joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-22 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing pretty moderately in Port Jeff...maybe we can get to that 6 inches yet...nah, that's pushing it.

Snowing very well in Port Jeff now with large flakes / excellent snow growth; at least it is a borderline happy ending.

New record snowfall at Central Park for a +AO DJF. The very strong Pacific side blocking

pattern this winter provided plenty of cold to surpass the previous record holder 1992-1993

which had 24.4" for the season. NYC now has 28.4" making it the first above normal

seasonal snowfall since 1950 with a +AO DJF.

CENTRAL PARK 4.0 700 AM 2/22 CENTRAL PARK ZOO

Snowing very well in Port Jeff now with large flakes / excellent snow growth; at least it is a borderline happy ending.

This is about 1000 times better dendrite growth than anything I saw yesterday.

New record snowfall at Central Park for a +AO DJF. The very strong Pacific side blocking

pattern this winter provided plenty of cold to surpass the previous record holder 1992-1993

which had 24.4" for the season. NYC now has 28.4" making it the first above normal

There have been 25 years with less then 2" of snowfall thru December 31st.

22 out of 25 finished below average (28").

This year is only the 3rd time ever to finish above 28" (average).

Remarkable run we've been on.

LGA is approaching 40".

Those Pacific SST ruled this winter . It gave the NEG EPO  staying power and the cold air was there to tap .

This year is only the 3rd time ever.

LGA is approaching 40".

Those Pacific SST ruled this winter . It gave the NEG EPO  staying power and the cold air was there to tap .

This is the strongest -EPO/+PNA/+AO DJF on record since 1950. All the other seasons with a strong -EPO/+PNA

couplet finished with a -AO pattern. The rare combination is why we are having the extreme cold this February.

What the -EPO/+PNA analogs were suggesting for this winter

What we got

This is about 1000 times better dendrite growth than anything I saw yesterday.

Some very heavy snow may miss just to my east; it will be close...continues to snow very nicely here.

Some very heavy snow may miss just to my east; it will be close...continues to snow very nicely here.

The area around the WSO at Upton look like they are about to be hit by some very heavy snows...just a bit too far to my east.

The area around the WSO at Upton look like they are about to be hit by some very heavy snows...just a bit too far to my east.

Just flurries in Port Jeff now; overnight temp. maxed out at 32.9 F...so rain most assuredly did move through the area overnight. It looks like the overall snowcover was reduced by a 1/2 inch to one inch overnight; though that might have partially due to settling of last evening's snow. Shortly after 6 AM...the area changed back to snow...and around 1.5 inches new fell in the last 3 hours or so. There's about 15 inches of snow on the ground now; give or take.

And if you believe JB's use of the Japan model on SST predictions (and supposedly it has been very good for the last few years) we would have the same Pacific setup late in the fall and a better Atlantic one.

Yeah, I saw that. The JMA apparently cools the Atlantic while keeping the +PDO configuration in the Pacific. It's accuracy is questionable though, and it's far off. Certainly would be amazing if we pulled off a 3rd consecutive above normal snowfall winter.

This year is only the 3rd time ever to finish above 28" (average).

LGA is approaching 40".

The signals were so overwhelming this winter, that even an NAO/AO no-show would not have ruined the winter. The Pacific was about as conducive as one can get, with a record positive PDO almost certainly aiding in the development of a robust -EPO / +PNA couplet, and favorable tropical forcing late January onward. It's a classic case of one ocean ruling the roost if it's good enough. Incredible winter. And with some time left in the game, I think most of us break 40".

So then I guess folks on LI didn't need to "clear the storm drains".

We've moved on to other things LI pal...I was going to invoke an old W.F. Buckley quote...but realized it might not be well received by some.

BTW this is an observations thread.

Just flurries in Port Jeff now; overnight temp. maxed out at 32.9 F...so rain most assuredly did move through the area overnight. It looks like the overall snowcover was reduced by a 1/2 inch to one inch overnight; though that might have partially due to settling of last evening's snow. Shortly after 6 AM...the area changed back to snow...and around 1.5 inches new fell in the last 3 hours or so. There's about 15 inches of snow on the ground now; give or take.

Yes. No evidence of freezing rain here that I see this morning. So at least some rain did fall last night or at least temperatures went above freezing. And it looks like about 1.5 inches of snow fell on the back end bringing my total to just under 5.5 inches.

The signals were so overwhelming this winter, that even an NAO/AO no-show would not have ruined the winter. The Pacific was about as conducive as one can get, with a record positive PDO almost certainly aiding in the development of a robust -EPO / +PNA couplet, and favorable tropical forcing late January onward. It's a classic case of one ocean ruling the roost if it's good enough. Incredible winter. And with some time left in the game, I think most of us break 40".

The QBO messed it up too, had that been weaker we probably would have seen a near repeat of last winter extending back into the middle of the country.  I cannot believe how dominantly positive the NAO has been now the last 3-4 years, even in the 1980-1994 period we never saw a sustained positive NAO in winter like this, 1988-1992 were probably the closest but there were periods in there in winter like December 89 and February and March 89 where it was mostly negative.

Archived