Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion

John1122

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

It is but it's usually pretty good at 500mb if nothing else. I see big totals out of it on Tropical all the time but this is the first time I've seen a big map on Pivotal with the ratio added onto it.

Oh i think its gonna get cold,not sure about the snow but with a MJO,SSWE I CAN SEE THIS

fv3p_T2m_us_47.png

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

If we can get a snowpack, maybe we can get some diamond dust again!

I think it was 2014 or 15 we had some reports of the phenomenon in Knoxville

I was just fixing to post something to the align.If there is a snow pack of that extreme,there should and would be some parts of the Valley seeing all time record lows..JMHO

• Like 1

With the temps/ratios and clippers that followed on the FV3 most of the region would see 10-30+ inches of snow over that 16 day run. I'm not sure if any place has a snow map for it for the entire 384 or not.

These temps aren't unrealistic with the time of year/pattern at 500mb and snow cover. This is also at 1am/12am in our region. Temps would probably be 3-4 degrees colder by sunrise.

sfct.us_ov.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

With the temps/ratios and clippers that followed on the FV3 most of the region would see 10-30+ inches of snow over that 16 day run. I'm not sure if any place has a snow map for it for the entire 384 or not.

These temps aren't unrealistic with the time of year/pattern at 500mb and snow cover. This is also at 1am/12am in our region. Temps would probably be 3-4 degrees colder.

sfct.us_ov.png

The PV is doing it's job,just like Berlin keeps the split and the cold daughter on the North America side.It's gonna get freaking cold.The coldest daughter continues to be on our side even 10 days out.

111.png

• Like 3

So thoughts on model performance? I know since we've been talking about the American suite this may seem like a poke at it. It isn't. I feel like this upcoming period is important for us, so trying to figure out which of the big 3 (GFS, Fv3, Euro) to hedge on. Ok, well, to be totally fair, the question I have, is the Fv3 doing better than the GFS? I know Jeff said it was missing data, but the NE folks (even a Met) seem to think that has been resolved. 

Below are the trends of the forecast for those three for the current storm, in that order:

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif

To me, it looks like the Fv3 did better than the GFS within 5 days. It also looks like once you get within 5 days, the general idea is pretty well what we get, even if those subtle shifts (100 miles N or S) make a world of difference

Here are the official stats too: 

cor_day5_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png.02ddbd747ca225d528045d0720b5aebe.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

The PV is doing it's job,just like Berlin keeps the split and the cold daughter on the North America side.It's gonna get freaking cold.The coldest daughter continues to be on our side even 10 days out.

The FV3 got even colder towards the end of it's run. Over that deep snow pack and those shots of cold from clippers, we approach 1985 cold. Once again, this would be 1 am. Temps would probably be 3-5 degrees colder by sunrise. A few years ago models started advertising this crazy cold in February in the long range and I couldn't believe it. But then it actually happened. This type of cold also fits into the pattern when SSWE happen in late December. 

Extremely dry atmosphere by this time. The 700mb DP is off the charts, way below -40. 

sfct.us_ov.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Stole this from another board, but also like this trend on the EPS for more split flow and PNA:

ecm1.gif.8ec9db281b257664b2de17351139e90

Context for the graphic for full disclosure:

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/1548-eastern-us-jan-2019-consolidated-disc-obs/?page=180&tab=comments#comment-119031 

Not sure how you can tell tho if this is a split flow without looking at NA,this could just as well be a phase?

Really wouldn't pay attention in the long range,believe someone in the Valley is going to get pounded.My concern tho is how cold it's going to get that could potentially suppress systems.We'll  see how it plays out.I still think the system to watch is around the 25-26th.But anyways the models are gonna have a rough time with the SSWE,just like the GFS this afternoon showed an Omega building into the AK region tonight shows an Omega trying to build into Greenland,Your gonna see many changes upcoming..JMHO

gfs_z500a_nhem_53.png

• Mr Bob locked and unpinned this topic