• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

Just popping in to say hello to some folks from my second home. Go to Tennessee multiple times a year. I see you're from knoxville. I don't know if you drink beer but my favorite beer is made in knoxville. The Blackhorse Brewery. Shame I have to drive to knoxville to get it since they can't ship it to me. If ya get a chance try it if you haven't already. Anyways love the state. Take care guys

Nice! I know it's off topic, but I grew up in Nashville (and 3 years in Paris TN) and went to UT Knoxville. Tennessean at heart! I don't have my laptop with me at work today, but I have some pictures of me sledding back in the late 60's in Nashville I'll share. Man we had some good snows back then. 

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just popping in to say hello to some folks from my second home. Go to Tennessee multiple times a year. I see you're from knoxville. I don't know if you drink beer but my favorite beer is made in knoxville. The Blackhorse Brewery. Shame I have to drive to knoxville to get it since they can't ship it to me. If ya get a chance try it if you haven't already. Anyways love the state. Take care guys

Thanks for popping in!  Yes I drink beer and I'm familiar with Blackhorse, a buddy of mine was a bartender there in the late 90s.  Good stuff!  You must be happy with the weather up your way eh?  Drop by again sometime.

Thanks for popping in! Yes I drink beer and I'm familiar with Blackhorse, a buddy of mine was a bartender there in the late 90s. Good stuff! You must be happy with the weather up your way eh? Drop by again sometime.

Haha no. The winter here hasn't been very good as of yet. Hoping the Sunday system brings some good snows. Had a couple nickel and dime events but nothing that's going to be remembered next year lol.

Love their vanilla cream ale. Well nice to meet yall. Let ya guys get back to the weather. Good luck on some snow this weekend.

Both esm show a brief phase and OZ GFS had a phase but lost it on the 6z,the Euro is basically a open wave and never closes up until off shore.Doesn't look like right now that pesky piece to the SW is gonna move till next week then the N/JT is gonna squash the S/JT.Like Stove said lots of chances though coming up,hopefully someone will cash in and everyone will get something decent anyways

Basically all the AFD's from this morning lament the lack of any consistency in the models, they even note the ensembles are erratic right now. Everyone in the valley still has a shot imo, but we all know the sad trend this year is to be close but no cigar. I really hope this is the one. Flakes will fly north of 40 for sure, as I'll be back in Nooga for the super bowl.

Basically all the AFD's from this morning lament the lack of any consistency in the models, they even note the ensembles are erratic right now. Everyone in the valley still has a shot imo, but we all know the sad trend this year is to be close but no cigar. I really hope this is the one. Flakes will fly north of 40 for sure, as I'll be back in Nooga for the super bowl.

z1D0XRu.jpg

The GFS has a track I don't recall ever seeing before, so I'd guess it's probably not correct.. Tracks the low from Northern Miss to the Northern Plateau, then due East over the blue ridge into NW NC. I just don't recall lows that track NE then suddenly shift due east, especially over the Apps.

The Euro is similar,its riding a stalled out boundary,the euro is more S than the GFS

The GFS has a track I don't recall ever seeing before, so I'd guess it's probably not correct.. Tracks the low from Northern Miss to the Northern Plateau, then due East over the blue ridge into NW NC. I just don't recall lows that track NE then suddenly shift due east, especially over the Apps.

yeah the models have done strange looking things this winter, that is definitely one of them to me.  I think over coming model runs it'll average out it track to be more linear, and not making jogs like that.  Hopefully it settles on just east of the apps never crossing in to TN.

That's a better track, but the SREF plumes and meteograms still have very little consistency so I wonder where they're getting this from.

The maps looks exactly like last night Euro.LP riding the stalled out boundary then getting picked up by the cold front and closing off somewhere around the east coast

It's track runs North Texas, Jackson Miss, Augusta, then off Hattaras. Buries Kentucky and gives 2-3 inches maybe along the Ky border counties. Very encouraging track and would be very close to a big snow for a lot of people north of 40 if it happen with the H in the midwest. It's been consistent with the H to the north, but last night it cut the storm right into the HP. Today it slides it beneath it.

You'll have to drive nearly to the Ohio River to see significant snow except for a couple of inches in SW VA if the 12z Euro is correct.  The 540 thickness doesn't sweep through until the precip is moving out.  Maybe a token inch for higher elevations.  The rest of the run is boring although it does get cold and it does get wet, just not at the same time.

Fai0783.jpg

Edit:  And it looks like the ensemble mean and control agree with the op for the super storm.

Morristown afternoon disco makes apparent that MRX hasn't yet bet the farm on the track of the low yet, and they want to see a couple more model runs to up their confidence on the forecast.

.LONG TERM (TOMORROW NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY)...
QUIET WEATHER TOMORROW NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY BEFORE THINGS PICK
UP WITH OUR NEXT SYSTEM. MODELS HAVE COME INTO BETTER AGREEMENT
WITH THE POSITION AND TIMING OF THE LOW AS IT MOVES TOWARDS OUR
AREA ON SUNDAY. MOST MODELS NOW HAVE THE SURFACE LOW TRACKING NEAR
THE KENTUCKY/TENNESSEE BORDER AS IT MOVES INTO OUR AREA. SHOULD
THIS SOLUTION PAN OUT IT WOULD LEND TOWARDS MOSTLY LIQUID PRECIP IN
THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE AREA, WHILE A RAIN/SNOW MIX DEPENDING ON
THE TIME OF DAY WILL BE LIKELY ACROSS THE NORTHERN HALF. AT THIS
POINT IT LOOKS LIKE WE COULD SEE SOME LIGHT AMOUNTS IN THE NORTHERN
HALF OF THE TENNESSEE VALLEY, AND MAYBE REACH ADVISORY CRITERIA
WHEN EVERYTHING IS SAID AND DONE. OF OTHER CONCERN WILL BE SNOW IN
THE MOUNTAINS. AFTER THE LOW MOVES EAST OF US OVERNIGHT SUNDAY INTO
MONDAY WE GET INTO NORTHWEST FLOW FOR MOST OF THE REST OF THE DAY.
THIS ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL COULD ADD UP IN THE MOUNTAINS AND PUT THE
HIGHER ELEVATIONS NEAR OR ABOVE WARNING CRITERIA FOR SNOWFALL.
WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANOTHER RUN OR TWO OF MODELS HITTING ON A SIMILAR
SOLUTION TO INCREASE CONFIDENCE SINCE PREVIOUSLY THEY WERE HAVING A
DIFFICULT TIME WITH THIS SYSTEM UNTIL THE LATEST RUN.

GFS now shows it as an apps runner right up the TN/NC line into SW VA, then it moves SE out of VA into NC then ejects NE.  Another sort of odd movement.  

I noticed that too and I don't think it's correct.

As far as the Euro goes, considering how it's been performing this winter I wouldn't want to be in the bullseye of the euro either.

Something's fishy with these models and something tells me we may have to wait to within a 24 hour window to know what might be going on - if we're lucky.

If you take a blend of everything we've seen modeled over the past several days I think you come up with a dusting to an inch or so 40 north on the backside of this one with John's house and the mountains doing a little better.  I'd wager that's what happens.  It'll be interesting to get into the RGEM/SREF/NAM wheelhouse and see if there is better consistency on the specifics and who knows it may come down to HRRR/RAP before we can say who gets an inch and who doesn't.  I'd love to be wrong and someone in the valley get 3 or 4.

Archived