Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

21 minutes ago, buckeye said:

we all know that it's nothing more than a snapshot in time....but as of todays 12z runs, they were awesome.    Euro bumped back south to put i70 back as the axis of heaviest snow, widespread 10-15" amounts from Dayton to Pittsburgh.     Icon looks similar with 15" amounts.   Gfs not as sexy but still very nice.  Uk came in line with gfs.  GGEM so far out on it's own it either scores the coupe of the century or get's the dunce cap, (but even it gives us 4-6" as bad as it looks).    Then they all bring the arctic hammer right behind it, close -10 degrees.

No celebration yet....still everything that can go wrong is on the table.   I still think suppression is the biggest potential party-spoiler.   

The FV3 brought back the monster arctic outbreak, but even greater this time.  It shows most of Ohio falling below zero on the 26th and has it stay well below zero through the end of the end of the run on the 31st, with another significant push of arctic air poised to drop south into February.  That's the wildest run I've ever seen for cold in the Great Lakes by any model ever.  For the record, the longest period of below 0 temperatures in Columbus is 56 hours during the 1994 outbreak.  This would blow that away by a good week.

2 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

It bias. I would ignore that completely. It did the same thing with a shittier pattern in December consistently in its cold bias. Part of NCEP's problem is the need to ridge in the pacific. The GGEM can have it at times while the ECMWF is the opposite with a bias to trough in the pacific.

Oh I definitely don't buy it, but it's just something I've never seen on a model before.  I do think many parts of the state go below zero perhaps as early as Sunday night, though. 

1 hour ago, JayPSU said:

18Z GFS with a move north.  I’ve seen this movie before, I know how it ends.

Looks like it attempts some kind of transfer... one low into Kentucky while another reforms further southeast. 

It also has the extreme cold look next week with -20 and below numbers showing up. 

1 minute ago, jbcmh81 said:

Looks like it attempts some kind of transfer... one low into Kentucky while another reforms further southeast. 

It also has the extreme cold look next week with -20 and below numbers showing up. 

I just hope with all that moisture along the front we can get some snow cover before the cold comes down.

1 hour ago, JayPSU said:

18Z GFS with a move north.  I’ve seen this movie before, I know how it ends.

Sure, it could be a trend north, or maybe the fv3 is foretelling a future trend south..... who knows, but forget the snow/rain depiction.  Anytime ma nature wants to bring a low from Oklahoma to central WV with a 1047 arctic banana high pressing southeast, sign me up, I don't care what the gfs says it's going to do on the surface.   That is not a setup that screams nw trend, IMveryHO.

That weird skip where the WV low suddenly disappears and then reappears in SC says a lot about the resistance this is going to have trying to come northeast.  I could even see a scenario where we rain and then a secondary forms on the front that ends up being the main show.   Lot's to work out here.

3 minutes ago, dilly84 said:

Obliterating lol 14-18" with good winds. Agree fun to look at. GFS borderlines CMH but dumps up to 10" north of i70, GEM the same. Definitely a lot to sort still.

Definitely a thread the needle thing for us, but has the potential to be a 'spread the wealth' event.

Plus, do you want to be in the bullseye 5 + days out?

10 minutes ago, vespasian70 said:

Definitely a thread the needle thing for us, but has the potential to be a 'spread the wealth' event.

Plus, do you want to be in the bullseye 5 + days out?

Not liking the north trends in general. Didnt appear to really be likely with this type of setup but its Ohio.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vespasian70 said:

Waiting on buckeye's uncle Ukie report ...

I wish I had a 132hr plot...but at 120 it's further south and at 144 it's way east on the ne coast, so it looks to have abandoned any NW moves at least.

When I saw that icon run my first thought was why does this have to be the icon? Lol.    Not only does it put down like 18", it had winds well over 30mph,  a classic blizzard.   

Nice to see the gem come south....still needs work.   It looks like this is turning into a West to east storm unable to cut nw.   So question remains what factors end up winning out to push the trajectory more north or south.  The low can only strengthen so much without room for the trough to go neg.   I wonder if tonight runs were the north ceiling?  Wishful thinking maybe.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised to see euro bump north again.  How many times have we seen a pattern where the 12z goes south and the 00z goes north and seems to repeat for several runs.  This old man ain't staying up for it either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I wish I had a 132hr plot...but at 120 it's further south and at 144 it's way east on the ne coast, so it looks to have abandoned any NW moves at least.

When I saw that icon run my first thought was why does this have to be the icon? Lol.    Not only does it put down like 18", it had winds well over 30mph,  a classic blizzard.   

Nice to see the gem come south....still needs work.   It looks like this is turning into a West to east storm unable to cut nw.   So question remains what factors end up winning out to push the trajectory more north or south.  The low can only strengthen so much without room for the trough to go neg.   I wonder if tonight runs were the north ceiling?  Wishful thinking maybe.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised to see euro bump north again.  How many times have we seen a pattern where the 12z goes south and the 00z goes north and seems to repeat for several runs.  This old man ain't staying up for it either.

Yup. Trends weren't bad for us, and I totally agree regarding the ICON - nice fantasy though.