• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

43F currently at 2:30pm on March 27th also the high temperature. The depth of this arctic air mass for the time of season is insane considering 100% sunshine, not to mention a now retreating east high pressure. Good indicator of how deep the cold air masses have been entrenched in Canada and the northern plains. When do we ever underperform on high temps by 5F with full sun?

Also good riddance to this useless cold should be the last of it's kind for this season, at least i hope.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Today's forecast high lowered 5F. Back to back days under perform with mostly sunny skies.

Sweet! Better CAD set up before our next storm.

I've shocked myself more these last few days with the low DPs than I have all winter.

42 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Sweet! Better CAD set up before our next storm.

I've shocked myself more these last few days with the low DPs than I have all winter.

Looks like another strong noreaster and the first one which will be far off the coast of the entire past cold season but not enough cold. This one is a strong candidate for if only it came two weeks earlier.

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

Looks like another potential coastal storm for our area is down the tubes. I will give it until the 12z runs tomorrow but otherwise this threat looks like its over as of now.

Let's out a long exhale of relief aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Maybe this is the break that changes the pattern to less mud

Hit a high of 75 here yesterday, which was the warmest since March 15th (where it was 74 IMBY) and warmest of the calendar year so far.  Will be interesting to see where the temp ends up after the fronts come through.  Currently 57 and mostly cloudy with some sun peaking through a broken deck of clouds.

Got down to 28F here last night, and likely will get there tonight as well. Might be a bit late for this but we are trying to save some of the blooms on the white Magnolia which came out in force last week. A little surprising since it hasn't been all that warm (until late last week). Used some bamboo poles to put a frost blanket over it, looks funny but hopefully it helps! :lol:

White-Magnolia_4-10-19.thumb.jpg.50800c164984731031fbf9d7435edd8d.jpg

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Got down to 28F here last night, and likely will get there tonight as well. Might be a bit late for this but we are trying to save some of the blooms on the white Magnolia which came out in force last week. A little surprising since it hasn't been all that warm (until late last week). Used some bamboo poles to put a frost blanket over it, looks funny but hopefully it helps! :lol:

At first glance i wanted to say the snow pile is damn impressive for April 1st 

17 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

LOL I thought that was your snow pile under cover to hold it intact at least until May! :lol:

There's a recently-planted (I think in 2017) star magnolia blooming near me at the moment (along with some cherry trees).  It started blooming last week which was surprising.  When my lilacs were younger, I used to put all manner of frost cloth and sheets over them because they would start swelling their buds so early and then bam!  In comes a frost or freeze. For a couple seasons, the earliest flower buds were toasted if I didn't cover it. And several times I had to do it for cold nights that weren't even cold triggered by radiational cooling. It would be when the winds were also kicking up (probably CAA) and I had to somehow try to keep the sheets from blowing off. :axe:

They are trying to leaf out right now but I have stopped worrying about them.  It went down to 30 as a low the past couple early mornings and I think the real damage happens at the 28 and below hard freeze temp. Most of the flower buds are fortunately deeper inside the outer leaf sheafs and I think this morning's low may be the last of the below freezing temps now, at least for the next 10 days.