joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 1st-7th Severe Weather Threat

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, cap isn't an issue in SD. It is in Minnesota though.

0jHvCA4.gif

dgsiwaz.gif

SD even had some help with a weak shortwave and convection couldn't maintain itself. I actually wouldn't be surprised if much of S MN sees nothing this evening. The LLJ focuses farther east so maybe far SE MN into W WI can get development later

Watch canceled... only 1 storm popped in the watch area. RIP

Curious what they'll do with the day 1 outlook

This might be a sign to watch out for bust potential tomorrow. Today initially looked alright and had a large slight risk and hatched 15% hail risk but ended up busting.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

This might be a sign to watch out for bust potential tomorrow. Today initially looked alright and had a large slight risk and hatched 15% hail risk but ended up busting.

Sent from my GT-N8010

One thing I think that we can infer from today is that the warm layer/cap is warmer than the models thought... that's why no storms popped. Knowing the warm layer usually gets cooler as it spreads east, I don't think it will create an unforeseen problem. 

Much stronger shortwave dropping into the Great Lakes tomorrow. Forcing won't be an issue and neither should instability.

I think SPC will pull the trigger on an Enhanced upgrade in the new DAY 1 outlook. A lot of their uncertainties have been figured out because of the fail today (esp. uncertainty about instability).

Just gonna have to see how tonight's stuff evolves.  New storms finally blowing up over western WI and southern MN.  More importantly there's quite a bit of convection up near the US/Canadian border.  If that continues to organize it will sink southeast towards the risk area by tomorrow morning flooding it with cloud debris, and of course leftover convection.

I think SPC will pull the trigger on an Enhanced upgrade in the new DAY 1 outlook. A lot of their uncertainties have been figured out because of the fail today (esp. uncertainty about instability).

I agree on the enhanced tomorrow, but I wonder if they wait until the 13z update in the morning.

I agree on the enhanced tomorrow, but I wonder if they wait until the 13z update in the morning.

It's entirely possible, and would probably be the smart play considering the uncertain coverage of the convection developing upstream. But on the other hand, the dynamics are so strong and initiation is going to occur so late that convective debris may be less of a factor than usual.

Just gonna have to see how tonight's stuff evolves.  New storms finally blowing up over western WI and southern MN.  More importantly there's quite a bit of convection up near the US/Canadian border.  If that continues to organize it will sink southeast towards the risk area by tomorrow morning flooding it with cloud debris, and of course leftover convection.

That convection formed and is now weakening rapidly.

Archived