CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the euro is correct, we smash the coldest temperature recorded last year by a wide margin(-28c wed night would surpass the -24c night time low from last Jan).

If that clipper plays out as modeled early next week then its possible. Without any sufficient snowcover it won't be possible.

Either way, we could see our first -20C low temperature of the season. YYZ has only recorded one double digit low temperature and that was way back in November.

If that clipper plays out as modeled early next week then its possible. Without any sufficient snowcover it won't be possible.

Either way, we could see our first -20C low temperature of the season. YYZ has only recorded one double digit low temperature and that was way back in November.

Agree. As of now, I'm liking the clipper potential. The 12z EC had ~0.2" of QPF over the GTA. That's a solid 3-4" given the temps at play and meso banding is probably underdone on the euro given the setup(moist flow off the lake).

Agree. As of now, I'm liking the clipper potential. The 12z EC had ~0.2" of QPF over the GTA. That's a solid 3-4" given the temps at play and meso banding is probably underdone on the euro given the setup(moist flow off the lake).

Agree completely. The latest GFS/EURO all show around 3" for the GTA given the high ratios. If we can get the right set-up off Lake Ontario we could be looking at 5"in the GTA. However, I'd rather wait till Sunday-Monday to see if that LES potential holds true.

The GFS shows another potential storm next weekend. Still a week out, but any initial thoughts? Active Pacific jet looks to setup next week.

FREEZING RAIN WARNING

FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 3:21 P.M. EST FRIDAY 2 JANUARY 2015.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

FREEZING RAIN WARNING FOR:

=NEW= CALEDON

=NEW= STRATFORD - MITCHELL - SOUTHERN PERTH COUNTY

=NEW= LISTOWEL - MILVERTON - NORTHERN PERTH COUNTY

=NEW= WATERLOO - WELLINGTON

=NEW= DUFFERIN - INNISFIL

=NEW= HANOVER - DUNDALK - SOUTHERN GREY COUNTY

=NEW= OWEN SOUND - BLUE MOUNTAINS - NORTHERN GREY COUNTY

=NEW= BARRIE - ORILLIA - MIDLAND.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

==DISCUSSION==

SNOW ASSOCIATED WITH A STRENGTHENING WEATHER SYSTEM WILL MOVE INTO

THE REGIONS ON SATURDAY. DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS, THE SNOW IS

EXPECTED TO CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN. SEVERAL HOURS OF FREEZING RAIN

ARE EXPECTED BEFORE IT CHANGES TO RAIN LATE IN THE DAY OR EARLY IN

THE EVENING.

Noticed that too. But I've also noticed they've trended quicker in bringer the QPF slug into our area. I'm guessing precip starts up probably by early afternoon. YXU already reporting -SN.

I'm not too worried about the sfc temps besides slower accums upon onset. RAP soundings favour little in the way of PL/ZR(brief PL upon changeover maybe) as sfc temps are warmest in the column post saturation. Once you get into the BL there is room to wet bulb down quite a bit.

I'm not too worried about the sfc temps besides slower accums upon onset. RAP soundings favour little in the way of PL/ZR(brief PL upon changeover maybe) as sfc temps are warmest in the column post saturation. Once you get into the BL there is room to wet bulb down quite a bit.

Yeah, still maintaining that nice T/Td depression at YYZ despite actual air temps slowly rising. A quick burst of 5cm wouldn't surprise me at all.

Agree. There is even more room for dynamic cooling once you get above 900mb.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-03 at 10.20.30 AM.png

We cooled a bit at 850 at 15z per the SPC mesoanalysis map (-4 to -5c range). Virga is doing its job. :)

What are your thoughts on amounts? Looks like some of the better convective elements that could have really turned this interesting are going to miss us to the south.

We cooled a bit at 850 at 15z per the SPC mesoanalysis map (-4 to -5c range). Virga is doing its job. :)

What are your thoughts on amounts? Looks like some of the better convective elements that could have really turned this interesting are going to miss us to the south.

I'm liking the over on the 2" mark. Returns on YXU radar look to be moving in a really nice direction right now.  Latest run of the HRRR even more bullish on the LL cold air as well. 

Thinking we can squeeze 3" out of this.

Archived