joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017-2018 Winter Observations

Carvers Gap

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid 50s today feels wintry all of a sudden after basking in early May weather for the last week.  I'll be surprised if we can get more than post-frontal snow showers the remainder of the season in non-elevated areas. Would love to see otherwise, but I'm mostly already looking forward to next fall from a weather point of view.

Really impressive convective? showers moved through Knoxville this afternoon about 430.  No thunder that I heard, but looked thunderstorm-like. Blue sky in the distance, heavy rain and black clouds rolling in. With the Bradford pears and some cherry trees shedding their blossoms in it, definitely looked like spring! 

Wonderful hike to White Rocks and Sand Cave in VA with a bit of everything. Still some wind from the gradient produced by the Nor'easter, cool enough at the top for some ice flowers and icicles and warm air at the bottom and atop the White Rock cliffs. Very clear with a visibility I estimate at 100 + miles. Some pictures. I could see Le Conte, Guyot, Clingman's, Buffalo Mountain above Johnson City, Short Mt. near Rogersville, and even Bays Mountain near Kingsport in the far northeast. The pics aren't high enough quality to see these mountains, but they were there! And a waterfall at Sand Cave. 

We also had a nice little snow shower here about 15min ago. Temp is 35 though so no accumulation. The band that slid through last night was indeed a little further S than I thought it would be. It actually produced a rain snow mix that was frozen on the glass picnic table this AM. Morning low hit 32.

Epic day atop Mt. Cammerer! 5 inches estimate at the deepest with a few drifts around 2 feet at around 5000 feet!  Wind gusting and making the trees grown under the hoarfrost and snow. I knew it was going to be good as I drove through Cosby and everything was already white.  Took 7 students up on a "practice" hike, some of whom hadn't hiked more than 3 miles on level ground.  Up and up, total of 11 miles.  Tears froze. Water froze in Camelbacks. One of the best hikes of my life! 

Pic one: from atop the Mt. Cammerer fire tower looking NE

Pic two: wave-like snow drift

Pic three: tree snow

Mt cammerer looking nE.jpg

snow drift 3-7 2.jpg

tree snow.jpg

Archived