• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2019-2020 Winter Wonderland Discussion

JoMo

6z GFS has the low in perfect position to give Oklahoma a lot of wintery type precipitation Sunday Night early Monday, 12/15-  12/ 16,  but it shows no activity with it till it kicks out into NE Oklahoma. That Friday storm is still showing up but all rain now and a lot of it. 

OK, here are the latest 5 Euro runs. I analyzed the snowfall amounts in a 100 mile radius of Tulsa. Here are my results. Looking for trends here.

Number of members from each run are indicated below.

0 Inches. 18,8,6,3,2   Summary: looks more and more likely that a "no snow" option is out the door. 

Under 1 inch.  8,14,15,20,19  Summary: Better than nothing, but an underwhelming category. Goes up over recent runs, mainly converting "no snow" options to minimal snow(so still positive).

1-3 inches. 10,14,12,14,11  Summary: This is a broad category that I'll refine in future analysis, some of these are 1 inch across half the area, others are a solid 2 inches across everywhere. Regardless, this option remains pretty steady consisting of about 20%-25% of the members.

3+ inches,  14,14,17,13,18 Summary: Some of these are BOMBS, some are just a respectable swath of 3-4 inches, some give half the area a winter storm while leaving the other half out high and dry. Point is, this category has remained pretty steady throughout the last couple days. Last night's run brought it down to a low, but then the 6Z brought it up to a high(don't know if we can trust the 6z). If the 12Z this afternoon brings this category back to last night's, then we can throw out the 6Z.

So it looks like someone within 100 mile radius of Tulsa is pretty much guaranteed to get snow, could be a trace, could be a good dumping. Time to wait for the 12Z Euro.

1 minute ago, StormChazer said:

OK, here are the latest 5 Euro runs. I analyzed the snowfall amounts in a 100 mile radius of Tulsa. Here are my results. Looking for trends here.

Number of members from each run are indicated below.

0 Inches. 18,8,6,3,2   Summary: looks more and more likely that a "no snow" option is out the door. 

Under 1 inch.  8,14,15,20,19  Summary: Better than nothing, but an underwhelming category. Goes up over recent runs, mainly converting "no snow" options to minimal snow(so still positive).

1-3 inches. 10,14,12,14,11  Summary: This is a broad category that I'll refine in future analysis, some of these are 1 inch across half the area, others are a solid 2 inches across everywhere. Regardless, this option remains pretty steady consisting of about 20%-25% of the members.

3+ inches,  14,14,17,13,18 Summary: Some of these are BOMBS, some are just a respectable swath of 3-4 inches, some give half the area a winter storm while leaving the other half out high and dry. Point is, this category has remained pretty steady throughout the last couple days. Last night's run brought it down to a low, but then the 6Z brought it up to a high(don't know if we can trust the 6z). If the 12Z this afternoon brings this category back to last night's, then we can throw out the 6Z.

So it looks like someone within 100 mile radius of Tulsa is pretty much guaranteed to get snow, could be a trace, could be a good dumping. Time to wait for the 12Z Euro.

Is the 06z available any where publicly? 

Looks to me like the current “consensus” is for Southern MO to have the best chances as it stands.  Obviously a LONG way to go.  GFS tucking south is a good sign.  We’ll see what the Canadian and Euro has to stay.  

Bottom line is nothing is off the table yet.

Edit:  As you all just pointed out, nice trend on the Canadian but still what I call an I-44 special.   

13 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Looks to me like the current “consensus” is for Southern MO to have the best chances as it stands.  Obviously a LONG way to go.  GFS tucking south is a good sign.  We’ll see what the Canadian and Euro has to stay.  

Bottom line is nothing is off the table yet.  

Depends on how you define southern MO. I think somewhere between the I70 and I44 corridor is in the best place ATM. A long ways to go though 

I'll agree with MUWX's assessment that the bulls eye right now is between I-70 and I-44. Something to keep in mind here is that this isn't the typical winter system we have out here, where we have a huge low coming out and a large precip shield. Rather, this is a rather weak low and the event will be driven by warm air advection processes. The whole forecast is going to hinge on where the baroclinic zone sets up, as that will be the axis that sees the 2-8" snows.  

Overall, for it being >3 days out, the models have a good agreement on some type of winter storm out here this weekend. It will be nice to see some snow over a widespread area, since most of us have been dry for a while. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rockchalk83 said:

I'll agree with MUWX's assessment that the bulls eye right now is between I-70 and I-44. Something to keep in mind here is that this isn't the typical winter system we have out here, where we have a huge low coming out and a large precip shield. Rather, this is a rather weak low and the event will be driven by warm air advection processes. The whole forecast is going to hinge on where the baroclinic zone sets up, as that will be the axis that sees the 2-8" snows.  

Overall, for it being >3 days out, the models have a good agreement on some type of winter storm out here this weekend. It will be nice to see some snow over a widespread area, since most of us have been dry for a while. 

Indeed, also, we don't want this to be a strong system as that will simply give us all rain. Instead, this wave needs to be pretty flat/weak. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Depends on how you define southern MO. I think somewhere between the I70 and I44 corridor is in the best place ATM. A long ways to go though 

Agreed.  I was being a bit generic.  I-44 and north seems to be the best bet right now.  Maybe some counties in NE OK could squeak about warning criteria so we can get that monkey off our backs.