SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Severe Potential: April 22-25, 2015

andyhb

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's my first hand report, the sky was ugly green.. and came on quickly... we had to have had 80-85MPH winds, right now I'm hearing sirens from FWFD as I expect someone's house was hit by lightning if not a tree down on a house somewhere... I haven't ventured out of my apartment to look but the trees right next to my building appear to be strong, and surprisingly we still have power here... Props to Oncor for building a sturdy power grid!  no hail, just wind... extremely intense winds..

indystorm, the blue dot is my location here in SW Ft Worth just east of Benbrook

post-590-0-96080000-1429918879_thumb.jpg

here's my first hand report, the sky was ugly green.. and came on quickly... we had to have had 80-85MPH winds, right now I'm hearing sirens from FWFD as I expect someone's house was hit by lightning if not a tree down on a house somewhere... I haven't ventured out of my apartment to look but the trees right next to my building appear to be strong, and surprisingly we still have power here... Props to Oncor for building a sturdy power grid!  no hail, just wind... extremely intense winds..

indystorm, the blue dot is my location here in SW Ft Worth just east of Benbrook

Based upon radar the circulation would have passed right over you.

Based upon radar the circulation would have passed right over you.

from what I saw (when I had enough guts to look towards the window) I would not have been shocked if it did.. the rain and wind was so intense I couldn't even look at the clouds to see any rotation, but based off of my eye windometer it was over 80-85MPH winds

I'm not seeing a TDS, problem is the storm is directly in the middle of five radars, so you can't get a good low level scan of the storm. I will say there is definitely a lot of hail in that storm.

It seems more evident when I loop it, I updated my post with a screenshot. If you don't mind, can you explain what we may be looking at there. I'm not doubting you, I'm generally interested in learning. Am I looking at the hail core?

It seems more evident when I loop it, I updated my post with a screenshot. If you don't mind, can you explain what we may be looking at there. I'm not doubting you, I'm generally interested in learning. Am I looking at the hail core?

Yes you are looking at a hail core, the radar is hitting the storm at 8000 feet there, and the circulation doesn't look like a violent tornado that would have a TDS up to that level. What you are seeing is the radar beam bouncing off the hail within the storm.

Yes you are looking at a hail core, the radar is hitting the storm at 8000 feet there, and the circulation doesn't look like a violent tornado that would have a TDS up to that level. What you are seeing is the radar beam bouncing off the hail within the storm.

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Was on that supercell in central texas today that ended up spawning that bow echo that ripped through the metroplex.  Very strange storm, but it wasn't even surface based so I'm not sure why it was ever tornado warned.  The sky was so hazy it was hard to see anything about the storm until it was right on you.  Only chased it for about an hour and a half before it was just a line and racing off to the NE.  One of the strangest chase days I've had, but at least got to see a cool whales mouth.  Nothing else really of note.

Archived