Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, sankaty said:

On Jan 18, 2011, I had 2.5" snow and then a fair amount of ice.  The icing was localized to the CRV, but it was one of the bigger ice storms we've had here in the last decade.  We had about 20" of snow OTG before the storm, so encasing everything in ice made for quite an arctic landscape.

And added a huge amount of weight to the pack...which led to many roof collapses after the next 18 inches that fell a week later!!  Pack was huge...shoveled three roofs the end of January that year!!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think the long lull is going to allow for some hype to build, which may engender feelings of frustration if we don't get a large event as early as some hope.

It may take a while.

Yep, sometimes it’s a few days later when you get closer to T=0. I expect some melts. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Look back at the build up to the Christmas on pattern, same posts from the weenie hall of fame sayings about how models always rush pattern changes. Well apparently not always

Weenie hall of fame?

My timing was pretty accurate, dude.. I remember you calling for a big event in early December, and we stayed moderate on 12-9...as was anticipated by the other contingent.

No one is saying torch to Valentine's day, but I'd temper expectations until a bit later in Feb.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Weenie hall of fame?

My timing was pretty accurate, dude.. I remember you calling for a big event in early December, and we stayed moderate on 12-9...as was anticipated by the other contingent.

No one is saying torch to Valentine's day, but I'd temper expectations until a bit later in Feb.

Not talking about your forecast and pretty sure I didn't call for a big event but did expext snow. 

Modeling absolutely nailed the timing and extent of Christmas on. There were the same posts from the same folks saying it would be closer to New Years. 

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not talking about your forecast and pretty sure I didn't call for a big event but did expext snow. 

Modeling absolutely nailed the timing and extent of Christmas on. There were the same posts from the same folks saying it would be closer to New Years. 

Sure seemed like you were talking to either me or Scott.

I do remember you strongly considering a larger event earlier in December...not saying you spoke in absolutes.

4 minutes ago, Powderboy413 said:

It would be nice to get that day 6 event to work out in  our favor. Then it would at least feel like the change is coming earlier than expected. I think by February 5th is when the pattern materializes and deep winter returns. I agree it could come together a few days earlier than that anyhow though.

I hope to god we don't get crushed between the 12th and 20th.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Sure seemed like you were talking to either me or Scott.

I do remember you strongly considering a larger event earlier in December...not saying you spoke in absolutes.

I was expecting 6 to 12 on the 9th only got 5.75, my bad. I did miss a big event that scurried out to sea late though. Very happy with how today turned out. Called for a CNE NNE ice storm in the middle of the "thaw" period. Very bullish on the upcoming pattern starting around the 5th too. Would be surprised if no major snow before the 12th.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I was expecting 6 to 12 on the 9th only got 5.75, my bad. I did miss a big event that scurried out to sea late though. Very happy with how today turned out. Called for a CNE NNE ice storm in the middle of the "thaw" period. Very bullish on the upcoming pattern staring around the 5th too. Would be surprised if no major snow before the 12th.

That was a very good call on the ice storm btw.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That was a very good call on the ice storm btw.

Agreed.

Not looking for a back pat but thanks. The Cyrosphere in Eastern Canada keeps influencing the pattern. Love years where that starts often and early. Lots of feedback we all don't understand completely but there are a few indicators that help us see potential.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not looking for a back pat but thanks. The Cyrosphere in Eastern Canada keeps influencing the pattern. Love years where that starts often and early. Lots of feedback we all don't understand completely but there are a few indicators that help us see potential.

I was shocked by how stubborn the cold was....I admittedly wasn't following the lead up closely.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was shocked by how stubborn the cold was....I admittedly wasn't following the lead up closely.

CAD is such a badly forecasted phenomena. Low DP drains can be traced way up to North of Maine. A bunch of folks were concerned but many were caught flat footed and playing catchup thinking the antecedent conditions would hold it off  Chris from GYX was great the entire event 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

CAD is such a badly forecasted phenomena. Low DP drains can be traced way up to North of Maine. A bunch of folks were concerned but many were caught flat footed and playing catchup thinking the antecedent conditions would hold it off  Chris from GYX was great the entire event 

Tip nailed that, too.

Archived