• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Newest Member
    Gonzalez Brittany
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Have been out at Punderson the last hour or so. Measured 6-7” here with occasionally moderate snow still ongoing. Roads actually aren’t bad out here…gotta love fluffy daytime snow in March. Had about 2” at home when I left. 

On 3/10/2024 at 8:00 AM, OHweather said:

The beauty of it is it'll be in the 60s Tuesday  - Friday! So this won't last long. As I'm sure everyone is shocked to hear, I will always root for the snow, but I've also enjoyed some of these very mild temperatures and look forward to them returning quickly. 

The band that dropped those 2-3" amounts in parts of Cuyahoga and Geauga with a surface trough axis fell apart before coming into here, I have about 0.5" so far. We should see WNW to NW flow lake enhancement set-up quickly through mid-morning, which will focus on the higher terrain, and then subside quickly this evening. 

6.1" total IMBY. Should melt quickly today with full sun and temps in the 40's. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LakeEffectOH said:

Anybody care to guess what the weather will be like on Eclipse Day (4/8)?

According to one Wx vendor, precipitation is expected to be above normal during the first half of April. :yikes:

C'mon, early April in Northeast Ohio is always so nice :lol:. Really hoping we can catch a break with clear skies... but I would put that in the possible but not probable category. 

2 hours ago, NEOH said:

C'mon, early April in Northeast Ohio is always so nice :lol:. Really hoping we can catch a break with clear skies... but I would put that in the possible but not probable category. 

Well, I've noticed the nicest day of the week is usually Monday, and the eclipse falls on a Monday, so...that may help us.  A little...:lmao:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

The rain and majority of the clouds cleared out pretty quickly this morning.   With just scattered clouds this afternoon , we should have pretty good eclipse viewing!

Definitely a big change from this morning. Perfectly clear skies right now. Maybe some high clouds but a great view.

24 minutes ago, WHEATCENT said:

that was pretty cool, maybe I was crazy but the temp drop felt pretty noticeable as it got closer to totality 

Not crazy, the temp dropped a good 5° here.

It was a very cool to see and experience. The temperature drop was noticeable, although for such totality I was kind of surprised it didn't get darker than it did. Nevertheless, it was great to see. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, NEOH said:

Picked up 1" of much needed rain yesterday from the storms. Hopefully more to come. Yards were just starting to brown out locally. 

Congrats!  Storms were close enough Monday to hear thunder, but all raindrops avoided my yard.  Hopefully the cold front Sunday can produce for us.

12 hours ago, vpbob21 said:

Congrats!  Storms were close enough Monday to hear thunder, but all raindrops avoided my yard.  Hopefully the cold front Sunday can produce for us.

There should be a good chance for storms today out your way... and hopefully more widespread chances this weekend. 

Had a couple quick showers yesterday that dropped maybe .01.  The lake breeze is well entrenched so I doubt we see anything today.  Sunday is looking more iffy as the storms might fire just to the south and east of here.  Need that front to slow down just a bit.

Beautiful disintegration of the MCS right as it left Michigan, exactly as the HRRR had predicted. 

2 hours ago, LakeEffectOH said:

MCS is falling apart as it approaches NEOH.  :thumbsdown:

Main energy headed to our south...as usual.  Seems like almost everything misses to our south nowadays.  Hope this trend isn't part of our "new climate".

Maybe I should move to Columbus...

Don't be discouraged, be happy we did not get the power outages.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

I need to stop fretting over the damn future radar so much. Look at today's result....

The central lakeshore area hasn't done well with rain/storms lately. Ashtabula up toward Erie has been the spot to be for storms. Almost every model had storms over this area yesterday which didn't happen. Only had .32" of precip , while the models had a good 1" +. 

CLE seems fairly bullish for tomorrow. Most of the area is dry and could use the rain. We'll see what happens. 

The Saturday forecast continues to be a very active weather day across the region with appreciable threats with both severe
weather and flash flooding. A strong southwest to northeast oriented 850 mb low level jet with southwest flow parallel to a
surface cold front moving southeast will be the main culprits for both threats. For the severe weather threat, the main 850 mb
jet will be departing to the northeast by the late afternoon and early evening hours. The right entrance region will be over the
eastern half of the forecast area during this time and could offer great support for severe storm development in this region.
The wind shear values across the area on Saturday afternoon are rather impressive for late June with 0-6 km bulk shear values of
50 to 55 kt and 0-3 km SRH over 200 m2/s2 in the entrance region of this low level jet. Therefore, storms have a great
chance to become organized for all severe weather hazards, especially if some supercell thunderstorms can form. A 5%
tornado probability has been introduced in the Day 2 Severe Weather Outlook, as that threat is beginning to look more
intriguing with some convective model output showing the sig tor parameter over 1 in the eastern portion of the forecast area.
However, there is one big concern for the entire severe weather setup - instability. Showers and storms are likely to be ongoing
across the region on Saturday morning and with the low level jet overhead offering support, these will likely persist
through the day. Any break in shower and storm activity and especially any breaks in the clouds could spell trouble as there
will be opportunity for larger amounts of surface based instability to form in the region. Surface dew points will be
trending upward during the day on Saturday into the 70s with the efficient moisture advecting into the region, so it won`t take
much warming to get appreciable CAPE. However, instability is the limiting factor for the severe threat and why a Day 2 Slight
Risk for severe weather is appropriate at this time. The hail threat on Saturday will also be limited to just supercell
development at this time. Wet bulb zero values are at 13k ft and higher and will allow for melting hail (and flooding, more
next!) vs. observed severe hail. The Slight Risk now incorporates almost the entire forecast area as there is enough
shear to be concerned everywhere. However, the eastern counties have the greatest concern at this time with the highest shear
and best chance at getting a late morning break in rain and could be a candidate for future upgrades, depending on
convective trends tonight into Saturday.

10 hours ago, vpbob21 said:

If you believe the models the eastern half of northern Ohio may get pretty much whiffed by Beryl.  I guess this is just not our year.

The trend is definitely not our friend. Hoping for a few showers/storms late this afternoon. We've had a just enough rain locally to keep the grass green but we need a good soaker. 

On 7/17/2024 at 10:59 AM, LakeEffectOH said:

Looks like the storms missed us again.  It's like they approach us with a ferocious look on the radar and suddenly dissipate after passing Toledo.  Once east of NEO, they redevelop.  It seems like this pattern has been going on since May. :angry:

Yep. Picked up just .25" of rain here. Everything has been going around this area.