joxey
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

A nice reference here for multiple day/ big storms  in RVA

Including the 2016 

11.4 inches 

About 6.1 inches day one

About 5.3 inches day 2

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://glenallenweather.com/upload/richmondclimate/richsnow/GreatestSnows.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiKlpSP2sHuAhWkFFkFHcBbBEwQFjADegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0auXBTqpNuLh8C3TmLc-aB

Fyi...

<You will need to download to see info >

• Like 1

I apologize for just joining in on the discussion. I'm not on here as often as years past. 

I would be concerned about a faster changeover from snow to IP/ZR than we would like. And then of course there is the dreaded dry slot while we look to the north at DCA, PHL, etc. getting creamed. We saw this January 23-24, 2016, February 5-6, 2010, December 18-19, 2009, February 12-13, 2006, February 14-18, 2003 and January 6-8, 1996. Sometimes we are lucky, as was the case in 2016, 2010 and 1996, where RIC ADDed to its totals on the back in, but often times RIC is too far south and precip doesn't build back our way as it's getting colder. 

That said, I am really hoping for a solid 4"+ on the front end before things begin to go downhill. I am not confident about what the coastal will bring once it gets going.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NovaTarHeel said:

It’s really close to being something huge. Depending on where the coastal forms and spins up, we could see a wild shift in snow totals. 

Glad I’m just an amateur weather lover and not a forecaster.  Think you’re either going to bust really high or really low here no matter what you forecast. 

No doubt.  I think they will all err on the low side, easier to explain that than calling for a foot and getting 2 inches.  If we have to work this hard for a shot at 4 to 5 inches, geez, just don't know how many storms we have left in this area.

1 minute ago, NovaTarHeel said:

It’s really close to being something huge. Depending on where the coastal forms and spins up, we could see a wild shift in snow totals. 

Glad I’m just an amateur weather lover and not a forecaster.  Think you’re either going to bust really high or really low here no matter what you forecast. 

If we can get the coastal closer to the coast and get it going a little sooner I think we’ll see more snow on the back end. Right now most of the models have it too far off the coast to really give us anything 

3 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

EURO is 6-8 for RVA. Would take that. Has a 5-10 event for many in the forum even in NOVA. Whatever snow we do get is going to come on the front end and let’s just hope to get lucky. When does the changeover to mix happen? That will determine how much snow we get 

Yup, I love the overrunning events! December 9, 2018, February 16-17, 2015, January 30-31, 2010, etc come to mind. Bona fide Miller A's, where the primary low forms in the gulf and move up the coast, are better. But seems like they don't happen anymore, lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, RIC Airport said:

Yup, I love the overrunning events! December 9, 2018, February 16-17, 2015, January 30-31, 2010, etc come to mind. Bona fide Miller A's, where the primary low forms in the gulf and move up the coast, are better. But seems like they don't happen anymore, lol. 

They seem like a rarity now 

• Like 1

Just now, RVASnowLover said:

They seem like a rarity now 

Yup, I guess we technically had one recently, February 12-13, 2014, where RIC recorded 5.8", but we flipped to IP/ZR pretty rapidly. I don't recall the details, but the pattern was NOT a favorable one. In fact, the NAO was raging positive among other things so it makes sense we flipped with such a storm track, probably was a bootleg airmass, too. Maybe March 1-2, 2009 was one? I honestly can't remember the last one where we scored 10"+.....maybe February 10-11, 1983?

• Like 1

Well we are officially under a Winter Storm Watch .. for 2-5 inches lol

Winter Storm Watch from SAT 10:00 PM EST until SUN 7:00 PM EST

Action Recommended

Make preparations per the instructions

Issued By

Wakefield - VA, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Portions of central, east central and north central Virginia

Description

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING... WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches possible. In addition, sleet and freezing rain may result in ice accumulations. WHERE...Portions of central, east central and north central Virginia. WHEN...From late Saturday evening through Sunday evening. IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. ADDITIONAL DETAILS...A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant snow...sleet...or ice accumulations that may impact travel. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.
Hourly Forecast