Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

1 hour ago, Buckeye1994 said:

As of right now, looks as if some back end snow for the storm system this week might drop (Trace-1/2inch) of snow on the central Miami Valley with a 2-4 inch Clipper System to watch this weekend. 

Keep in mind clippers typically overperform for us in Ohio. Temps look to be low teens so 15/20:1 ratios would be likely. Long ways out but something to track.

another time frame to watch for is day 7-9.   No specific storm on any of the ops but the upper air pattern is explosive.   A strong piece of energy rotating south around the PV while the southern stream tries to develop a strong system in the gulf.    If those phase, and it's at the right time, that would be a monster somewhere east of the miss. and it would probably drive the pv further south.    I'll be curious to see the euro ens.    GEFS has a few biggies.  (one shows a 962 low driving north into southeastern OH).  That's amazingly close to what the '78 featured.

Icon showed something close last night.   The low in the gulf is 990, which is pretty incredible for this time of year.   Blizz of 78 and superstorm 93 both had similar set ups, but timing differences with the phase.

icon.JPG

• Like 2

Hi all, was out of town since last Thurs in the middle of Hocking Hills for the annual winter hike, got drowned during the hike Sat temps hit mid 40s, we never saw the change over there until about midnight then got pounded.  Looked like 6" fell in about 3 hours and our cabin was tucked down in a valley were we had very little wind, we have a toboggan run of a driveway so it was mid afternoon before we got out of there yesterday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

another time frame to watch for is day 7-9.   No specific storm on any of the ops but the upper air pattern is explosive.   A strong piece of energy rotating south around the PV while the southern stream tries to develop a strong system in the gulf.    If those phase, and it's at the right time, that would be a monster somewhere east of the miss. and it would probably drive the pv further south.    I'll be curious to see the euro ens.    GEFS has a few biggies.  (one shows a 962 low driving north into southeastern OH).  That's amazingly close to what the '78 featured.

Icon showed something close last night.   The low in the gulf is 990, which is pretty incredible for this time of year.   Blizz of 78 and superstorm 93 both had similar set ups, but timing differences with the phase.

icon.JPG

Ya know I seen that on the gefs, but figured it was a blip. Curious how often a member shows something that low.. any idea?

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

supposedly 990 would be the lowest mslp in the gulf (in winter) since March 93.

I'm just curious how often one of the gefs members shows such a strong low. Is it often it shows something like that? I dont recall seeing it, but I dont really look at every single individual member usually either.

1 hour ago, dilly84 said:

I'm just curious how often one of the gefs members shows such a strong low. Is it often it shows something like that? I dont recall seeing it, but I dont really look at every single individual member usually either.

2 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

During the last system, several members would show huge runs in the 144+ time frame. It is not that unusual.

Low 960s is pretty uncommon,,even on rogue ensemble runs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chuckster2012 said:

It still shows it? Op run shows no low anywhere near Ohio. You'd think that a low that strong would show up on nearly all the models at 192 hours..

No because its only a few panels that show a strong low. Only one that shows it. And it kinda does show it. But it's off the coast. Gets down to 977 I believe

Looks like some nickle and dime'n over the next week

-I'd still keep an eye out for some backside lov'n, (no sexual inuendo intended), possibly thursday night.   Wouldn't be surprised to see that come a little further west.  Wouldn't be a biggie, but might be good enough to cover the grass back up after we lose the snow cover from the rain.

-Then a possible weak system over the weekend, (ggem most bullish on that one)

-Then a stronger clipper Monday timeframe, (models want to take that north of us but should watch for a south trend).

9 hours ago, buckeye said:

I'd still keep an eye out for some backside lov'n, (no sexual inuendo intended), possibly thursday night.   Wouldn't be surprised to see that come a little further west.  Wouldn't be a biggie, but might be good enough to cover the grass back up after we lose the snow cover from the rain.

Looks like WPC agrees with you.

day2_psnow_gt_04.gif

1 hour ago, vespasian70 said:

Hopefully a trend!

I find that clippers develop quite nicely as we get closer to the event. All aboard the clipper train!

I’ve been touting this for years now. Give me a clipper w/ high ratios any day. Beats holding your breath on the rain/snow line all day like this past Saturday!

40 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

I’ve been touting this for years now. Give me a clipper w/ high ratios any day. Beats holding your breath on the rain/snow line all day like this past Saturday!

Both the 18zgfs, and fv3 both trended significantly south with the monday clipper.  Euro is still north but I bet it also comes south.   It would be unusual for such a strong clipper to go through northern OH, especially this time of year with the PV so far south.

10 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Both the 18zgfs, and fv3 both trended significantly south with the monday clipper.  Euro is still north but I bet it also comes south.   It would be unusual for such a strong clipper to go through northern OH, especially this time of year with the PV so far south.

Agreed