joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on total 72-hr precip from the NWS/WPC. There's more impressive QPF than I was thinking for the San Juan Mountains and Denver, east I-70, and southwest Nebraska. If that 1.25" is close to accurate for I-70 on the plains, then I imagine a pretty big snow accumulation with the potential for true blizzard conditions there.

m0L9cfR.gif

Blizzard watch has been issued east of Denver and for Castle Rock. NWS BOU weather story, updated

http://www.weather.gov/crh/weatherstory?sid=bou&embed=#.Vklbpb_55io

NWS GJX weather story also helpful, if you are interested in snow totals for out west

http://www.weather.gov/crh/weatherstory?sid=gjt&embed=#.VkldR7_55io

Wow. 00Z NAM has a snow gradient from 6" to 14" within less than 10 miles, right over me.  Front yard and back yard may have different amounts...

While this could be one of those storms with a strong gradient, I wouldn't put much faith in such fine scale detail, as the horizontal resolution of the NAM is 12 km.

Maybe this is turning out to be the big storm for some areas, as was advertised by the GFS, well sort of. The GFS has 1.0 to 2.0" of QPF across the Denver area and Palmer Divide, a pretty large gradient. NAM is slightly above 2.0" for the Palmer Divide and the CO/KS border. That's pretty huge.

For those about to shovel, we salute you.

Don't see a Blizzard Warning in Denver often. This looks like it is going to be a close call.

Just an FYI, I live downtown Denver now, even though my profile says otherwise. Will try to give some spotter reports!

Lots of former VT'ers moving out here it seems. Welcome to the area. I work downtown, but am planning to stay home tomorrow and will also post some reports. Elevation 8,500' but we are in a bit of a snow shadow caused by the mountains near Conifer. Hoping for a good one.

An east coast transplant myself from Philadelphia. Live on the far eastern side of the metro out by the tollway near southlands. Wondering if this enough in the plains to experience blizzard condition. Will be fun to see this pan out.

Lots of former VT'ers moving out here it seems. Welcome to the area. I work downtown, but am planning to stay home tomorrow and will also post some reports. Elevation 8,500' but we are in a bit of a snow shadow caused by the mountains near Conifer. Hoping for a good one.

I live at 8,500' too, but just to the northeast of Nederland. Looks like Pine Junction should do better with this one, but I'm also planning on working from home tomorrow.  :snowing:

An east coast transplant myself from Philadelphia. Live on the far eastern side of the metro out by the tollway near southlands. Wondering if this enough in the plains to experience blizzard condition. Will be fun to see this pan out.

My guess is yes. Drive on a road you know very well, get perhaps a mile from the nearest building, and see just how scared you get. Better yet, do it at night... :0

I'm watching the local relative humidity as about 50% is a good threshold for it to snow, instead of drying up on the way down. Now up to 40% at Foothills lab in Boulder. 

Wet bulb is still high enough to start out briefly as rain.

http://www.eol.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/weather.cgi?site=fl&period=5-minute&fields=tdry&fields=rh&fields=cpres0&fields=wspd&fields=wdir&fields=raina&units=english

A wet 1"-2" from this afternoon, snow has lightened up in Castle Rock. Hopefully gets cranking as the low approach soon. Hopefully the stroms in KS don't steal our snow! 

snow has moved down the hill to COS/AFF/Falcon/Cheyenne Mountain/Fort Carson. They really have a lot of ASOS locations in the Springs.

Archived