• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

There's no debate about it. The 3.6cm that supposedly fell on Halloween and November 1 was nothing more than a faint coat of slush. I can't vouch for the other two events in mid November since I was in London at the time but based on what I saw in the news and in this thread, it was close if not a touch high.

And what does YKZ's snow total have to do with anything? Jesus.

I had a feeling you were being way too low with your snow predictions but I didnt say anything lol. I wasnt following it closely or anything, my only reasoning is that deformation (at least here) almost ALWAYS overperforms, and the models had that classic deformation look to them over Toronto.

Are the totals in your sig this winter going to be YYZ or your backyard in Etobicoke?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a feeling you were being way too low with your snow predictions but I didnt say anything lol. I wasnt following it closely or anything, my only reasoning is that deformation (at least here) almost ALWAYS overperforms, and the models had that classic deformation look to them over Toronto.

Are the totals in your sig this winter going to be YYZ or your backyard in Etobicoke?

My inherent pessimism may be contaminating my calls. I've ended up low for the last couple of events. I may have to recalibrate. lol.

YYZ for my sig. I live mostly in London, ON now so I don't do imby measurements anymore.

My inherent pessimism may be contaminating my calls. I've ended up low for the last couple of events. I may have to recalibrate. lol.

YYZ for my sig. I live mostly in London, ON now so I don't do imby measurements anymore.

Oh I forgot about that...I remember you saying you could finally experience one of London's crazy les events. Bet you are happy to be out of the tundra and closer to home!

I'm just amazed you can measure in your area when you're downtown, that's all.

Also find it interesting that YorkU has a few cm less than your area given how close they are in distance. Microclimate ftw?

I used to. I do grad work in atmospheric science with U of T and always call my contacts up there to ask what their weather station has during events

i'm actually a good 15-20 minute drive away from YorkU. And my brother sent me a text before he left saying 14cm so thats why i reported it, haha. 

About 12cm by the looks of it here at Ryerson. 

And really? Thats nice. What did you graduate with? 

11cm down here so far. It's probably 13:1 ratio powder.

After a brief brake, expecting some of the heavy banding to move back in from the north after ~10am in the GTA. Could add another 5-10cm on top of what has already fallen.

Snowing very heavily here. My garden snowstick shows about 9", but due to slight drifting, I'd say I've got about 6 or 7" so far and still snowing!

I think Toronto's last 4 or 5 snowfall/winter storm warnings, dating back to last winter, have been issued on the fly by EC. I'll give 'em a pass on this one though since this is a clear over performer. Closing in on 13cm imby. 

I think the last time Toronto had an over performer was the February 2013 storm.

Band is just stationary. Could see some really high totals. Returns are really good.

Never did I imagine that we could get totals from this. As a family friend whom I saw yesterday, who remembers the December 1944 storm, said to me, Toronto's biggest storms are often the ones where the snow moves in from the east, i.e. a nor'easter coastal storm, as they have the most moisture to work with (from the Atlantic).

Archived