Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

9 hours ago, finnster said:

Thanks Chinook, that latest snow  (at least for me) was a surprise.  Just curious:  what do you estimate your snow total is so far this month?

Here's my snow totals

FEB 2020
feb 3-4: freezing drizzle and 7.2" of snow
feb 4-5: 1"
feb 5: low temp of -5 to -15
feb 6: trace of snow + before midnight, wet roads
feb 7-8: 5"
feb 9: 0.5"
feb 10: 2"
feb 12-13: 2.5"

18.2"

Loveland 2N co-op station (up to yesterday): 15.5", 0.88" Note: we really didn't get -16 degrees on two different days.

ONGKjCZ.jpg

19 hours ago, HawaiianHurricane said:

Hi guys, new to the forum. Been interested in weather since I was a kid. Originally lived in South Carolina but moved out to Hawaii for College in the early 2000's and never left.

Welcome! Question for you: what do weather enthusiasts in Hawaii get excited about locally? Guessing wind/wave events in the winter and trade wind/tropical wave interactions producing flooding in the summer.

In the short term, the NAM/Euro/Canadian show snow should happen Monday night and Tuesday, along with higher amounts over 18" in the mountains. In the long term, We may have something interesting to watch on the ensembles for cold temperatures and snow, for the February 25th time frame.  It's not like I really need to shovel a lot more right now.

xLloJ3U.png

Xwm95MV.png

Hey guys... gf and I have started exploring CO as a possible spot to relocate to...(previously had been Wy but just don’t see that working out)

anyways curious on the weather in the woodland park, larkspur, woodmoor,CO springs block...Will take other options these areas just seem to best fit most of our criteria..Btw no kids or plans for them so schools are of no concern.

I know that WLP is the most remote and highest thus the most extreme in terms of winter.

I’ve read elsewhere that there are some crazy hail storms in parts of CO but no one gives specifics or is it the whole state? I’ve also seen it mentioned many areas along the front range are prone to flooding. Again is this everywhere or specific spots?

Is there a lot of wind in the area given the location to the mountains?

Ideally we want rural-ish(10-15k people) but within 45 minutes to Denver/COS. Summer temps maxing out 75-80 w/o the east coast humidity(Ive read the humidity wont be an issue )I’d like something in the 100”/yr snow territory. 
Any other area tidbits welcomed.

3 hours ago, Polarbear said:

Hey guys... gf and I have started exploring CO as a possible spot to relocate to...(previously had been Wy but just don’t see that working out)

anyways curious on the weather in the woodland park, larkspur, woodmoor,CO springs block...Will take other options these areas just seem to best fit most of our criteria..Btw no kids or plans for them so schools are of no concern.

I know that WLP is the most remote and highest thus the most extreme in terms of winter.

I’ve read elsewhere that there are some crazy hail storms in parts of CO but no one gives specifics or is it the whole state? I’ve also seen it mentioned many areas along the front range are prone to flooding. Again is this everywhere or specific spots?

Is there a lot of wind in the area given the location to the mountains?

Ideally we want rural-ish(10-15k people) but within 45 minutes to Denver/COS. Summer temps maxing out 75-80 w/o the east coast humidity(Ive read the humidity wont be an issue )I’d like something in the 100”/yr snow territory. 
Any other area tidbits welcomed.

If you live on the Palmer Divide (Palmer Lake and east of it) there will be some 2" hailstorms. Along with that, hailstorms can lead to street flooding, and "hail drifts."  As you can see on the SPC severe plot image, the high plain area is prone to 1"-2" hail, plus tornadoes on the east side of the Palmer Divide. The mountainous areas even get 0.75"-1" hail sometimes. See reference map with county boundaries on the right. This severe data is from 2010-2017. Luckily, the chance of fatalities in Colorado tornadoes is nearly zero.

All of these places should get decent snowfall. North facing areas of the Palmer Divide will have snow and blizzard conditions from time to time. They warm up very quickly with 40mph chinook winds at some times during the winter. Places closer to Boulder and Golden have a greater chance of extreme chinook winds (70mph.) This is one of the places where you could have a winter storm watch and a tornado warning on the same day (Springtime only.)

7kCG3py.jpg

On 2/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, Polarbear said:

Wouldn't we all!!! Been here 10 years and it keeps feeling more and more crowded.

Probably the Larkspur/Monument area fits that bill the best right now... but 10 years ago, Castle Rock did, and now it's becoming overrun. So expect change...

Make sure you have a steel or slate roof if you can. That area (N side of Palmer Divide) is a bit of a hail capital in June.

Summer temps will max out about 90 or better anywhere below 8000 ft. But that's OK, as dry as it is. You will wish it was more humid sometimes!

42 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Wouldn't we all!!! Been here 10 years and it keeps feeling more and more crowded.

Probably the Larkspur/Monument area fits that bill the best right now... but 10 years ago, Castle Rock did, and now it's becoming overrun. So expect change...

Make sure you have a steel or slate roof if you can. That area (N side of Palmer Divide) is a bit of a hail capital in June.

Summer temps will max out about 90 or better anywhere below 8000 ft. But that's OK, as dry as it is. You will wish it was more humid sometimes!

Polarbear - you need to be in the mountains to hit all of these temp/snowfall criteria.  Given the time constraints you listed, Evergreen/Conifer area may be best.  For the snowfall you are looking for, maybe Bailey?

Hey guys,  just dropping in here now to say hello! I'll be moving out to DEN/BOU near the end of June to start at the WFO. Looking forward to some future discussions with you all, and I'm excited to live in a slightly more exciting state! Hopefully you'll be seeing me in more threads around here over the next few months. Any advice on the best places to live would always be appreciated (and maybe the best places to get out to storm chase from too ;))

1 hour ago, AppsRunner said:

Hey guys,  just dropping in here now to say hello! I'll be moving out to DEN/BOU near the end of June to start at the WFO. Looking forward to some future discussions with you all, and I'm excited to live in a slightly more exciting state! Hopefully you'll be seeing me in more threads around here over the next few months. Any advice on the best places to live would always be appreciated (and maybe the best places to get out to storm chase from too ;))

Well well another one leaving the NW Ohio area. I nearly got relocated to CS but it's gonna be Charleston instead for work. The office is out of Boulder correct?

2 hours ago, AppsRunner said:

Welcome and congrats on the new job! I promise we won't complain about your forecasts. :) Probably the biggest shock will be $$$$$ for living in the BOU area.

• Like 1

The next storm on Sunday should have some areas of snow from Denver, eastward to Goodland, KS. Otherwise, models differ on details.  Areas of the plains should be above freezing and may get rain initially. The way things are going, this storm will find a way to bring snow to my house.

7vyu579.png

The Euro has a 985 mb Typhoon hitting east of Darwin, Australia in a few days. Once it weakens, there should be a pretty massive crash in the SOI, shortly before March, probably around 2/26. That would set up the 3/7-3/14 window I've been targeting for major SW precipitation for months pretty well if it happens, as you tend to get major precipitation events in the SW 10 days after a major SOI crash.

• Like 1