joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE fall general OBS and Discussion thread

The Iceman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dry driveway this morning and deck with a little wet deck table and grass quite surprised to see .20" in the gauge fell overnight. 

Somewhere around .25" for August now. Way things are going I expect an absolutely torrential 20 minute downpour at some point over the next three days to get near normal for the month to date.

1 hour ago, MGorse said:

It is downright awful outside!

It's so hot the squirrels are laying down on the bricks on the porch. New seasonal high here this afternoon, 95F. Currently 92F. Had a couple of near misses with some showers. Total rainfall for August to date is 0.05". 

Normally on a Friday I'd be looking forward to doing stuff outside here over the weekend, but today I'm not getting a lot of inspiration.

20 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

It's so hot the squirrels are laying down on the bricks on the porch. New seasonal high here this afternoon, 95F. Currently 92F. Had a couple of near misses with some showers. Total rainfall for August to date is 0.05". 

Normally on a Friday I'd be looking forward to doing stuff outside here over the weekend, but today I'm not getting a lot of inspiration.

I've seen them do that too on my brick patio -- lay flat on their stomach with all four legs stretched out ... too funny! Anyway, storm passing just to my south, can hear thunder, but just cloudy here.

I don't get where this central America like humidity is coming from it's a west to east flow not even pineapple express route. Throw in the inability for any kind of widespread shower activity to develop like had been expected it feels like another world. Poor squirrels don't know what the hell happened.

Was out at 4:30 this morning to see if there was any clearing for the Perseids and saw nothing but big fluffy cumulus blocking the sky with some open patches.  The air was so thick that the slugs were out and about this morning.  Saw a huge leopard slug crawling easily across the patio. lol

Had 3 brief but heavy rounds of rain this afternoon, the 2nd & 3rd with thunder.  Ended up with just under 0.2" total so far.   Tied my yearly record of 95F but that 3rd round of rain really knocked the temp down. It did make it even more sauna-like out there.  Currently 78F with a 77DP and overcast.

1 hour ago, BBasile said:

The AFD summed up my thoughts nicely when I walked outside this morning.  

Currently 81.5F / DP 78F / RH 89% / HI 90F

Total rainfall for the month so far is at 0.07". 

_20160813_075353.JPG

Ain't that the truth!  I ran some errands early this morning and it is thick as mud out there.  I remember going to a conference in Galveston, TX in July about 20 years ago, where the forecast every day was mostly sunny (or partly sunny), high 96F (or 95F) every day we were there, with DPs in the 70s. The city is mostly on a little island right off the E. Texas coast in the Gulf of Mexico.  The gulf water temps were in the low-mid 80s at the time.  And as a side note, I did hear that there were some ocean temps records broken (80s?) at the Jersey shore this week.

Am hoping we can get through this week without any storms knocking out power.  Am coming up on 87F already with a 72 DP.

12 hours ago, RedSky said:

89.8F high two days in a row

Sounds refreshing, sort of! This morning is the second day in a row where the temp at midnight here was 80F and the low 77F before sunrise. Yesterday made it to 95F, thinking between 95 - 97 today, might as well go for 97.

I find this weather easier to deal with when you can see some relief coming, but so far the relief is a little too out of reach to start getting excited about. Some slight cooling early in the week which will help, but it looks like it might be the end of next week before something like 80's for highs and 60's for lows happens here.

Saw a couple of meteors around 4:30 this am, between some broken overcast.

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

And as a side note, I did hear that there were some ocean temps records broken (80s?) at the Jersey shore this week.

Yeah, I heard something like 82 or 83 I think.  

The humidity this summer has just been insane with every heat wave accompanied by dew points in the upper 70's.  Wild...and awful.  

Current conditions....113F!

_20160813_120031.JPG

Archived