Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting ready to see some snow, I guess. Temps are dropping into the 30's.  Cheyenne to the Black Hills (all sections in between) has changed over to snow. about 37 degrees here. It's kind of unbelievable. It should be 70 degrees.

Yeah, so anyway... so much for my earlier crankiness. R+ turned to S/S+ at 6:30, now we have somewhere between 1.5 and 3.5 inches on the ground, really impossible to measure well between melting and a good bit of wind. We are at 5650 ft. Would not be surprised at all if the power outages start shortly... our lights have flickered a couple times.

Best estimate here 6". Have 5.0" on the driveway but there was a lot of melting at the start, and up to 7.5-8" on the grass but that was inflated because I haven't been able to cut it all week! Lilacs and aspens took quite a hit because they are fully leafed out, other trees OK, and we kept power. 28 for a low, now 31.

Chinook has probably the worst weather luck of the Colorado posters. I'm not living near where he does.

Yeah but 8" on Christmas!  Anyway, the Boulder/Denver areas are favored for getting the snow out of the NE wind. My place probably got 54" last year (2013-14) which is about average. This year, I will have to check what I posted in the winter, to figure out my total for this year. I may be about 30 or 40 inches lower than Boulder.

During last weeks rain events we saw an average of 1.5" over all of northern Utah, enough rain to fill up 1/10 of the Great Salt Lake(if it all drained in). The active weather will resume tomorrow evening with another slug of moisture and a marginal risk of severe weather. Set up looks good if we can get clear skies to start. Decent shear and cyclonic vorticity advection should help as the ULL spins in.

Tornado reported on the rural area northeast of Bennett. The exact location, 4mi WSW of Hoyt, looked a little too far away from the circulation on radar, but it may be true. Tornado warning for a small storm near Kersey, east of Greeley. Tornado warned storm tracked from near Fort Morgan to just south of Raymer.

Rained all day over northern Utah again. I was driving through Logan Canyon and there was standing water all over the road and people were hydroplaning like crazy. I saw a few cars off the road too. At any rate, scary beyond all reason is what I would call that lol.

Models are showing another substantial rain event in Colorado, with snow at somewhat higher elevations. Model soundings show temps  35-45 in the lower elevations on Tuesday. The freezing level is over 10,000ft by mid-afternoon Tuesday. Note: a Winter Storm Watch above 10,000ft. We could probably use some temps above 45!

We have had 6.5" of precipitation since April 1st, but 3.37" would be average. Much of the area has gotten more than 7" since April 1st.

The gloometer is now pegged,

Fort Collins had a very wet couple of days. We have had 1.7"-1.8" of rain here in the middle of Fort Collins since Monday night. (I added up two days of CoCoRAHS reports). Even as the rain appeared to move away on radar, Fort Collins was getting a heavy drizzle last night, due to upslope winds.

Centennial airport near me has had 2 out of 20 days this month with no measurable rain or snow. The thing isn't so much the volume of rain (though that is pretty high) but the persistence! Wonder if there are any records for cloudiest month. High today here was 45. I cut the lawn in the same fleece jacket I wear most of the winter.

Centennial airport near me has had 2 out of 20 days this month with no measurable rain or snow. The thing isn't so much the volume of rain (though that is pretty high) but the persistence! Wonder if there are any records for cloudiest month. High today here was 45. I cut the lawn in the same fleece jacket I wear most of the winter.

post-384-0-99636000-1432176223_thumb.jpg

Well, May tended to be one of the cloudier months of the year at Stapleton (#2 month of the year for partly cloudy/cloudy days).

No 80 degree days yet this month at either DEN or BOU, and none in the near future. Not sure what would be a record, but certainly very unusual.

No 80 degree days yet this month at either DEN or BOU, and none in the near future. Not sure what would be a record, but certainly very unusual.

It's pretty impressive how persistent the western troughing has been. The pattern appears to be breaking down though. It will be interesting to see how May finishes out.

Heavy rain and thunder now lining up with I-25, and almost lining up with I-76 also

I've often noticed how storms will follow the South Platte River valley and wonder if, over the long term, the rivers were shaped by a long-running weather pattern or the weather pattern is shaped by the geography.

Archived