SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Amateur predictions for 1/24 storm

BxEngine

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Guess - clearly an interior event at this point.

Poconos, far NW NJ, Orange and Sullivan Counties in NY - 12-18

Warren, Morris, Passaic, Rockland Counties - 8-12

I-78 corridor - 4-8"

Bergen and Westchester Counties to Southern CT 2-4"

New York City - 2-4

Long Island - 2-3

I-195 corridor - 2-5

lol cant tell if this is a joke or u just wishcasting...

At this point, here is my call for this one :

(I think some of the areas that mix will make up for it in the way of heavier snow, while others that don't mix further NW will have similar amounts with overall less intense, but more persistent snows).....

I believe that the best call would be to factor in some mixing and even a changeover for a time possible, especially for our areas further south and east. Sleet and mixing is even a possibility into the NNJ suburban areas, though probably not far northwest. This is a storm that has a lot of potential and not just a passing widespread 3-6 type thing. As with every significant storm, there are areas that could have 10" not far from areas that see only 5", due to where banding sets up. This often occurs as separate bands.....closer to the low center where a mix or even rain can quickly turn to very heavy snow, as well as further NW, where the all snow area has a band develop somewhere overhead and linger for some time

NW NJ higher elevations/SNY : 5-9" highest amounts in banding 10-14"

NNJ/CNJ/W+C-LI : 3-6" highest amounts in banding 8-12"

SNJ/E-LI : 2-4"

First Stab

Sucking substience:

Poconos, far NW NJ, Orange and Sullivan Counties in NY - 2-6"

Warren, Morris, Passaic, Rockland Counties - 4-8"

Prime location:

Bergen and Westchester Counties to Southern CT 8-12+"

Maybe early mixing, then CCB:

I-78 corridor - 6-10+"

New York City - 6-10+"

Maybe prolonged mixing, but prolific CCB dumpage potential:

Long Island - 5-10+"

I-195 corridor - 5-10+"

I-78 corridor - 4-8"

New York City - 2-4

Long Island - 2-3

I-195 corridor - 2-5

Hope this is a joke because that would fail miserably. Inland areas arent gonna do nowhere near as well as coastal folks with this storm :facepalm:

I-78 corridor - 4-8"

New York City - 2-4

Long Island - 2-3

I-195 corridor - 2-5

Clearly ?

BTW  " Long Island - 2-3 " - There`s a chance they see the best banding at the end and those totals would occur  in an hour .

Clearly ?

BTW  " Long Island - 2-3 " - There`s a chance they see the best banding at the end and those totals would occur  in an hour .

I know...such an untrue comment.

anyone calling for 12+ is over doing it as of now, but each to their own.

Disagree. High ceiling with this event especially if it closes off. This has the potential to be as classic as they come.

I know...such an untrue comment.

Disagree. High ceiling with this event especially if it closes off. This has the potential to be as classic as they come.

I agree. There is nothing absolute this far out...there are a ton of possible solutions still on the table.

Heavy snow in these systems tends to be limited to where the best banding occurs. You likely won't see a completely filled radar screen like you would in a SWFE event. Instead deformation banding will take over with very light snow falling outside of that. Anyone caught in these mega bands could easily see 2"+ per hour snowfall rates. That's why we love mature winter cyclones at this lattitude. You always have winners and losers in these situations.

Heavy snow in these systems tends to be limited to where the best banding occurs. You likely won't see a completely filled radar screen like you would in a SWFE event. Instead deformation banding will take over with very light snow falling outside of that. Anyone caught in these mega bands could easily see 2"+ per hour snowfall rates. That's why we love mature winter cyclones at this lattitude. You always have winners and losers in these situations.

mid Long Island 8-16 nyc 6-10. Hudson valley 3-8

5-12 areawide.

NYC: 4-8"

WLI: 4-8" (locally 10")

ELI: 6-12" (locally 14")

NWNJ: 10-14"

CT: 10-12"

I see a lot of mixing issues on the coast for the first few hours before turning to all snow rather quickly. That'll keep totals relatively low compared to the strength of the low as it passes by. That said I wouldn't be surprised in the lightest if we see 10"+ widespread in WLI. 

Archived