• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring/Summer 2019

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

If we stay dry during the midweek period I suppose we could make a run at it...my personal feeling is we max out around 95-96 but we'll see. 

I think Friday may be the best shot at 100.  Get some downsloping and some drying of the air I think we may have a shot.   It really doesn't matter add moisture and temperatures are a tad lower but it feels worse. Bring on fall!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, daxx said:

I think Friday may be the best shot at 100.  Get some downsloping and some drying of the air I think we may have a shot.   It really doesn't matter add moisture and temperatures are a tad lower but it feels worse. Bring on fall!

just parsing over new GooFuS and Saturday appears locked in on cooking us.  Friday/Sun have ticked back a bit.  But thats just model run watching and not looking at synoptics.  Find a pool, and stay close to it.....only to leave it when beers empty.

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

just parsing over new GooFuS and Saturday appears locked in on cooking us.  Friday/Sun have ticked back a bit.  But thats just model run watching and not looking at synoptics.  Find a pool, and stay close to it.....only to leave it when beers empty.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/07/hottest-temperatures-in-7-years-expected-during-heat-wave.html

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Excessive heat warnings coming from CTP later, according to their disco. 

I just hope that folks realize that even though we have social media and a gazillion alerts incoming....its just a good ol' fashioned heat wave.

No need to get all hyperbolic in over discussing it.  

Its gonna be hot....but its been hot before and it'll be hot again.  Now that i just turned 50, I can see the ol' timer in me coming out.  lol

• Like 2

Just now, pasnownut said:

I just hope that folks realize that even though we have social media and a gazillion alerts incoming....its just a good ol' fashioned heat wave.

No need to get all hyperbolic in over discussing it.  

Its gonna be hot....but its been hot before and it'll be hot again.  Now that i just turned 50, I can see the ol' timer in me coming out.  lol

Thank you! 100% agree with every word penned right here...

Just for fun, and to prove my total ignorance, here are my guesses for highest recorded temps as we experience the wave:

THV: 99

MDT: 96

LNS: 97

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Just for fun, and to prove my total ignorance, here are my guesses for highest recorded temps as we experience the wave:

and on a weather board, I fully expect discussion, so dont think I'm trying to stop that.  Its what we do here....heck I'm here and usually not.  I guess i just cant stay away from you guys.  Guess I'm gettin soft in my old age.

I'm talking about outside of here and all of the OMG i never saw it like this before.....blah blah...

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

and on a weather board, I fully expect discussion, so dont think I'm trying to stop that.  Its what we do here....heck I'm here and usually not.  I guess i just cant stay away from you guys.  Guess I'm gettin soft in my old age.

I'm talking about outside of here and all of the OMG i never saw it like this before.....blah blah...

Yep, thanks for clarifying...

Can't remember the year (stuff like this happens at my age) but there was a July heatwave back in the 90s that will be tough to beat. I remember working on a Saturday morning and LNS was 96 at 9am. Ninety freaking six. I think we ended up at a buck o four that day. Dews were outrageous as well. That...was miserable. 

Edit: It was 1997. LNS had consecutive days over 100, on one of which it was 96 at the 10am reading. 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, thanks for clarifying...

Can't remember the year (stuff like this happens at my age) but there was a July heatwave back in the 90s that will be tough to beat. I remember working on a Saturday morning and LNS was 96 at 9am. Ninety freaking six. I think we ended up at a buck o four that day. Dews were outrageous as well. That...was miserable. 

Yea I believe it was 1995. Just brutal!

Growing up in Dallas everyone talked about the summer of 1980 and how it was just relentless heat. Every July day was 100+ and that summer Dallas had 28 days above 105. I was born in 81 so just missed out!

In the early 90s we had some terrible summers where we would always get a string of 103+ days but it'd be broken up by mid 90s.

2011 was a brutal Texas summer too but nothing will top 1980 in Dallas. 

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Growing up in Dallas everyone talked about the summer of 1980 and how it was just relentless heat. Every July day was 100+ and that summer Dallas had 28 days above 105. I was born in 81 so just missed out!

In the early 90s we had some terrible summers where we would always get a string of 103+ days but it'd be broken up by mid 90s.

2011 was a brutal Texas summer too but nothing will top 1980 in Dallas. 

I remember when the Rangers played at old Arlington Stadium that they were the only MLB team to play their Sunday home games in the evening because it was just too hot during the afternoon. 

43 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Only thing i'm certain of, the temperature of my bottle of Sam Adams Summer Ale, will be 33 degrees. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I remember when the Rangers played at old Arlington Stadium that they were the only MLB team to play their Sunday home games in the evening because it was just too hot during the afternoon. 

I'd think turf fields might just suck a bit in heat/humidity like this.  I know when my kid played soccer, she said it was x deg hotter than natural grass.  Yuk

@NWSStateCollege
57m
All eyes on a HOT weekend in Pennsylvania. Heat indices topping out in the 90s and 100s Friday and Saturday as the remnants of Barry usher in tropical heat and humidity. Step outside when you can today, because it will be another 7 days before the humidity drops off again. #PAwx pic.twitter.com/aDJWR1T0fY

44 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We had season tickets back then - that place was a total dive haha. 

2 hours ago, canderson said:

We had season tickets back then - that place was a total dive haha. 

You would know, but I so miss the old ballparks. I saw over 600 games at Memorial Stadium, which many thought was a total dump. Personally, I would give my heart and soul to watch baseball there over Camden Yards any day or night. 

Bringing weather into it, I was an 18 year old Sunday season ticket holder back in 1984 at Memorial. Took a friend from work down to a Sunday afternoon double dip against the Tigers. (they started that year 35-5) At any rate, the Tigers won game #1 12-4 and were up 10-0 in the nightcap and there I sat blissfully watching the game I love so much. The guy with me was beside himself that we were still there, 6 hours after game #1 started. You see, the announced temperature at game time was 101 degrees. And like Arlington Stadium, Memorial Stadium's upper level was almost entirely metal benches with metal backs. There were over 50,000 at 2pm...probably about 500 of us at 8pm, lol.

That was the hottest sporting event I've attended. I've been to a lot of 'em. 

Edit: If any of you go to an O's game (no idea why any would want to, sadly) but anyway...take note of the announced game time temperature. Since sometime at least back to the 1970s the temperature has ALWAYS been an odd number. It's a tradition that I'm not sure how it started but I know it to be true.