you can Google all you want for some essay, but you might run out of time if you overdo that!  I guess that's about the best option here for that, otherwise, they'd never get AP exams at all this year (similarly for SAT and such, I imagine).

IMO it’s a money grab by the college board, they’re not going to have proctors or cameras, a student could easily have a parent, older brother, etc, help them.  If they can’t ensure it’s a true secure test they should’ve cancelled it. 

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Another overtly political post with absolutely no substantive content.  

And I don’t expect much change in numbers.  Right now, in many places, people aren’t really acting like it’s a lockdown already.  I have my doubts that a critical mass of the population isn’t already behaving in a way that neutralizes or at least muted the effectiveness of the current policies.  Imo we have already seen the impact of that with the flattening but very slow decline or in some places even a continued slow increase.  If we went back to completely open with no altered behaviors at all we probably would see a sudden spike.  But if the “opening” happening looks not that substantialy different from what was actually happening the last 1-2 weeks why would the numbers change? The virus doesn’t care what we call the policy.  The ground truth isn’t actually changing much.  

This sounds like an argument to just stop the charade and open back up. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Have they asked Whole Foods to start storing the bodies in the ice cream freezers yet?

I don't work there anymore but when I did that's where we kept the weed. It lasted longer that way

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, we hardly have a true "lock-down" (a'la Wuhan style).  More just a suppression of activity.  Are we barred from going outside to get some nice air, go for a ride, hike, go to the supermarket, just drive around ...?  No.  Hardly a grotesque infringement on freedom here.  Not saying it doesn't suck, but unusual times and all that.  It won't stop those who are convinced it's all a government ploy to take everything from you,  or that "they" just want an excuse to make this all permanent, etc., etc.  Or that a mask is repressing their right to...I'm not sure what.  How many people who believe that were OK with the stringent security measures taken in the aftermath of September 11?  But hey, that was mostly targeting "certain people", so maybe it was OK and patriotic (that was snark).

This is so tone deaf.

30 million people have lost their jobs or had hours cut. Businesses are not free to open, employees are not free to go to work.

I really think some of you are OK with the lockdowns because they are not affecting you at all.

18 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Apologies.. 22 dead out of 684 for those 50 and under, most of which had underlying conditions.. my calculator doesn't have enough space for all the zeros after the decimal. 

Surely your calculator can handle one zero after the decimal.  As in 0.03216.  Which is a little over 3%.  But that's just like the flu (not)!

13 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Definitely, agree on needing some kind of "face time" like that.

I found out that AP exams apparently will occur this year (my daughter taking 2 such classes).  From what I gather, they'll allow "open book/notes" and that sort of thing...kind of hard to enforce "closed book" remotely!...but there will obviously be time limits on completing various sections.  So sure, maybe you can Google all you want for some essay, but you might run out of time if you overdo that!  I guess that's about the best option here for that, otherwise, they'd never get AP exams at all this year (similarly for SAT and such, I imagine).

I thought I had heard they would be canceled completely. 

10 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I’m still waiting to figure out what the heck to do with daycare. I still pay for distance learning but I’m only doing it to hold my sons spot and give him some socialization. If we aren’t returning to Daycare’s open for 2 months or more he will already be ready to move to Kindergarten.

Same boat. Until a decision for school is made, we can't make any plans in terms of daycare for the kid. We may be juggling working from home some days and others going to the office until school is officially done. For now though, our employers are fine and understanding and are still encouraging people to work from home. 

• Like 1

This is so tone deaf.

30 million people have lost their jobs or had hours cut. Businesses are not free to open, employees are not free to go to work.

I really think some of you are OK with the lockdowns because they are not affecting you at all.

You really have no place making such a statement...about me, or anyone else.  Talk about tone deaf.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

IMO it’s a money grab by the college board, they’re not going to have proctors or cameras, a student could easily have a parent, older brother, etc, help them.  If they can’t ensure it’s a true secure test they should’ve cancelled it. 

Yeah, I've never been a big fan of SAT or that sort of thing, really.

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

You really have no place making such a statement...about me, or anyone else.  Talk about tone deaf.

its easier to not reply to that stupidity. 

• Like 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Your cavalier "let them eat cake" attitude about the lockdowns says otherwise. People's basic liberties to work and run a business have been majorly infringed. This isn't just about "taking car rides" or other misc BS.

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Funny thing is that he's trying to take the stance that he cares about people but its only about them working.

And as far as i know, polling shows that most are still in approval of distancing and shutdowns.  P sure that some of the people polled are ones that have lost jobs

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Funny thing is that he's trying to take the stance that he cares about people but its only about them working.

And as far as i know, polling shows that most are still in approval of distancing and shutdowns.  P sure that some of the people polled are ones that have lost jobs

It's a real fact that more people across the world will die from the effects of the shutdowns than will die from the virus itself. I hope you think of that next time you breathlessly post #StayAtHome on Facebook.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Surely your calculator can handle one zero after the decimal.  As in 0.03216.  Which is a little over 3%.  But that's just like the flu (not)!

Wow VA only has 684 infections and not deaths? You better call the health department and correct them. 

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Steve from Michigan can't get lawn fertilizer

Karen in CA can't get her roots colored

wE LiVe iN nOrTh KoReA!!!!

See? Tone deaf as shit. The people who sell those products and services have gone out of business and now will drop into poverty, unless the gubmint bails them out, I guess.

Says the people working from home in their PJs ordering from DoorDash and Amazon... OK. Fun "sabbatical" you all are having, I'm sure.

SMH

It's a real fact that more people across the world will die from the effects of the shutdowns than will die from the virus itself. I hope you think of that next time you breathlessly post #StayAtHome on Facebook.

Whatever you say!

Just now, PhineasC said:

Look at you caring about people when you didn't care about people prior to this crisis.  Its lol   And I always breathe when posting on Facebook.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, I'm not totally sure, I've heard a couple of different things concerning those exams.  Guess I'll find out in the next couple weeks!

good luck if the tests do happen. im sure your kid will do great.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

What was in the context of the email? Can you share a little bit? Eager to know because my daughter also goes to a VA university. I suspect many will follow form when it comes to whatever U VA puts out there.

Happy to share! I'll sum the whole thing up here because it may be useful to others.

Essentially, UVA sent the students a survey to test our enthusiasm (and willingness to pay) for three different scenarios in the Fall

• A semi-regular semester, starting on-time, where we have seven-week intensive classes along with a regular semester. Classes that require in-persona activities (labs, discussions) might be on the back-end of the semester. Larger classes are likely online.
  • A month delay, then hopefully we return to normal.
  • We start online and on-time and progress to normalcy as soon as possible.

They also tossed out some extra ideas, including

• Weekend classes to allow for more space
  • No classes with 50+ (a placeholder number) people meeting in-person in order to allow smaller lectures to meet in larger spaces, hence meeting social distancing requirements
  • Classes until 10:00pm to allow for more space

They also emphasized that if we return, students will likely need to wear masks and abide by social distancing restrictions. They asked us if we'd be willing to enforce that rules for ourselves and engage in healthy peer pressure for other students, which I found kind of funny.

I'm skeptical we head back, honestly. First-year dorms, where students share bathrooms, hallways, and live in tiny tiny rooms seem light the nightmare scenario for a contagious disease. Our dining halls are literally set up like prisons (Amarak, a prison food contractor, provides our food), and every single class I've ever taken would violate social distancing protocols.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, mappy said:

guys, hes just posting that shit to get a rise out yall. it only works if you reply and get into the stupid weeds with him. 

Yeah, better to cruise above the noise where you don't have to think too hard about all of those unemployed people or poor people starving to death across the world. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

Yeah, better to cruise above the noise where you don't have to think too hard about all of those unemployed people or poor people starving to death across the world. 

if you wish to have a reasonable discussion instead of bringing your emotions into it, i'm more than willing to listen. otherwise, your drivel is just drivel cause youre bored and looking for someone to play with.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic