joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah dude, I'm gonna trust the short terms and watch the radar... It was wayyyy to stressful watchin mid storm model runs

I say the same thing now but I know, at lease for me, that won't happen. No way would I be able to ignore the mid-storm models of a possible impending snowstorm lol

My life was like that State Farm commercial with the guy on the phone late at night with jake... My wife would wake up at 3am and here I am curled in a corner blogging and watching models lmao

LOL! That is EXACTLY the same situation with me hahaha. She would wake up and look over seeing the light from the phone or computer....pretending I'm kind of taking care of something but really waiting for the Euro Ensembles. Crazy crazy stuff

The only thing that kept me standing each day after 1 hr of sleep was the excitement....Im dead

The ironic part is that I didn't sleep more than an hour or so Saturday and Sunday night.....and the only night that I DID get a bit of sleep was last night as the actual storm was happening lol. After realizing that the RAP and HRRR were not moving west at all with the band of snow in Long Island, the adrenaline burst that I seemed to have despite the lack of sleep just diminished and I gave up with this storm altogether. I had been telling my wife all along that I wasn't buying into the 20 or 30 inch forecasts, and that we'd probably get 12" if that.....but obviously I was holding out hope that there was something that I was just overlooking and that all of the other models were missing something.....so it was a bit difficult to not get a little more excited over it. All done now and on to the next storm, though I really, really will not trust what any model shows outside of 72 hours or less unless it has strong support from other models !

The ironic part is that I didn't sleep more than an hour or so Saturday and Sunday night.....and the only night that I DID get a bit of sleep was last night as the actual storm was happening lol. After realizing that the RAP and HRRR were not moving west at all with the band of snow in Long Island, the adrenaline burst that I seemed to have despite the lack of sleep just diminished and I gave up with this storm altogether. I had been telling my wife all along that I wasn't buying into the 20 or 30 inch forecasts, and that we'd probably get 12" if that.....but obviously I was holding out hope that there was something that I was just overlooking and that all of the other models were missing something.....so it was a bit difficult to not get a little more excited over it. All done now and on to the next storm, though I really, really will not trust what any model shows outside of 72 hours or less unless it has strong support from other models !

I couldn't shake the pure and utter disappointment coupled with hours of denial

This threat is legit. If fridays clipper can merge with the PV and punch in an NAO block like the GFS, we are looking at a MECS.

Arctic air, southern stream. It's game on. Very bullish on this storm..

Fridays event may surprise too, it won't seem like much to many now that they've had a significant snow but I would not be surprised if someone got 2-3 inches.

I'm learning stuff here as a hobby. Your in the same boat as me or Lil more advanced. Hehe

Resolution has to do with the grid spacing. For example, the hi res nam is 4km. This means that the dynamics are measured in 4km increments. The regular Nam, however, is a 12km resolution. This comes into play with dynamics and how they affect the outcome of storms. For example, if a system is being influenced by something smaller than 12km in terms of length or width, theoretically the NAM would miss it, where as the hi res NAM would theoretically be able to see it. The flip side of this higher resolution is that it allows for more error and also needs a much more powerful computer.

Archived