SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nov. 16th-17th Severe Event

Quincy

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low-level clouds burning off in the E TX Panhandle and many places in the area are already into the low to mid-70s. 18z HRRR shows what looks to be discrete/semi-discrete storms in the C Panhandle region this evening. Wish this wasn't on the edge of the domain for this image, but it still gets the point across. HRRR KCDS sounding also looks great around this time.

nHsl3VZ.png

Short range guidence does generally seem to be getting more aggressive with the discrete cells around sunset and a little while thereafter. Quite a few distinct updraft helicity swaths can be seen on the last few HRRR runs, and with good clearing/surface heating in the panhandle currently, we could be setting up to possibly verify these supercells.

I am not out today. Considering the distance for me to travel, early sundown, and stuff I have lined up school-wise, I couldn't justify it this time around. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll be able to sneak in a local chase tomorrow morning, but I'll certainly be watching things unfold this evening and tonight.

19z HRRR has some pretty impressive 2-5lm UH tracks and continues to highlight the eastern panhandle of Texas/ southern Kansas as the area with an enhanced discrete cell threat (and obviously a tornado threat with any semi-discrete cells). Upper level energy looks to be arriving from NM into the western Panhandle now which has ignited a few severe cells already. 

56f84f5882fc6921b5ab48decb155fb1.png

323880e22df68441a4f9b77f122e4748.png

I really don't understand AMA basically saying all QLCS and no supercells in their latest AFD when there are a number of factors pointing to a decent window for discrete/semi discrete activity, supported by high res guidance.

They've been saying that for several days  now, and have also pointed to a pretty minimal TOR threat in several of their recent AFD's. Kind of a headscratcher given SPC forecast, as well as what other local WFO's are saying, also given that their CWA is in the area where initiation is progged to take place.

They've been saying that for several days  now, and have also pointed to a pretty minimal TOR threat in several of their recent AFD's. Kind of a headscratcher given SPC forecast, as well as what other local WFO's are saying, also given that their CWA is in the area where initiation is progged to take place.

Actually a couple of days ago they were hitting the setup harder when it looked a bit less impressive. This is more likely to be a difference in approach between particular forecasters than anything else.

FWIW 18Z 4K NAM didn't have supercells as far east as they are in SW KS until 00Z, 12NAM and 18Z HRRR shared similarities. Regardless all those models light up the dryline later on with numerous discrete dryline supercells.

Actually a couple of days ago they were hitting the setup harder when it looked a bit less impressive. This is more likely to be a difference in approach between particular forecasters than anything else.

Sorry missed that, I really only looked yesterday and just assumed it was a continuation. 

This actually looks like a decent tornado threat to me especially the farther east you go towards and into OK where dewpoint depressions and LCL heights are more favorable. It looks like the wind fields are strong enough in that sounding posted above to support at least some discrete activity I would think. 

Archived