• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

5 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

I think I’ve made my age obvious but I became a Rangers fan in the late 60s when we got a NY tv station (WOR) on cable.  My hero was Rod Gilbert (RIP) and the rest of the GAG line and Eddie Giacomin. They made it to the Stanley Cup finals in the early 70s but couldn’t get past the Bruins. Then the team was broken up by Emil Francis. They had the magical run in (I believe) 79 with Jon Davidson but wasn’t until the early/mid 90s that they became contenders again.   Then about 10 years ago they had several good years with Lundqvist et al.   They have a pretty good team this year but I’m not sure if they’re cup contenders. BTW, I think it’s ironic that I grew up in Little Falls, NY. and you’re in LF, NJ. 

Great summary!  Fond memories of watching the Rangers as a kid down around the city before moving to SE VA. My older cousin, was a big Rod Gilbert fangirl, so always watched NYR when visiting with her in her high rise.  

Another fond memory was listening to "The Big Whistle" Bill Chadwick doing color for games. Can't count the number of times he'd yell "shoot the puck Barry!" Referring to Barry Beck in the playoffs vs LA one season.  We got mileage out of that playing street hockey. That and POTVIN SUCKS! LOL.

Trading Brad Park and Jean Ratelle to the Bruinstains for net-hanger Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais still bothers me.  Anti-genius move by "the cat" Emile Francis as (much like with Roger Clemens), Park was not exactly in "the sunset" of his career.

My last Ranger game in person was for my birthday back in the late 1990s vs the Bruinstains when Gretzky played for them.  For that matter i remember when the Indianapolis Racers of the WHA had this young phenom named Gretzky.

I knew in 1994 that I'd never see them win the Cup again. Heja Messier!

The “Big Whistle” was one of a kind. A one eyed former referee. Some of his classic expressions:  “He went around him like a rope around a post” and after Anders Hedberg missed a wide open net:  “He couldn’t spit in the ocean off the end of the pier”

Im not sure what got into Francis when he decided to disband the team.  It started when he traded Giacomin to Detroit.  His first game for Detroit was back in the Garden against the Rangers. Giacomin was so loved by Ranger fans that they loudly cheered against the Rangers that night with chants of Eddie, Eddie. The game was won by Detroit. 

Ratelle and Park both went on to have successful second careers with Boston as much as I hated that team. When I was a kid I loved all the fighting in hockey at that time. When I see those games now it doesn’t even look like hockey. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Are all you Central NY guys Rangers/Giants fans? I know some of you guys grew up there. What made you guys leave the big city?

I am Rangers, Giants but...Mets LOL (and Borussia Dortmund for real football - soccer). I left NYC area initially due to parents ultimately moving to VA (and then BGM), but I stayed in VA for Uni.  My moves since then were all job related (USN...hence CT) and since then engineering positions.  The $ and job dictates most of it.  I was small when i saw my Dad, a senior aerospace engineer laid off in the vicious recession of 1972/73.  He was gone on temp contract positions to fill the void (i got to go to school in Frankfurt Germany and Pascagoula MS for 1/2 a year LOL!).  So that influenced my mindset.  Stay flexible, go where the best job and $ is.  Though I must say that when I was offered a position in Oswego...the thought of 100"+ per year had a sway in my decision.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I am Rangers, Giants but...Mets LOL (and Borussia Dortmund for real football - soccer). I left NYC area initially due to parents ultimately moving to VA (and then BGM), but I stayed in VA for Uni.  My moves since then were all job related (USN...hence CT) and since then engineering positions.  The $ and job dictates most of it.  I was small when i saw my Dad, a senior aerospace engineer laid off in the vicious recession of 1972/73.  He was gone on temp contract positions to fill the void (i got to go to school in Frankfurt Germany and Pascagoula MS for 1/2 a year LOL!).  So that influenced my mindset.  Stay flexible, go where the best job and $ is.  Though I must say that when I was offered a position in Oswego...the thought of 100"+ per year had a sway in my decision.  ;)

I was born not far from Frankfort in Mainz Germany lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Awesome story! I grew up a Bills/Sabres fan and got into baseball cards very young with my best friend at the time and I got a few Derek Jeter rookie cards and shortstop was my favorite position so I became fans of Yankees at a very early age, didn't hurt that the team was good. I don't really have a basketball team, I do like the Bulls because of Jordan but don't really cheer for one team. 

Would love to go to Germany. I'm a big fan of castles and I hear there are tons of them over there. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Awesome story! I grew up a Bills/Sabres fan and got into baseball cards very young with my best friend at the time and I got a few Derek Jeter rookie cards and shortstop was my favorite position so I became fans of Yankees at a very early age, didn't hurt that the team was good. I don't really have a basketball team, I do like the Bulls because of Jordan but don't really cheer for one team. 

Would love to go to Germany. I'm a big fan of castles and I hear there are tons of them over there. 

Vienna Austria has castles that you wouldn't believe.

• Like 2

Interested in today's US v Canada World Cup soccer qualifier. Not a must win but if we do, we jump over Canada at top of the bracket. Canada missing the best player on either side, Alphonso Davies of Bayern Munich...

It's on at 3pm, same time as Bungles v Mahomes.  Beauty of soccer is it'll be done and dusted by about the time the NFL game starts 3rd Q.   Should be pretty cold in Hamilton Ontario. But better than when Canada hosted Mexico...in Edmonton last month in 10F weather and a frozen solid pitch. Sheer genius by the Canucks (they won 2:1).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Bills still would have sucked without Brady playing in the AFC East

Well it doesn't help when there are 16 games and you're guaranteed 2 losses every year to one of those teams. It shortens the season to 14 games and only 6 made it in the AFC during that time. Your probabilities are substantially reduced in making the playoffs. Bradys record against the Bills was like 33-3

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Well it doesn't help when there are 16 games and you're guaranteed 2 losses every year to one of those teams. It shortens the season to 14 games and only 6 made it in the AFC during that time. Your probabilities are substantially reduced in making the playoffs. Bradys record against the Bills was like 33-3

Bills should've been hosting the game today. Still can't get over the 0:13 disaster, and I'm a NYG fan. Have "they" put a name to that game yet?