Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SnoJoe said:

Does the current radar look like it has been model at this time. Thought we'd see more precip breaking out to the north by now. This isn't a convection rob job down south setting up is it?

I'm not sure. I just posted that it's raising an alarm for me. Maybe it fills back in. It looks like that piece of energy out west is catching up to the main feed of moisture. I don't think this is convection that's robbing the moisture. But it looks to be moving further east than north.

5 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I'm not sure. I just posted that it's raising an alarm for me. Maybe it fills back in. It looks like that piece of energy out west is catching up to the main feed of moisture. I don't think this is convection that's robbing the moisture. But it looks to be moving further east than north.

Yeah man this thing is really going to ramp up in the next few hours and the precip will fill in.  Check out the firehose setting up over NE GA over the past 6 or so frames of the Huntville Radar.  Not worried here, moisture looks pretty solid.

1 minute ago, Hvward said:

Yeah man this thing is really going to ramp up in the next few hours and the precip will fill in.  Check out the firehose setting up over NE GA over the past 6 or so frames of the Hunterville Radar.  Not worried here, moisture looks pretty solid.

Yeah I just went back and looked at the GFS and it had the same thing. The moisture actually looks deeper than modeled and more expansive that I can see. 

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I just went back and looked at the GFS and it had the same thing. The moisture actually looks deeper than modeled and more expansive that I can see. 

Yeah I have been watching the blob on the MS/AL line blow up over the past hour, if the 5h goes a bit more neg tilt that will head right for us.   That happens it will be cash money snowflakes y'all.

Hey folks just want to let you know..I just read a report on winter weather.they expect us to get snow squalls tonight that will cause winds to pick up.and can gust up to 20mph in areas including foothills.dropping temperatures down to teens with wind chill factors.on down to single digits then.possibly have temperatures that could drop 10-15 degrees below zero in some of the areas by tomorrow morning...they did say snow would be heavier in our areas and mountains of WNC.through tomorrow afternoon. Thought you might like to know about that..

I'm not worried one bit.  As I alluded to earlier, models are still playing catch up to this wave and it's deepening structure.  Precipitation development will be explosive late this evening and overnight.  All recent models continue the upward tick in QPF in response to the trough.  Will it go negative tilt?  I don't think so...but dynamics are much more impressive than we originally thought.  

Moderate storm strength or not, the moisture will find a way if the dynamics are there!

7 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

I'm not worried one bit.  As I alluded to earlier, models are still playing catch up to this wave and it's deepening structure.  Precipitation development will be explosive late this evening and overnight.  All recent models continue the upward tick in QPF in response to the trough.  Will it go negative tilt?  I don't think so...but dynamics are much more impressive than we originally thought.  

Moderate storm strength or not, the moisture will find a way if the dynamics are there!

Good stuff. The excitement is just probably getting to me.

12 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Good stuff. You and HvWard have a good handle on this.  I was impressed the way it started snowing today. Usually, I am watching hours of virga it seems like. Not today.

Thanks HT! Just waiting and watching. Beers are cold are ready to roll :)

Joe, I Got two double IPA's, 2 sours and a 22oz of barley wine my friend made!
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived