• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Matthew Aftermath and record inland flooding

downeastnc

This is a picture of a "makeshift raft" found this morning on Oak Island, NC it has material in it that suggest it was  built in Cuba and carried to NC in Matthew....pretty crazy. 

"Earlier last week off the coast of Florida, the Coast Guard rescued several Cuban refugees from the fury of Hurricane Matthew. This appears to be a handmade Cuban refugee boat, made with a bed frame, logs, and plastic bottles stuffed inside plastic bags which are marked “Cuba”." 

cuba raft.jpg

15 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Tar River at Rocky Mount NC97 is supposed to crest at 2am around 28.6', however it may have just done so at 28.58', still need another reading or two but flow did back off slightly at 0z.

Here is the gauges up river from  NC97 , the one at Louisburg still creeping up the one US301 is holding steady,  it fluctuates there since its just downstream from the dam....if that one jumps up there is a problem...river in Greenville lagging the forecast by 2 ft, either its gonna "only" get to 24 ft or its going to take a day longer to crest than thought.....Goldsboro lagging on forecast there as well but upstream still rising cant be a good sign....

rmbn7_hg.png

loun7_hg.png

I feel for u guys... so many gauges on NC, SC are in record crest..  and I can't even remember ever having portions of I-95 having to be closed for so many days.

and how major media  (CNN / FOxNews / MSNBC) is completely ignoring the situation...just like they did with Louisiana.

this is complete devastation for NC, and it's being completely ignored by the media.  unbelievable.  At-least TWC's representin for u guys.

Was not here for Floyd but I have never seen the river this high.  Took a drive up to NC 222, bridge was still open but water was up to the underhang.  Dozens of homes with water in them on Old River Road, that area is under a mandatory evacuation, taken back by how much is those with less means, it's really sad. 

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FLASH FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
809 PM EDT MON OCT 10 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
  A DAM FAILURE IN...
  EAST CENTRAL MOORE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
  NORTH CENTRAL HOKE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
  NORTHWESTERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 200 AM EDT

* AT 800 PM EDT...COUNTY OFFICIALS IN MOORE COUNTY REPORT THAT THE
  WOODLAKE DAM ON LAKE SURF JUST SOUTHEAST OF VASS IS IN RISK OF
  IMMINENT FAILURE. A FAILURE WOULD RESULT IN FLASH FLOODING
  DOWNSTREAM ON CRANE CREEK WITH FLOOD WATERS EVENTUALLY REACHING THE
  LITTLE RIVER. AUTHORITIES ARE BEGINNING EVACUATIONS. MOVE TO
  HIGHER GROUND NOW.

LOCATION PARTICUALRLY AT RISK INCLUDE AREAS NEAR ROUTE 690 OR
LOBELIA ROAD...CABINS CREEK ROAD AND MCPHERSON ROAD.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS AT NIGHT WHEN IT IS HARDER TO RECOGNIZE THE
DANGERS OF FLOODING.

5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Woodlake Dam is still holding but I guess they have seen enough evidence of a failure about to happen that they are evacuations....its a decent size lake 2 miles long and averaging 3/4 mile wide.....if it does go its going to be very bad....

I was trying to find the dam, but no luck.

possible it's on the north end?

x09Wmz.jpg

10 hours ago, Bacon Strips said:

I was trying to find the dam, but no luck.

possible it's on the north end?

x09Wmz.jpg

the entire southern end is a dam.....the dam has a leak and they are trying to fill it with sandbags, so far it has not failed....

http://abc11.com/weather/evacuations-ordered-with-threat-of-woodlake-dam-failure/1535987/

The Neuse River in Kinston is now expected to surpass the record that Floyd set. It is expected to hit 28ft. on Saturday afternoon. Right now highway 70 is open thru Kinston but is expected to close by Friday. Businesses that flooded during Floyd are now preparing for worse. Very bad situation there.

Archived