Newest Member
    joxey
2016/17 Drought & Fire Concerns

NWNC2015

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asheville area:

... Air quality alert in effect until midnight EDT Thursday night...

The North Carolina department of environmental quality in Raleigh NC has issued a code Orange air quality action day for fine particulates... in effect until midnight EDT Thursday night. An air quality action day means that ground level ozone concentrations within the region may approach or exceed unhealthy standards. For additional information... please visit the North Carolina division of air quality web site at www.Ncair.Org/airaware/forecast/.

3 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

Thursday Drought Monitor Map is out. 

D0 expanded all the way to Winston Salem, NC.

Severe and extreme drought rapidly expanding into NC and SC too, with exceptional not far behind. If the CPC is right, this is just the start of what will become a MAJOR story before it is over. 

1 hour ago, LithiaWx said:

Shelty was right!  Give the man a gold star.  Record heat and now drought continues this weekend down into GA.

Actually I'm off some since I was looking for 90's instead of 80's, but the general idea has been right. I'm seeing predictions of a major change in both rainfall and temps in about 2 weeks, but we'll just have to see how that goes.

27 minutes ago, jshetley said:

Actually I'm off some since I was looking for 90's instead of 80's, but the general idea has been right. I'm seeing predictions of a major change in both rainfall and temps in about 2 weeks, but we'll just have to see how that goes.

You made a good call regardless since records will be broken. I'm hoping next month will start to produce more rain chances since it won't be long before the extreme drought turns into exceptional for my area and areas further east.

9 minutes ago, GaStorm said:

You made a good call regardless since records will be broken. I'm hoping next month will start to produce more rain chances since it won't be long before the extreme drought turns into exceptional for my area and areas further east.

Yeah looking at the calendar it's shocking.  Mid 80s in early November.  Unreal.

Just now, GaStorm said:

It is but if next month can start a turnaround on this crappy pattern that will be perfect timing for winter.

Agreed sir.  We certinaly could be on a path for a huge winter hammer to drop in mid December.  Give me a 4 week period from 12/15 - 1/15 and I'd call that a big win. 

26 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Agreed sir.  We certinaly could be on a path for a huge winter hammer to drop in mid December.  Give me a 4 week period from 12/15 - 1/15 and I'd call that a big win. 

It wouldn't take much to be a big win compared to last year! Lol.

16 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

How many acres. Wtvd had their helicopter flying around it. There was even a school bus stuck in the ditch nearby at one point.

16 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

How many acres. Wtvd had their helicopter flying around it. There was even a school bus stuck in the ditch nearby at one point.

It was about 20 acres

Red flag warning up for north GA.

... RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 7 PM EDT FRIDAY FOR GUSTY NORTH WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY FOR MUCH OF NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A RED FLAG WARNING FOR AREAS MAINLY ALONG AND NORTH OF A COLUMBUS TO MACON TO WASHINGTON LINE... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 7 PM EDT FRIDAY. * WINDS... 15 TO 20 MPH GUSTING 25 TO 30 MPH... WITH GREATER WIND SPEEDS LIKELY IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA. * TIMING... 10 AM TO 7 PM FRIDAY. * RELATIVE HUMIDITY... 25 TO 35 PERCENT. * IMPACTS... ANY ONGOING WILDFIRES OR ADDITIONAL FIRES THAT MIGHT DEVELOP WILL LIKELY SPREAD RAPIDLY. OUTDOOR BURNING OF ANY KIND IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED AND ALREADY BANNED IN MOST LOCATIONS. * ADDITIONAL INFORMATION... FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS ALSO EXISTS FOR AREAS SOUTH OF THE RED FLAG WARNING AREA AND OUTDOOR BURNING IS NOT RECOMMENDED THERE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... THIS WARNING INCLUDES THE CHATTAHOOCHEE AND OCONEE NATIONAL FORESTS. A RED FLAG WARNING MEANS THAT CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR WITHIN 24 HOURS. PLEASE REFER TO THE LOCAL BURN PERMITTING AUTHORITIES ON WHETHER YOU MAY BURN OUTDOORS. IF YOU DO BURN OUTSIDE... USE EXTREME CAUTION. PLEASE ADVISE THE APPROPRIATE OFFICIALS OR FIRE CREWS IN THE FIELD OF THE RED FLAG WARNING FOR FRIDAY. &&

• Issuing Office: Atlanta

Source: National.Weather.Service

2:47pm EDT, Thu Nov 3

I was curious about the lessons learned and policy changes that may have occurred following the SE Drought from 2007 (centered over N Georgia)...and saw this article - http://www.circleofblue.org/2012/world/lessons-learned-how-drought-has-shaped-water-policy-in-georgia/

Anyone in the N Georgia area know of policy / reservoir / water use changes that came out of the 2007 drought?

Interesting article here - http://environmentalresearchweb.org/cws/article/news/48946

"Now a study of tree-rings in the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint river basin indicates that the current south-eastern drought is not as bad as many in the past 346 years. Droughts of extended duration occurred more often from 1696–1820, the trees revealed. What's more, today's water plans are based on data for the unusually wet period in the mid-20th century."

Archived