Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been off for a while because school has been keeping me super busy! Well I am graduating in a few days so I will be a real meteorologist finally :)

This winter overall has been pretty crappy in SLC but we had a tremendous storm on April 15. Temp fell from 76F to 36F in 6 hours, and ultimately down to 29F. We had a gust to 64 mph and a severe dust storm/pollution episode and then 9" of snow at my house all in 2 days!!! Its been fun.

If this works out, much of the Plains and Rockies will have a fairly large amount of rain in the next 10 days

2015_05_03_12z_GFS_240Hr_precip.png

At least in my part of the world most of the precipitation will be driven by subtle shortwaves interacting with modest instability. Generally the mountains do well with these but not so much in the valleys. However as an ULL moves through midweek I do think we see a little more widespread and heavier rain.

Almost all of Colorado will get rain today. You don't usually see that, because freezing levels usually allow snow over a significant portion of the state in upper-low situations.  Yesterday my area got 0.35" and then it was just generally cloudy and gloomy.

Cheyenne discussion mentions heavy snow for low elevations this weekend

THIS COULD
CAUSE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS TO BE SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER AS THE HEAVIER
PCPN COULD VERY WELL BEGIN AS SNOW. WILL MAINTAIN A 6-10 INCH FCST
LOCALLY...BUT THIS MAY NEED TO BE REVISED. LATER SHIFTS WILL MOST
LIKELY NEED TO EXPAND THE WINTER STORM WATCH EASTWARD INTO THE PLAINS. SHOULD
ALSO NOTE THAT GFS/SREF/NAM SOUNDINGS ALL SHOW A SUB-ZERO THERMAL
PROFILE AT LUSK ALL DAY ON SAT...SO COULD SEE SOME LOCALLY HIGHER
AMOUNTS IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN OUT THERE.

pretty decent winter storm watch for May:  NWS Boulder-Denver issues a winter storm watch above 9000ft

SNOW WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE FRONT RANGE MOUNTAINS
  SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND SATURDAY NIGHT...HEAVIEST IN THE
  AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...10 TO 20 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE.

Storms are now stalling on Pueblo and Colorado Springs. Fort Collins got too much rain the past couple of days. Rivers and creeks too high ( I think). 1.41" to 2.12" in Fort Collins, according to CoCoRAHS reports. More rain happened by Windsor in the last two days.

massive overhang on "short" supercell near Pueblo, seen on this cross-section though the middle of the storm. overhang is out to the ENE but the 300mb winds are from the south.

2015_05_09_2028z_KPUX_cross_section.jpg

How do you get that overhang like that in the face of south winds throughout most of the column?

Archived