joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that we're in a strong El Nino, going towards winter, how does that affect the global jet streams? Check these annotated pictures with 250mb height anomalies for mod/strong El Ninos and mod/strong La Ninas. The global response of jet streams is almost opposite, comparing the two.

XvlQFBR.png

tbaGNxd.png

Fort Collins was 5.4 degrees F above average in September, and it was the record warmest September (no surprise there.) Fort Collins got 0.20" of rain. My house got about 0.27" of rain in September. The last 90 degree day here was September 27th. That is only one day off from the record latest 90 degree day of September 28th.

My house got about 0.48" of rain since October 1st. It was a nice little cool and wet period there; it seemed quite dreary on 10/2, 10/4, and 10/6. Those days were a huge contrast to September.

We should start taking bets on October temps. At this point I'm guessing DEN will be about +7 DFN for the month. Record is +9, amazingly enough. I have not seen the view of the Front Range mountains snowless anywhere close to this late since we moved here (though that has only been 6 falls), and that includes the two big fire years.

The GFS and ECMWF are starting to come into some agreement with regards to a storm system at mid-week. Some rain/snow showers will affect Colorado on Tuesday. On Wednesday, a 500mb low near Phoenix will kick northeastward and help precipitation move across Colorado and New Mexico. Southern and SE Colorado, including Denver, should get some areas of heavier rain/snow, depending on elevation. Eastern New Mexico may get rains of 1-2". Perhaps there is some chance for precipitation on Fri/Sat (Oct 23/24).

48-hour storm total (October 20-22) was about 1.50" near my house, 1.40" at CSU weather station. That 2(or 3) day storm total at my house was more than each of the three preceding months and nearly as much as June.

June: 1.85"

July: 1.46"

August: 0.89"

September: 0.27"

Decent chance of snow here next Tues-Wed. Certainly cold enough, just a matter of moisture. GFS shows wraparound for SLC with lake effect snow following. ECMWF is largely dry. Canadian is similar to the GFS. 

The last 3 runs of the GFS (12z, 18z, 00z) have shown heavy snow for eastern Colorado around Nov. 6. That's something!

The last 3 runs of the GFS (12z, 18z, 00z) have shown heavy snow for eastern Colorado around Nov. 6. That's something!

Today's 6Z pulled away from the idea a bit, but still showing some snow; I just moved to Boulder and am anxiously awaiting the first snow; I know I don't get nearly as much here as say 10 miles west, but hoping to get some before Thanksgiving.  

Today's 6Z pulled away from the idea a bit, but still showing some snow; I just moved to Boulder and am anxiously awaiting the first snow; I know I don't get nearly as much here as say 10 miles west, but hoping to get some before Thanksgiving.  

Welcome!  I just moved here in September (to Estes Park) from NW Indiana.  Already had a couple of good quality snows up in RMNP, and a one incher in town a few days ago.

Good to see some interest in the Mountain West Discussion thread. The weather really has been -boring- and very frequently warmer than normal from late July to the present day. At least we got some sizeable rainfall last week.

Will definitely be in here over the winter; the mid-atlantic and NE threads were a lot more active, understandably so based on the population. 

Today's 12Z euro depicted a chance of snow in the 7-9 day range, but still some time away. 

Will definitely be in here over the winter; the mid-atlantic and NE threads were a lot more active, understandably so based on the population. 

Today's 12Z euro depicted a chance of snow in the 7-9 day range, but still some time away. 

Euro still hinting at the possibility of two snow chances for much of CO next Thursday and Saturday. Has some support from the CMC (I know), on the Saturday event. 

FWIW, the GFS is trending way down on snowfall for next week. Areas under 7000ft have about zero snow as of today's 12z GFS run. Maybe the GFS will trend back up some time.

My house got about 1.98" of rain this month, with no snow. The averages are 1.15" total precip and 3.6" snow.

Temp departure at Salt Lake City is 7.5 degrees F above normal this month.

OweLk3k.jpg

FWIW, the GFS is trending way down on snowfall for next week. Areas under 7000ft have about zero snow as of today's 12z GFS run. Maybe the GFS will trend back up some time.

My house got about 1.98" of rain this month, with no snow. The averages are 1.15" total precip and 3.6" snow.

OweLk3k.jpg

yeah, and now 12Z EURO scaling way back as well; models have trouble handling cut off lows but not encouraging to see the model trends

OweLk3k.jpg

yeah, and now 12Z EURO scaling way back as well; models have trouble handling cut off lows but not encouraging to see the model trends

Archived