joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a feeling this weekend is gonna be a mixed bag for us in the lower elevations of the mountains but up near Boone/Banner Elk we should see quite a storm! Still time for it to trend South but it is nice to finally have something real to track just a few days out.

I hate stupid CAD storms. They are extremely difficult to predict for this area and one valley always seems to get snow when another that is 5 miles west stays all rain. Talk about disappointment. I have an erie feeling that is what is going to happen here. Sure 2m and 850mb temps look good now but we have been here before guys and have seen this story unfold. We look good all over WNC for a few backside inches, but I am afraid we are going to miss a big dog by 1-2 degrees. I think Boone cashes in but Asheville will be stuck in a cold rain to sleet type mix. I hate it and I hate to say all this but I blew a forecast 2 years ago badly in a setup like this. I am really hoping for a surprise but I am having a hard time getting too excited because CAD always leaves us on the outside looking in here in WNC.

Have a feeling this weekend is gonna be a mixed bag for us in the lower elevations of the mountains but up near Boone/Banner Elk we should see quite a storm! Still time for it to trend South but it is nice to finally have something real to track just a few days out.

Knock on wood, but I've seen us get snow while Asheville got rain with these CAD type events. I'm wishcasting here but I think it's possible. It happened in 2014 got 4in when it was all rain past ridgecrest west.

I hate stupid CAD storms. They are extremely difficult to predict for this area and one valley always seems to get snow when another that is 5 miles west stays all rain. Talk about disappointment. I have an erie feeling that is what is going to happen here. Sure 2m and 850mb temps look good now but we have been here before guys and have seen this story unfold. We look good all over WNC for a few backside inches, but I am afraid we are going to miss a big dog by 1-2 degrees. I think Boone cashes in but Asheville will be stuck in a cold rain to sleet type mix. I hate it and I hate to say all this but I blew a forecast 2 years ago badly in a setup like this. I am really hoping for a surprise but I am having a hard time getting too excited because CAD always leaves us on the outside looking in here in WNC.

Yeah this seems about right. Will be great for the northern mountains as it looks currently but a screw job down here.

Knock on wood, but I've seen us get snow while Asheville got rain with these CAD type events. I'm wishcasting here but I think it's possible. It happened in 2014 got 4in when it was all rain past ridgecrest west.

Yep that could happen. I would say all is on the table at the moment. Just depends on how strong the high is to the north.

So... you feeling better after that Euro run? :)

I think we're still gonna have to rely on it but it looks good anyway now.

Well with the low running to our south instead of over top of us, there isn't as much of a warm nose so CAD wouldn't be what is sustaining the cold column of air. We wouldn't have a big battle between warm air advection and cold air advection. Without the upper levels being warm, CAD only helps up out because it isn't fighting against warm 850mb temps. Hope that makes since.

Well with the low running to our south instead of over top of us, there isn't as much of a warm nose so CAD wouldn't be what is sustaining the cold column of air. We wouldn't have a big battle between warm air advection and cold air advection. Without the upper levels being warm, CAD only helps up out because it isn't fighting against warm 850mb temps. Hope that makes since.

I completely understand what your saying. I just don't think the track is gonna be that perfect. I still believe the storm is gonna push farther north than the really southern track.

Yep if we just get cold all of WNC will score but hang on this is Monday. Still a long ways to go.

Yep and only 1 euro run so it is nothing to bet the farm on, but I would rather bet on the euro then anything else. Despite the fact that it moved this weekends low 500 miles within 3 days. Always something to keep in mind haha.

Yeah I agree with ya met I think we'll be luck to see a little mix to start then rain. Oh well probably go down as the worst winter on record. My family's from hot springs, Madison county. My grandmother and I were talking about how when she was little the ground would turn white in the middle of November and stay white til March, good ole days. I truly believe in global warming.

Yeah I agree with ya met I think we'll be luck to see a little mix to start then rain. Oh well probably go down as the worst winter on record. My family's from hot springs, Madison county. My grandmother and I were talking about how when she was little the ground would turn white in the middle of November and stay white til March, good ole days. I truly believe in global warming.

You killed my vibe lol.

Lol not what I was getting at. I was talking about the 18z and the euro. It's one run with many to come. Both models where awful last week with yesterday's storm. This pattern is so wild with so much energy it is hard for them to grab hold of just one solution. Don't get sucked into one run just yet. Yes the gfs has been consistent and that says a lot but the Euro is the euro So it needs to be paid attention to also. All options still on the table. As for me I'm looking forward to a couple of inches come Wednesday and Wednesday night.

Archived