CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had large flakes during the mid-afternoon that gave 3-5 cm of new snow, followed by freezing rain til 6:30 pm, changed to mixed and then hard medium sized flakes. By 7:30 pm it went back to freezing rain. Its a dry slot currently with unknown precip. type on the way. I estimate we got 1-2 mm of ice accretion.

xvdja.png

When going through EC's crappy radar archive, I saw some impressive returns on a LES band from November 18 north of me that might have produced thundersnow:

2cgftjm.png

afkc2a.png

There were close to 50 dbz spots far away from the radar site! Paisley and central parts of Bruce county looked to get hard hit during the morning and parts of the afternoon. Then the base of the peninsula got those high dbz spots later with Owen Sound close to them.

Haven't checked sfc analysis but I'm guessing the sfc low tracked a touch east of guidance. Big time temp fail for EC. Still stuck at 1c.

Latest analysis shows the sfc low over or around our area. EC is forecasting a high of 5 (and then falling to 1 this afternoon), but I doubt we'll reach it.

Pearson Airport recorded 2.4 cm of snow yesterday. Up to 39.7 cm for the season.

Haven't checked sfc analysis but I'm guessing the sfc low tracked a touch east of guidance. Big time temp fail for EC. Still stuck at 1c.

They always seem to forecast temperatures that are too warm in the winter. Two days ago they were forecasting a high of 50F/10C in Ottawa for today!?

15hrs+ of RN/DZ with temps between 33-35f at YYZ. Nice.

On a nicer note, maybe we can pull off an inch before the vodka cold moves in. 

attachicon.gifhrrr_ref_toronto_13.png

I was wondering: would this be the winter equivalent of a thunderstorm associated with a cold front in the summer?

In London now so I'm hoping to rock 'n roll for a while. Have my doubts as to whether that'll survive the trip over the escarpment for the GTA.

Maybe we can pick up some les over the next few days.   It's been a lean time around here for LES since Nov. 2013.   Maybe some tonight and maybe more Tues night and Wed.   Just need the winds to stay more NW instead of directly west or the dreaded SW.

Archived