• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

Yes, a really nice pivot point on the RUC. I don't like to put much stock in the RUC due to its lower res but this type of evolution is similar to the 4kNAM and the RDPS which is encouraging for at least a couple hours of SN to +SN.

attachicon.gifcref_t7sfc_f20.png

The 18z RGEM showed some nice bursts of decent snowfall in the region so we'll see how that evolves through the day tomorrow. I personally prefer the HRRR, but the RUC isn't bad either when it comes to pinpointing the overall picture of the event in the short range.

I'm going to stick with my 4-8cm call for now! 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF mean for YYZ is 3.1". It's been running too high this winter for other events but it seems to gel with the RGEM and NAM. Not a huge fan of the slp passing over us or to our north though. I think 5-7cm range is a good call.

Check out the t-snow tease on the 4kNAM. The initial squall line/burst of +SN could drop the majority of the snow tomorrow just after 18z. Decent dynamics for a clipper.

The 18z RGEM showed some nice bursts of decent snowfall in the region so we'll see how that evolves through the day tomorrow. I personally prefer the HRRR, but the RUC isn't bad either when it comes to pinpointing the overall picture of the event in the short range.

I'm going to stick with my 4-8cm call for now! 

The HRRR is my favourite short range model by quite a bit.

Check out the t-snow tease on the 4kNAM. The initial squall line/burst of +SN could drop the majority of the snow tomorrow just after 18z. Decent dynamics for a clipper.

attachicon.gifhires_ref_ne_19.png

Wow! Looks pretty juicy. Love that mini eye trying to develop just north of DTW. We shouldn't have any problem with downsloping tomorrow. Sfc temperatures should be around -1.5 to -2.5C during the heaviest rates. Atleast it'll make it look more wintry outside, lol.

But my commute back home tomorrow evening from Downtown to Vaughan gonna be a bummer, lol. 

Your correct but its just an issue with the sim radar algorithm which happens from time to time. Sfc-UL temps are solidly below freezing according to sounding data.

Yep Buf NWS isn't calling for rain here either. The initial airmass is very dry so radiational cooling will be taking place at the onset of precip. Those heavy rates will help that cause.

EC has been just fine for this event. They changed their call from 7-9 to 4-8 cm. Not a big deal.

judging from radar, I'm thinking this ends up at the lower end of that total. Im going with a 2-5cm general snowfall (in the GTA). Though I will be happy with anything to whiten the ground before some cold temperatures comes in. 

EC has been just fine for this event. They changed their call from 7-9 to 4-8 cm. Not a big deal.

I also don't hold much faith in the Canadian weather based agencies. NWS Buffalo is painting this as nothing more than a sloppy 1-2inches due to warm temperatures and judging from OBS around the area I think that might end up being true. 

Hmm decent returns here but poor dendrite growth. Steady SN and visibility is actually reduced quite a bit but flakes were almost graupel-like for a while. Puffing up a little bit more now likely due to some atmospheric cooling with the heavier rates.

Unfortunately looks like the dry slot is about to move in. Best accums will be well to the north. As blizz96 mentioned, strength of the dry slotting was underdone on the NAM. Still thinking my 2.5" call may work out although may fall just shy of that.

Archived