Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Just now, Inverted_Trough said:

You sure can.  Have you been arrested yet for traveling between any of your three residences?  I doubt it.  There is no lockdown.

The MD order says I cannot leave the state unless it is for an emergency or other "essential" activity. Upon my return, I need to be in isolation for two weeks. Have you even read the orders? Just because you are ignoring them doesn't mean they don't exist, and neighbors have been tattling on each other all over the place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Here is where the truly committed lockdown governors go next: totally shutting off certain cities, regions, or possibly even counties.

https://www.governor.state.nm.us/2020/05/01/gov-authorizes-gallup-lockdown/

Let's stop pretending it can't happen here.

Next stop after this is taking people from home and forcibly sending them to a field hospital "for their own safety and the safety of the community."

Let's hope common sense kicks in long before we get there.

That already happened a couple months ago in New Rochelle in early March.  Before our current restrictions took place.

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Here is where the truly committed lockdown governors go next: totally shutting off certain cities, regions, or possibly even counties.

https://www.governor.state.nm.us/2020/05/01/gov-authorizes-gallup-lockdown/

Let's stop pretending it can't happen here.

Next stop after this is taking people from home and forcibly sending them to a field hospital "for their own safety and the safety of the community."

Let's hope common sense kicks in long before we get there.

Hahah I love that you think the governors (!!) are going to parlay a public health emergency into an excuse to play authoritarian.   Larry Hogan is gonna start locking us up for no reason lol. 

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The MD order says I cannot leave the state unless it is for an emergency or other "essential" activity. Upon my return, I need to be in isolation for two weeks. Have you even read the orders? Just because you are ignoring them doesn't mean they don't exist, and neighbors have been tattling on each other all over the place.

Where have you seen neighbors tattling all over the place?  Sounds like an anecdote.  I thought you didn't deal with those.

Littering is technically a $300 fine but I've never seen anyone get fined for littering.  All rules are written this way.  Go cross the Maryland border and report back.  I promise you won't get arrested.

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Hahah I love that you think the governors (!!) are going to parlay a public health emergency into an excuse to play authoritarian.   Larry Hogan is gonna start locking us up for no reason lol. 

It's already happened. The measures they have instituted in this country are completely unprecedented. It wasn't even like this during the Civil War. Forcibly closing schools, churches, businesses, restricting travel, grounding flights... never happened here before on anything approaching this scale. So yeah, the authoritarian bent is definitely coming out.

1 minute ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Where have you seen neighbors tattling all over the place?  Sounds like an anecdote.  I thought you didn't deal with those.

Littering is technically a $300 fine but I've never seen anyone get fined for littering.  All rules are written this way.  Go cross the Maryland border and report back.  I promise you won't get arrested.

Your argument is stupid. It's essentially that the lockdown orders are fine because you can just ignore them and nothing will happen. 

But when protestors ignore them, you flip out about it. Pretty interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

You obviously have no understanding of the Constitution

I'm sure the Founders intended for states to use a "Riot Control Act" to completely shut off a city with some positive COVID-19 cases. A city with a major interstate highway passing through it. Sounds good.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's already happened. The measures they have instituted in this country are completely unprecedented. It wasn't even like this during the Civil War. Forcibly closing schools, churches, businesses, restricting travel, grounding flights... never happened here before on anything approaching this scale. So yeah, the authoritarian bent is definitely coming out.

It’s cute.  Go ahead and keep worrying that Larry Hogan’s secret old bay gestapo is gonna pull you from your home and send you to a fever center.  Hahaha I crack up just thinking about it. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

It’s cute.  Go ahead and keep worrying that Larry Hogan’s secret old bay gestapo is gonna pull you from your home and send you to a fever center.  Hahaha I crack up just thinking about it. 

You'd most likely just salute him as he drove by in his armored car and thank him for keeping you safe. There is definitely a large subset of Americans who are practically begging the government to lock them down and promise them safety. 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm sure the Founders intended for states to use a "Riot Control Act" to completely shut off a city with some positive COVID-19 cases. A city with a major interstate highway passing through it. Sounds good.

They should have explicitly put it in the Constitution then.  They were smart people.

You'd most likely just salute him as he drove by in his armored car and thank him for keeping you safe. There is definitely a large subset of Americans who are practically begging the government to lock them down and promise them safety. 

Hahaha I really actually do think this is funny.  I hope you keep worrying about this a lot cause it’s great from an entertainment standpoint.  

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Your argument is stupid. It's essentially that the lockdown orders are fine because you can just ignore them and nothing will happen. 

But when protestors ignore them, you flip out about it. Pretty interesting.

I never flipped out about the protesters.  I prefer that they wear an "I protested today" sticker so I can stay 20 feet away from them, but other than that I have no issues.

Folks need to study history if they think it's "cute" to believe the government can be given an inch and then take a mile. Literally every totalitarian regime starts this way. We shouldn't be cheering this shit and hoping it stays this way. Take a damned civics class.

Our government was much more authoritative during WW2.  They gave most of that control back after the war.  If you feel our leaders are too authoritative you can vote them out.  If they suspended elections then I'd be more concerned.  Otherwise there are mechanisms in place to change our government.

4 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Hahaha I really actually do think this is funny.  I hope you keep worrying about this a lot cause it’s great from an entertainment standpoint.  

I am way more worried about a further erosion of our rights as US citizens than I am about COVID-19. If you are comfortable living in the warm embrace of an overbearing government and have more faith in Larry Hogan to protect you than in yourself, that's your decision. I personally am not OK with drones flying overhead to check temperatures and closing off cities based on COVID test results.

3 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Our government was much more authoritative during WW2.  They gave most of that control back after the war.  If you feel our leaders are too authoritative you can vote them out.  If they suspended elections then I'd be more concerned.  Otherwise there are mechanisms in place to change our government.

With business production and some rationing, yes. They never forcibly shut down churches, businesses, sports, travel, etc. I think a lot of folks will just vote with their feet and move to states like Texas and Florida, a trend that is already happening.

Oh, and elections have been canceled. NY canceled their primaries. More is coming in November unless we push back on it.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's called the Interstate Commerce Clause, champ.

The 10th amendment provides states great latitude for doing things in the interest of public health.

The Interstate Commerce Clause actually supports the idea that a national stay-at-home order might be constitutional.  So is that what you're arguing now?  LOL.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

With business production and some rationing, yes. They never forcibly shut down churches, businesses, sports, travel, etc. I think a lot of folks will just vote with their feet and move to states like Texas and Florida, a trend that is already happening.

Oh, and elections have been canceled. NY canceled their primaries. More is coming in November unless we push back on it.

You seem to minimize what happened back then because it's not convenient to your argument.  But that rationing meant significant limitations on daily activities.  There actually were travel restrictions back then because of fuel rationing.  Many sports were also cancelled.  But yes, you probably could get a haircut back then.  They had freedom!

25 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

You seem to minimize what happened back then because it's not convenient to your argument.  But that rationing meant significant limitations on daily activities.  There actually were travel restrictions back then because of fuel rationing.  Many sports were also cancelled.  But yes, you probably could get a haircut back then.  They had freedom!

It’s hard to even follow what his argument is anymore.  It’s basically an amalgamation of all the worst takes tied up in one bundle. 

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Herd immunity doesn't require 100% of people to get infected. The infection rate will slow before we get to 70% infected and the death rate will plummet once the "easy victims" are out of the system/isolated. The other alternative is to sit at home for 2 years and pray the vaccine works (no guarantee). It's going to be your personal call because there is no way we are getting a test and trace system like South Korea. It really is that simple, folks. 

You keep selling it’s all or nothing. There is a HUGE policy space in between “open up and some people are gonna die” and “stay in hard core lockdown for years”. You are presenting a binary choice when the truth is a nuanced range of options.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

LOL

There are more people at your local grocery store today than were at that protest. Some crowds are still an accepted "norm" during this lockdown, it's just that this particular crowd at the state house has you super triggered because they we're gun-toting conservatives. Be real.

But again I’m not claiming trips to the grocery store don’t add risk. They do. That’s why some people are trying to avoid that too. But people need food. You’re using a false equivalence here. 

• Like 1

It’s hard to even follow what his argument is anymore.  It’s basically an amalgamation of all the worst takes tied up in one bundle. 

He’s very easy to follow and has been consistent with his arguments. I think the issue has more to do with the fact that it’s not what you want to hear.
  • Like 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic