joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Below Zero Day In NYC Since 1994

bluewave

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't use a Wunderground station for verification unless it was a known good setup. I say this as this past summer there were 2 stations within 3 miles of me that would constantly report temps 5-7 degrees higher than mine. When I found both these stations one was situated about 3' from an AC unit that blew hot air at it constantly. The other was situated on the edge of a blacktop driveway in the guys backyard. The heat from the blacktop skewed every temp reading. SMH. The other funny thing about these stations were the anemometers. The first was mounted to the trunk of a tree in the guys backyard, the second? Yep, right next to the driveway, about 8' off the ground lol.

Usually it's a red flag if 2 other stations compared to yours and others are higher loL. Of course the geography of the land comes into play sometimes.

Its 17 now and I am joking.

My weather station is properly sighted 6 feet off the.ground over grass (snow now) in the far.corner of my yard away from any structures.

Im in commack...not exactly a heat island. Radiate very well here.

There's no radiational cooling involved at all with this airmass. All CAA. And that's the only reason NYC even has a shot at zero. Current temps are meaningless IMO and will respond quickly.

There's no radiational cooling involved at all with this airmass. All CAA. And that's the only reason NYC even has a shot at zero. Current temps are meaningless IMO and will respond quickly.

Dude give me more credit than that I know this. I was referring to his comment regarding warmth from surrounding buildings in the vicinity of my pws.

Anyone with an ounce of weather knowledge knows this is CAA. This is weather 101.

The whole kings park north port area is solid. Elevation far enough north and far enough east to get into the big coastals but not to Far East to get mixing issues.

Yup..im a bit south of those areas and my elevation is less, around 150 here. But there havent been any marginal events this season which have given those areas more snow.

What do you think is the go-no go break point for the park to get below 0? Like when would we have to dip below 10? 7pm?

I think it's more important to have -30C 850s verify in the overnight hours. How fast temps drop are a function of how strong and intense the CAA is.

It could still be in the mid 30s right now (if say, the 850s were only -10C or so) but if we reached -30 to -33C at night we would still get to zero.

Dude give me more credit than that I know this. I was referring to his comment regarding warmth from surrounding buildings in the vicinity of my pws.

Anyone with an ounce of weather knowledge knows this is CAA. This is weather 101.

Gotcha :)

I think it's more important to have -30C 850s verify in the overnight hours. How fast temps drop are a function of how strong and intense the CAA is.

It could still be in the mid 30s right now (if say, the 850s were only -10C or so) but if we reached -30 to -33C at night we would still get to zero.

True, the coldest 850s are supposed to move over us around midnight correct?

Archived