joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting absolutely blitzed with snow here. Took some measurements with a ruler in different spots and came up with anywhere from 16-23cm at 11:15 am, so on average about 18 or 20cm. Measured again around 12:15 and came up with a pretty level 20cm In different spots and still snowing like crazy. I think we'll make a run at 25 cm (10") before all is said and done. My snow stick in the back yard, which I tried to place away from any potential drifting, and is relatively sheltered, is measuring 25cm at the moment. Keep in mind it was bare ground yesterday.

Getting absolutely blitzed with snow here. Took some measurements with a ruler in different spots and came up with anywhere from 16-23cm at 11:15 am, so on average about 18 or 20cm. Measured again around 12:15 and came up with a pretty level 20cm In different spots and still snowing like crazy. I think we'll make a run at 25 cm (10") before all is said and done. My snow stick in the back yard, which I tried to place away from any potential drifting, and is relatively sheltered, is measuring 25cm at the moment. Keep in mind it was bare ground yesterday.

I'm at 18cm per my deck. Not a certainty but I also think I got a shot at 25 cm.

EC bumped amounts in their public forecast again. Wow is today been not good for them (well, all forecasters really): 5cm, 5-10cm, 10-15cm, now 10-20cm. 

I'm at 18cm per my deck. Not a certainty but I also think I got a shot at 25 cm.

EC bumped amounts in their public forecast again. Wow is today been not good for them (well, all forecasters really): 5cm, 5-10cm, 10-15cm, now 10-20cm. 

Natasha Ramsahai posted a link to her twitter account explaining what is going on. Apparently the storm has stalled right over the GTA and isn't moving anywhere. On top of this, it is picking up moisture from the Atlantic, Gulf of St. Lawrence and Georgian Bay before hitting us. I honestly can't remember the last time this set-up occurred. I'm sure it has happened before, just can't remember.

My sister just sent me a text saying we got 20.6cm up in Vaughan. And it continues to fall heavily.

I'm measuring similar amounts.

Natasha Ramsahai posted a link to her twitter account explaining what is going on. Apparently the storm has stalled right over the GTA and isn't moving anywhere. On top of this, it is picking up moisture from the Atlantic, Gulf of St. Lawrence and Georgian Bay before hitting us. I honestly can't remember the last time this set-up occurred. I'm sure it has happened before, just can't remember.

I'm measuring similar amounts.

Congrats to the NAM and even the RGEM for sniffing this out. Maybe we should give the NAM some more love eh?

Defo band slowly starting to weaken. Got my 8". If the -SN persists through the evening maybe I can make a run at 10" but that's a definite maybe.

HRRR did have the band slowly breaking up by 5-6 so perhaps the process is starting already. Anyway about 7" here. Not bad considering some hi res models had parts of the west end receiving an 1"

HRRR did have the band slowly breaking up by 5-6 so perhaps the process is starting already. Anyway about 7" here. Not bad considering some hi res models had parts of the west end receiving an 1"

What a nice storm. Widespread surprise 6-10". Unlike a lot of our storms, it didn't come in "waves" (burst of +SN, break, then more +SN, then break, etc). Just a steady snow that increased gradually, became heavy, and will decrease gradually. Textbook stuff. Powdery, but not so much that I got a ton of drifting (no grass patches anywhere in my neighborhood).  My fav synoptic event since Feb 2013.

Not so sure it's going to weaken quickly. Radar still seems pretty decent. It'll be interesting to see how long this thing drags out.

I agree. I think it's a very subtle weakening that may take hours as the vort max slowly drifts to the SE. Actually, a second wind over at Pearson. Back to moderate snow at 2.37pm.

At least dec 2014 won't be as bad as some o our Midwest posters

Could change for them towards Christmas. It is kind of weird (although a ****ing nice change of pace) being on the inside looking out, if you get my drift.

Measured 8.3" on my deck as of a few moments ago. Big flaked moderate snow still coming down.

Could change for them towards Christmas. It is kind of weird (although a ****ing nice change of pace) being on the inside looking out, if you get my drift.

Measured 8.3" on my deck as of a few moments ago. Big flaked moderate snow still coming down.

Yeah I catch your drift. I do agree that maybe a spread the wealth type system around Xmas?

Back to this storm I measured about 8" around 3 an still coming down. Probably could make a run at another 1"-1.5" before tapering off this evening.

6cm would be perfect. Like 1/2cm here

Very sharp gradient with this system. That at least was very well modelled and predicted by most mets. The magnitude of that gradient was the tricky part.

Honestly though the KW region was never really modelled for more than 1-1.5". IMBY the models pretty much nailed it.

Ended up with 22 cm at my place in midtown! Kinda surprised.

GTA amounts as of 4:20 PM:

Toronto riverdale 24 (off duty meteorologist)
Brampton 22 (off duty meteorologist)

Toronto Downsview 22 (Environment Canada)

Buttonville Airport 21

Richmond Hill 20 (off duty meteorologist)
Vaughan 20 (volunteer observer)

Toronto Etobicoke 19 (off duty meteorologist)

Toronto East York 19 (volunteer observer)

Thornhill 17 (volunteer observer)
Toronto York university 15 (volunteer observer)

Toronto Pearson Airport 13
South Mississauga 11.5 (trained observer)

Congrats to the Toronto crew.   Nada here, just froze my butt with the raw winds.   Glad you were home SSC to experience it - you would have been pissed to have been here.........We came home from St. Catherines last night and the snow started there about 7 pm, and we got out of town just as the QEW started to become a bit slick.  I was quite happy to drive out of the snow, but I am pretty surprised by how much you guys got.

Congrats to the Toronto crew.   Nada here, just froze my butt with the raw winds.   Glad you were home SSC to experience it - you would have been pissed to have been here.........We came home from St. Catherines last night and the snow started there about 7 pm, and we got out of town just as the QEW started to become a bit slick.  I was quite happy to drive out of the snow, but I am pretty surprised by how much you guys got.

Highly unusual for London to get nothing while Toronto gets blasted. I'm sure your turn will come soon enough though. :)

Archived