Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

And BOOM we're back in the snow potential business 

EURO very dry, which makes sense after the deluge we just witnessed. May take until mid Feb before we are looking at another "moisturized" system...to deliver something widespread from "west to east" and not just from the "top-down".

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Timothy Clyde said:

EURO very dry, which makes sense after the deluge we just witnessed. May take until mid Feb before we are looking at another "moisturized" system...to deliver something widespread from "west to east" and not just from the "top-down".

Euro has the storm really far south that the GFS shows. Sharpen the trough and we're in business. It's really not too big of a stretch.

21 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Euro has the storm really far south that the GFS shows. Sharpen the trough and we're in business. It's really not too big of a stretch.

I honestly see very little potential through February 8th for the lower elevations foothills and Piedmont. MTNS may see some up-slope clipper potential but other than that looks like the pattern would favor rain chasing cold for now. Keep the storm south and it will stay dry/cold...bring it north and it looks like a wash (rain) for many.

We have a solid 2-3 weeks to kill if we want to see any potential for Charlotte or Raleigh metros.

23 minutes ago, Timothy Clyde said:

I honestly see very little potential through February 8th for the lower elevations foothills and Piedmont. MTNS may see some up-slope clipper potential but other than that looks like the pattern would favor rain chasing cold for now. Keep the storm south and it will stay dry/cold...bring it north and it looks like a wash (rain) for many.

We have a solid 2-3 weeks to kill if we want to see any potential for Charlotte or Raleigh metros.

Well this is the mountains thread...

10 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

C'mon now I'm actually being positive about the weather for a change, you should follow my lead at least once ;) lol welcome back! How was vaca?

Wonderful. St Barthelemy is a beautiful island. Highly recommend. Only bad thing was it got chilly one night. I think we had a low of 73. Brrrr! I stayed in the hot tub an extra 15 minutes that night. It was horrible.

But it looks like the models knew I came back. "I will make the weather great again !!!"

20 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Well we got some great rain the past few days. The river is running the highest iv seen it in over a year.

I noticed that too Met when I was driving by the Toe here in Yancey. Noticed a lot of run off around my house as well. Shows me the ground is finally being saturated again. Just need some cold air. Give me one good clipper and a decent snow flow event before the end of winter and I'll take it I guess. What can you do.

8 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

I noticed that too Met when I was driving by the Toe here in Yancey. Noticed a lot of run off around my house as well. Shows me the ground is finally being saturated again. Just need some cold air. Give me one good clipper and a decent snow flow event before the end of winter and I'll take it I guess. What can you do.

Yeah I agree Joe. This rainfall was great for a lot of places. Saturated ground, higher river, more water in streams and reservoirs. It's very good.  Yeah I think we may get some good flow snow but I'm not so sure a long pattern change. We will see. I'm just sitting back watching right now.

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

To me this is only a break in our current pattern regime. We get a break then we go back to a crappy look. I'm not impressed all that much.

Yea, the overall pattern doesn't look good short term, kinda like we have been seeing for much of the winter. but at least snow comes with it, and we need it. If we get even some of threat blocking the EURO has been showing mid February, I think we'll be golden. Even if that means we only get one week of cold, I'll run with the odds.

8 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Yea, the overall pattern doesn't look good short term, kinda like we have been seeing for much of the winter. but at least snow comes with it, and we need it. If we get even some of threat blocking the EURO has been showing mid February, I think we'll be golden. Even if that means we only get one week of cold, I'll run with the odds.

Yeah one week of a decant pattern this season would be like winning the lottery. We will see what happens. I'm not holding my breath.

3 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

0z and 6z snow a]totals through 240 have crept back up and look better than yesterdays afternoon runs. also our buddy around the 6th of February keeps showing up, entering a good month I think.

Been noticing a gradual uptick in EPS members with some kind of storm around that time. Could be the next big boy to watch.

Archived