12bet1 net
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rates picking up already.

YXU:

SPECI CYXU 090150Z 21016G24KT 3/4SM R15/P6000FT/D -SN BLSN VV004 M11/M13 A2982 RMK SN8 SLP118

Sort of a convective look to the snowshield from Yonge St. to the east that may be attributable to SSW flow LES but MTO cameras not really showing any ground truth to the heavier returns.

4-5cm here in London. Toronto getting downsloped pretty good. Hopefully the better forcing that's about to move in can overcome it.

Looks like it should as flow will back a bit upon arrival. Kudos to the NAM for sniffing out the early downsloping more effectively than the HRRR. Have a coating down here thus far, but looks like they're doing much better east of the 404.

Could rip pretty good from ~9pm-1am. Also the risk of blizzard like conditions with gusts easily over 50kph.

If the flake size increases then maybe. Still pixie dust for me here, this is getting old.

Hope this doesn't take anyone by surprise. Blowing snow potential is high with this one, yet 6pm news didn't even mention it. 

That's what happens when you don't have a met on air but instead someone who spends time blowing bubbles outside in freezing weather.

If the flake size increases then maybe. Still pixie dust for me here, this is getting old.

That's what happens when you don't have a met on air but instead someone who spends time blowing bubbles outside in freezing weather.

Hey we must watch the same station.

Starting to rip out there and flakes finally getting bigger

4-5cm here in London. Toronto getting downsloped pretty good. Hopefully the better forcing that's about to move in can overcome it.

Looks like it should as flow will back a bit upon arrival. Kudos to the NAM for sniffing out the early downsloping more effectively than the HRRR. Have a coating down here thus far, but looks like they're doing much better east of the 404.

It's snowing at my place fairly steadily. Hoping the rates will continue to increase over the next hour or two.

Are you referring to CFTO/Tom Brown?

The GFS is a snooze fest from now till the 23th with NO major storm whatsoever, lol. Wow! For an El Nino winter its been really inactive. The snooze fest continues. I'm almost done hoping for anything with this Winter. 

Pacific jet is about to ramp up and this should make way for some active weather across the West. Hopefully we see some redevelopment from those storms as the S/W digs through the south and moves East. Another feature is the weakening EPO ridge. However, it'll likely be short-lived before we see a potentially PNA dominant pattern developing after the 22nd or so. Don't want to get into to much detail right now because this Winter has been a surprise for most of us and its been swinging back and forth to much. 

Lets see! Until then, enjoy this snooze fest. 

So many complaints yet YYZers are some of the few in the subforum to actually have an 8-10" event this winter. Just saying...

Anyway not a bad system, nice snow/wind combo. This was never advertised to be much more than a 1.5-2" event.

I know. And it's like these guys never lived through 2009-10 or 2011-12. This winter's been fine and it's going to be the third in a row (barring a major pattern change) that's not complete garbage.

If it's going to feel like winter, at least it LOOKS like winter outside.  More than enough snow to do whatever outdoor winter activity you would like to do.   I think that's all I could ask for -  hate freezing my butt off with nothing to show for it.    Still shaking my head at the fcst for Buffalo.  I think the guy who lives in the southtowns must be approaching 150" on the season after this event (or maybe he's there now :whistle: ).   I live in a quasi-snowbelt and probably don't have 20" yet.   SW flow events vs. the meagre and infrequent NW flow events.  I thought I read somewhere where this winter would feature a lot of NW flow.............

So many complaints yet YYZers are some of the few in the subforum to actually have an 8-10" event this winter. Just saying...

Anyway not a bad system, nice snow/wind combo. This was never advertised to be much more than a 1.5-2" event.

I know. And it's like these guys never lived through 2009-10 or 2011-12. This winter's been fine and it's going to be the third in a row (barring a major pattern change) that's not complete garbage.

I agree with both of you. This winter has not been a bust like 2001-2002 or 2011-2012. At least we have snow on the ground and we did have a great event in mid December. I'm just hoping we don't get a major thaw between the 17th and 28th given my Uncle is visiting from England and I'd kind of like him to at least see some snow on the ground and experience at least one or two days of extreme cold. He wants this too!

This was expected to be a 1-3" event. We got a 1-3" event.

Just woke up to blizzard conditions as well.

Blizz, do you think northeast Toronto will see any lake effect this afternoon?

Also, do you think we can avoid a torch between the 17th and 28th?

Couple on/off LES flurries this morning. EC looks to have put up a precautionary watch for Waterloo Region and southern Wellington County

FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO
UPDATED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 10:49 A.M. EST FRIDAY 9 JANUARY 2015.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SNOW SQUALL WATCH FOR:
=NEW= CALEDON
=NEW= NEWMARKET - GEORGINA - NORTHERN YORK REGION
=NEW= UXBRIDGE - BEAVERTON - NORTHERN DURHAM REGION
=NEW= KITCHENER - CAMBRIDGE - REGION OF WATERLOO
=NEW= GUELPH - ERIN - SOUTHERN WELLINGTON COUNTY
=NEW= LINDSAY - SOUTHERN KAWARTHA LAKES
=NEW= FENELON FALLS - BALSAM LAKE PARK - NORTHERN KAWARTHA LAKES
      GODERICH - BLUEWATER - SOUTHERN HURON COUNTY
      STRATFORD - MITCHELL - SOUTHERN PERTH COUNTY
      DUFFERIN - INNISFIL.