• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

Hey for all you Texas folks out there: The Dyess AFB radar is about 27 miles east of Abilene, but Dyess AFB is about 7 miles west of Abilene. Why do they call it Dyess AFB radar then? It's not on the Air Force Base. By satellite imagery, it is in the middle of ranchland with nothing there.

I have yet to figure that one out.... Bout like the ft worth radar when the office is in north ft worth where the radar is located at sparks airport near burleson...

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey for all you Texas folks out there: The Dyess AFB radar is about 27 miles east of Abilene, but Dyess AFB is about 7 miles west of Abilene. Why do they call it Dyess AFB radar then? It's not on the Air Force Base. By satellite imagery, it is in the middle of ranchland with nothing there.

This is just a guess, but as a purveyor of FWD records, when new airports pop up and old ones are replaced, sometimes the records are switched over. For instance DFW goes back to 1954 but it opened in 1972. Maybe there was a replacement of the radar and it was placed at a different location for reasons unknown.

A heavier round of rain this time but another missed opportunity in Austin. There might be some more showers here but looks like about it, maybe a half inch of rain out of 1-1.5" predicted. And yet again, like clockwork, a huge cluster of storms is gathering east and south of us, about to nail the same places that have been drenched for over a month. Coming from a place that doesn't get a lot of severe weather, I hope to see some action here this spring. 

At least upstream to Lake Travis on the Colorado had some heavier rain today, so the lake levels can start to climb again a little. The storms have to stop firing so early and so far west-we never cleared out today and couldn't destabilize. 

I was nervous earlier that this would fall apart but we are getting a nice light show right now.  Just poured a tall whiskey and going out on the back patio to watch it roll in  :drunk:

What orientation is your house? I'm such a weather geek, I picked a plot where the front faces north, just so I could see storms roll in from the southwest and snowfalls would last longer in the front yard. LOL.

Pretty crazy bowing segment and bookend vortex tracked south of I-10 today. I had half a mind to get out and set up in front of it earlier today but ended up deciding against it. There were some insane rain rates observed in the bookend on the southside of Houston. One station even had 2.44" of rain in 20 minutes and 3.64" in 30 minutes, which is a rate well over 7"/hr for those specified time periods! I also imagine some wind damage was seen with the bow in addition to crazy lighting.

Pretty crazy bowing segment and bookend vortex tracked south of I-10 today. I had half a mind to get out and set up in front of it earlier today but ended up deciding against it. There were some insane rain rates observed in the bookend on the southside of Houston. One station even had 2.44" of rain in 20 minutes and 3.64" in 30 minutes, which is a rate well over 7"/hr for those specified time periods! I also imagine some wind damage was seen with the bow in addition to crazy lighting.

Everybody along I-10 has been cashing in this week. I saw some white and magenta in some of the cells just off shore tonight. Crazy heavy.

Think a little meso type low has formed on the northern bunch of storms. DFW radar showing a comma shape to it.

What orientation is your house? I'm such a weather geek, I picked a plot where the front faces north, just so I could see storms roll in from the southwest and snowfalls would last longer in the front yard. LOL.

Just north of East/West, backyard looks off to the western horizon and is perfect for watching systems roll in. 

Maybe we can score again today?

CC31B_2UsAAinz3.png

Just north of East/West, backyard looks off to the western horizon and is perfect for watching systems roll in. 

Maybe we can score again today?

CC31B_2UsAAinz3.png

I hope so. Dry line stuff. Hope the models are more east than west with the line.

Nice system last night. Didn't destroy my new house's roof, but good rains! Now, what weather station should I buy? lol Be nice to know how much rain fell here.

Check out the weather marketplace forum in the general forum. I know there are a few threads about stations.

Depending on how today goes convectively, I'm warming up to the idea of tomorrow being a potentially decent severe weather day for Southeast Texas. The NAM has been parking a dryline just to the NW of the HGX forecast area during daylight hours tomorrow with a very moist warm sector ahead of it (got CAPE?). Convective initiation would be a question mark, but if storms were to form along this boundary, they'd go up fast. At a glance, surface winds look to be veering a good deal along the dryline but are actually decently backed to the background flow when looking at things verbatim. The GFS has a smaller warm sector to work with right now, but has also been trending towards the NAM solution, which has been fairly consistent for the past 24 hours worth of model runs. The SPC seems to have noticed this too, bringing the severe risk areas slightly further west as compared to their previous day 2 outlook as well as putting a hatched area extending southwestwards along the possible dryline location. Don't really know about storm coverage or how today could influence tomorrow, but I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

day2probotlk_1730_any.gif?1429385103594

CC6Fei1W0AAjmax.png

I'm guessing this one goes up pretty quick. 

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0360
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0523 PM CDT SAT APR 18 2015

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF N-CNTRL TX INCLUDING THE DFW METROPLEX

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 182223Z - 190100Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...THUNDERSTORMS...SOME SEVERE...WILL CONTINUE ADVANCING
ACROSS PARTS OF N-CNTRL TX...POTENTIALLY AFFECTING THE DFW METROPLEX
AND VICINITY LATER THIS AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING. THE ISSUANCE OF
A WW IS LIKELY.

DISCUSSION...INTENSE CONVECTIVE CLUSTERS INCLUDING SEMI-DISCRETE