Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this bumps south...

But man, some of you really need to calm down. I like to rant from time to time, but when every other post is a complaint, or a post about a storm ten days away we might need to take a step back.

Ehh, I don't think it's too bad in here. Most of us are pretty grounded in this sub forum. We all get frustrated which leads to the rants but that goes on in almost every forum. It's certainly way better than it was the past few years.

I have been out all day and just checking in now. 34 degrees at my house. I am showing my age but I remember a storm back in the late 70's in December that was supposed to be mostly all rain. When the precip started after dinner it went to silver dollar flakes and we picked up a quick 1-3 of heavy snow before it turned over to rain around 10:00 pm or so. Then we got some nice back end snow the next morning. It is such a fine line that I am sure someone in nearby Beaver or Butler or even Allegheny County may get some heavy snow where areas just east get rain. I do think more of it depends on storm track and some of us may get lucky. Fingers are crossed. I am hoping for a surprise tonight or tomorrow am but unfortunately the odds are a cold rain with some wet snowflakes mixed in. It happened 40 years ago. It can happen again. lol :lmao:

I have been out all day and just checking in now. 34 degrees at my house. I am showing my age but I remember a storm back in the late 70's in December that was supposed to be mostly all rain. When the precip started after dinner it went to silver dollar flakes and we picked up a quick 1-3 of heavy snow before it turned over to rain around 10:00 pm or so. Then we got some nice back end snow the next morning. It is such a fine line that I am sure someone in nearby Beaver or Butler or even Allegheny County may get some heavy snow where areas just east get rain. I do think more of it depends on storm track and some of us may get lucky. Fingers are crossed. I am hoping for a surprise tonight or tomorrow am but unfortunately the odds are a cold rain with some wet snowflakes mixed in. It happened 40 years ago. It can happen again. lol :lmao:

I remember that storm if it was the same one.  I was in Ingram and there was lightening and thunder with it.

Still getting sleet, occasionally a mangled flake and some plain rain now mixing in too from what I can tell. Thinking the change over to plain rain is not far off at this point. There is a light E wind that is probably contributing to some down sloping which might prolong the frozen a bit but ultimately its a losing battle.

One thing we have to take into account is all of the recent frigid temps we've had. Even if the air temps are 34 or 35 now, the rain can still freeze at the surface for a while. Be careful out there.

Roads around my house are definitely slick. I was sliding a little coming home from work.

Still getting sleet, occasionally a mangled flake and some plain rain now mixing in too from what I can tell. Thinking the change over to plain rain is not far off at this point. There is a light E wind that is probably contributing to some down sloping which might prolong the frozen a bit but ultimately its a losing battle.

It almost always is a losing battle. You can see on the radar, the yellows, which are probably sleet, are being pushed north. 

I have seen this play out far too many times and 9/10 warm wins. Warm always wins in our area. Perfect track with no cold. Oh well maybe if it changes over we can get a few inches.

Archived