joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Whats your take on this upcoming pattern change Delta, that is if you care to share?

Sorry I've been such a lurker.... Just such a busy week with Christmas, traveling, guests, last minute shopping..haha.  Anyway, it's an incredible pattern.  That big storm lurking on the GFS at day 7ish looks interesting and one of the main contributors to those absurd outputs.   The lake effect parameters for the southeast shore look nearly as good as one could hope, moisture for days and extreme deltas, hopefully spilling back towards Monroe county if we can go a little Northerly or hook up with Gbay.  This forum has been great/active lately and there wasnt much more than I could add, (especially because I primarily hug the GFS which was being discounted, lol). Anyway we have a nice spread of knowledge and people that use different models so its been a great team effort tracking this significant arctic intrusion.  I'll be the first to admit that many of you are more familiar with the online products than I am these days. 

Anyway, the pattern screams action for at least 10 days.  Isolated places South and East of Ontario will be measuring in feet and I expect the Chautauqua ridge to score big as well.   Late in the week winds really die down while decent parameters remain so heavy isolated tea kettle snow seem plausible which then segues into hopefully the big synoptic event. 

Anyway, lets get back tonight through Christmas.  My backyard is right at 32 right now.  The critical thicknesses really jumped north the last two hours as can be corroborated with radar.  Looks like the ice threat is reduced, at least for places south of the escarpment.  Christmas is finally a lock in regards to being white and getting whiter with nearly every run.  It's a great week to be a weather enthusiast.  

4 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Hrrr never gets roc above 32. 

I must say that I'm quite intrigued now, I really hadnt been watching closely today but now I see that a lot of models have finally trended a lot colder.  teetering on a little ice event here. 

side note - Guests are settled for the next few days so I can start tracking things again.  

There is a chance we get hit on overnight Tuesday with a decent LES event here. Models have been trending that way before winds go WNW/NW. But once that happens off Erie dry air is abundant. There is a window on Tuesday for extreme LES off of Erie, where that hits will be the question, and it won't last long. Moisture will be much better off of Ontario, along with multi lake connection.

It's gonna be some week of weather tracking that's for sure!  No sleep for the foreseeable future, I can see it now, but I haven't seen actual snow fall on both Christmas eve and Christmas day since 2002, the year I moved here.  10" fell on that day, then it literally snowed for the whole month of January in the Cuse, except for 2 days that month.  I was in absolute awe, as I never seen those kinds of snowfall rates before, let alone that much snow, lol! 

12 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Things look good for the Thruway towns. Just a heads up, areas SE of Roc are still living on a prayer for a white Christmas. Areas from  Elmira and Ithaca towards Binghamton only showing a couple inches between now and the 25th. That's cutting it close! Good luck!

IMG_4114.PNG

The NAM and new GFS are a little further west and more closed off.  Only a few ticks away from a winter storm warning at this point

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

New gfs run really never develops a low pressure for next weekend Just A string out mess on the coast

I see that, but it also did something similar for the Christmas storm and now look where we are.  Lots of time for that one still, hopefully we don't lose it altogether.  

21 minutes ago, tim123 said:

New gfs run really never develops a low pressure for next weekend Just A string out mess on the coast

GooFuS playing it's  reindeer games...to be expected. Along with other models. It had this thing a few days back and of course it will hunt around for a solution, like other NWP.  Will be fun (?) to observe it's gyrations.

4 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Something is amiss on the GFS as its 2M temp forecast is already a huge bust, not that it matters much, but something is wrong as temps at 00Z Sunday are 31F then rise to 34 at 06Z Sunday which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Something is not right that's all I'm sayin.

All the CO2 coming out of Mario Cuomo's assmouth is messing with the model.

Archived