Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE fall general OBS and Discussion thread

The Iceman

9 hours ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Of course I have pointed out before how lucky (for those that like snow) this area has been. Imagine if you grew up in Philly in the 70's (like me)and did not see one storm with over 10" from the time you were too young to remember (Christmas Eve 1966 - 12" snow at PHL) till January 20, 1978. So growing up in Philly I saw my first storm over 10" at 15 yrs old. In fact until that age I only witnessed one storm over 6" - that was on my 10th birthday 12/17/73. Today's younger generation thinks large snow storms happen every year. Imagine if we had the internet back in the day....how much cheese would be needed for all the whining?

Amen!  I was 16 for that '78 storm and it was the first that had enough that fell with the right consistency to make a great snowman! :snowman: There were only a couple times before when there was enough that packed down to sled on (we would sled down a cross-street a couple houses away from where we lived that ran up a hill, was 1-way, and had a dead-end at the top of it).

Current temp 324F and falling.  Mt. Holly snow map for the heck of it -

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hot damn.  Got hit by that streamer with a dusting.  Nothing on the streets or sidewalks or grass but there is about 0.1" of some powdery stuff on the car windshield and on odds and ends cold/metal surfaces.

Currently 26.4F with bonafide hard freeze here since about 5 am.  I think this will take out some salvia that I have that was still trying to hang on.

1/4"-1/2" powder this morning out in Blue Bell, Montco. 

Euro stringing us along again with mid-week system. Essentially all by itself, everything else is suppressed. What did they do to our once deadly-accurate mid-range/long-range Euro? These Lucy and Charlie Brown football pulling scenarios are worse than when it was Doctor No. 

Long range ensembles, while not bleak or dire, don't look nearly as promising as they did several days ago. SE Ridge is evident. Ridge near Alaska holding strong.....this is our player (WPO/EPO) for getting cold air here because the Atlantic is just meh. Although the SE Ridge appears as a smoothed over flat ridge on the ensembles, it will still setup a boundary in the East between cold/snowy to the North and mild (relative)/rainy to the South of the gradient. Though I suppose gradient patterns are somewhat normal this time of the year with the PV entering North Hudson Bay and the SE Ridge holding it's ground. Battleground, wherever that ends up, could cash in via SWFE's. Let's hope the PV can press South a bit in the future. The North Atlantic is showing little to no blocking in the LR tho, so the likelihood of the PV paying a direct visit South after the snap later this week is not looking all that great thru Christmas at the least.

Picked up a dusting overnight from that streamer!

As for Ralph's comments above about our chance in the medium and long range, well, I've given up any hope of ever seeing a sustained -NAO in the winter months. It seems our snow chances are all Pac driven these days, so our fate rests with that.

Archived