• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Late Winter/Early Spring 2015

http://vencoreweather.com/2015/03/10/930-am-winter-like-pattern-to-resume-after-spring-break/

*Winter-like pattern to resume after “spring break”*

Discussion

Overview

This break in our recent cold and stormy weather pattern will continue to provide us with glimpses of spring-like warmth over the next 7 to 10 days or so, but the signs for a return to a winter-like pattern in the Northeast US are rather convincing. There are numerous signals that point to a period of colder-than-normal weather in the Northeast US for the last third of March and the beginning third of April (roughly March 20-April 10) and it is quite likely to include more threats of snow. These signals that suggest there will be a return to a winter-like pattern are described below and involve such things as the Madden Julian Oscillation, stratospheric warming, 500 millibar height anomalies, and the Arctic Oscillation index.

Madden Julian Oscillation (MJO)

The MJO is a tropical disturbance that propagates eastward around the global tropics with a cycle on the order of 30-60 days. It is a large-scale coupling between atmospheric circulation and tropical deep convection. The MJO has wide ranging impacts on the patterns of tropical and extratropical precipitation, atmospheric circulation, and surface temperature around the global tropics and subtropics. Furthermore, the MJO influences both precipitation and surface temperature patterns across the US. Specifically, one significant impact of the MJO in the U.S. during the northern hemisphere winter is an increase in the frequency and intensity of cold air outbreaks across the central and eastern US.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://vencoreweather.com/2015/03/10/930-am-winter-like-pattern-to-resume-after-spring-break/

*Winter-like pattern to resume after “spring break”*

Discussion

Overview

This break in our recent cold and stormy weather pattern will continue to provide us with glimpses of spring-like warmth over the next 7 to 10 days or so, but the signs for a return to a winter-like pattern in the Northeast US are rather convincing. There are numerous signals that point to a period of colder-than-normal weather in the Northeast US for the last third of March and the beginning third of April (roughly March 20-April 10) and it is quite likely to include more threats of snow. These signals that suggest there will be a return to a winter-like pattern are described below and involve such things as the Madden Julian Oscillation, stratospheric warming, 500 millibar height anomalies, and the Arctic Oscillation index.

Madden Julian Oscillation (MJO)

The MJO is a tropical disturbance that propagates eastward around the global tropics with a cycle on the order of 30-60 days. It is a large-scale coupling between atmospheric circulation and tropical deep convection. The MJO has wide ranging impacts on the patterns of tropical and extratropical precipitation, atmospheric circulation, and surface temperature around the global tropics and subtropics. Furthermore, the MJO influences both precipitation and surface temperature patterns across the US. Specifically, one significant impact of the MJO in the U.S. during the northern hemisphere winter is an increase in the frequency and intensity of cold air outbreaks across the central and eastern US.

Nice write up. With the way this cold been this winter. I wouldn't be suprised if we wee cold in June.

Don't worry, I'm sure we're probably still going to get fringed. lol We'll just unfortunately get the colder air to follow which I don't care to see anymore.

Nothing would sum this winter up better than us getting fringed and NJ getting a major storm.

Interesting pattern setting up for late March no doubt though. I'm a bit surprised at how easy it was for me to give up model watching this year, though I am getting pulled back in a bit for this upcoming setup. Usually I claw and scrape for any scraps that resemble snow, maybe I'm just getting old lol Really this time of year I want 55-75 degrees or 8-12+ qpf bomb snow storm. Anything else just gets annoying.

Next Tuesday-Wednesday could be in the 50's as of now.

Sent from my iPhone

Is this for the same storm the CMC showed as a mini snowmageddon redux. Like I said we are gonna get fringed and I will just sit here and laugh.

Yeah, the CMC was also showing a storm during that time period.

The GFS and Euro still aren't too bullish on said storm.

This weekend will be interesting to see which models begin moving toward the other.

Yeah, the CMC was also showing a storm during that time period.

The GFS and Euro still aren't too bullish on said storm.

This weekend will be interesting to see which models begin moving toward the other.

I will keep an eye open but I won't get sucked in like usual. Especially since I canceled my weather model subscription for the year.

lol, we can't even do winter right in the Spring. :lol: But really, missing a snowstorm in late March stings much less than late February.

Lol yeah I know.

It's unusual to get these transfer/CAD storms this late in the season.

Although this has been the pattern all winter, so I guess it shouldn't be much of a suprise.

This is a bit OT, but sometimes I wonder if the Apps weren't there, and everybody in the state/ region was between 1200-1400 ft asl.

Would the absence of CAD help our snow amounts by allowing more sustained cold air to established itself here in the metro.

Or would the effects be more in central and eastern pa, by allowing more warm air to overtake those areas ?

Lol yeah I know.

It's unusual to get these transfer/CAD storms this late in the season.

Although this has been the pattern all winter, so I guess it shouldn't be much of a suprise.

This is a bit OT, but sometimes I wonder if the Apps weren't there, and everybody in the state/ region was between 1200-1400 ft asl.

Would the absence of CAD help our snow amounts by allowing more sustained cold air to established itself here in the metro.

Or would the effects be more in central and eastern pa, by allowing more warm air to overtake those areas ?

I think yes if the mountains were to the west. Then we would get the Cad-ing. That said we would get much less LES and clipper type systems would fizzle more often. So there is trade off

Archived