northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like we have a decent chance of 10 cm.

Your 70 cm call for this winter is really in danger it seems...

As mentioned in the main storm thread by Chicago Storm, this system won't be fully sampled by Saturday. Plus, there are a few 12z GFS ensemble members that are pretty juiced up for our area.

Almost every operational run today, expect UKMET, has been south of our region. Starting to see a small consensus among global models regarding the track. Hopefully we get a better understanding by tonight's 0z and tomorrow's 12z runs, but as I said earlier, our chances are dwindling.

Anyone have the seasonal snowfall total for KW or Guelph? I unfortunately haven't been keeping track this winter due to moving homes etc.

The reason I ask is that at this point I might be shooting for futility this winter. This has to be one of the least snowiest winters in years. Don't think we've had an event of more than 10cm so far.

lol, that wasn't a call. You said "best case" 70cm, as if it were a 20:1 shot.

Theoretically speaking, with the way this Winter was moving at when I made that call, it seemed reasonable. I know you think its oblivious, which i understand, but as a snow lover (like yourself), the continuos disappointments can get to your head. At the rate were slumping, its painful to see another futile Winter (3rd one in 8-9 years).  

But in one aspect, I think were jumping the board too much. Not every Winter is going to be like 07-08 unfortunately, but similarly we say not every Winter is going to be like 2011-12 (in terms of snowfall) and yet, this Winter is proving us wrong so far. Stupid theory I know! 

Theoretically speaking, with the way this Winter was moving at when I made that call, it seemed reasonable. I know you think its oblivious, which i understand, but as a snow lover (like yourself), the continuos disappointments can get to your head. At the rate were slumping, its painful to see another futile Winter (3rd one in 8-9 years).  

But in one aspect, I think were jumping the board too much. Not every Winter is going to be like 07-08 unfortunately, but similarly we say not every Winter is going to be like 2011-12 (in terms of snowfall) and yet, this Winter is proving us wrong so far. Stupid theory I know! 

As usual Snowstorms, I can barely decipher your nonsensical posts.

But I don't think it's too controversial to say that 14-15 will not finish in the same league as 09-10 or 11-12. It may end up as a bad winter, but we're talking about typical bad, not exceptionally bad like those winters. 

Anyone have the seasonal snowfall total for KW or Guelph? I unfortunately haven't been keeping track this winter due to moving homes etc.

The reason I ask is that at this point I might be shooting for futility this winter. This has to be one of the least snowiest winters in years. Don't think we've had an event of more than 10cm so far.

YKF is 61.5cm not including the 1.5cm on Oct 31

Looks like about 6cm out there. Maybe a bit more.

Finished off with 7.3cm in my area. Some light flurries atm. Our heaviest snowfall since the Dec 11th storm, lol. 

My reading week isn't till late February, lol :(.  In the mean time i got 4 tests next week. Hope your enjoying your mini break, haha.

Thanks for reminding me Alan...my obs is from Etobicoke (home for reading week). How did London do?

About the same - give or take 5 or 6 cms I guesstimated after shovelling.   The snow started about 5 pm (after a couple hrs of sleet/rain) just as I got home and immediately started sticking,  so I missed the commuting fun.    For all the lack of falling snow,  we've maintained a reasonably good snowpack.  The lake stuff is edging closer........... haven't seen much lake response this year,  so this will be relatively novel if it makes it here.

About the same - give or take 5 or 6 cms I guesstimated after shovelling.   The snow started about 5 pm (after a couple hrs of sleet/rain) just as I got home and immediately started sticking,  so I missed the commuting fun.    For all the lack of falling snow,  we've maintained a reasonably good snowpack.  The lake stuff is edging closer........... haven't seen much lake response this year,  so this will be relatively novel if it makes it here.

A few more inches came down overnight.  Back out to shovel and get off to work before the rush-hour really gets going .  Will be a slow commute regardless.

LOCATION                    SNOWFALL AMOUNT IN CENTIMETRES

WINDSOR                              5

LONDON                               5

JARVIS                               7

KITCHENER                            5

HAMILTON                             5

GRIMSBY                              5

ST CATHARINES                        7

TORONTO                         4 TO 8

BUTTONVILLE                          8

OSHAWA                               5

PETERBOROUGH                         8 (ESTIMATED)

TAPLEY                               7

TRENTON                             12

KALADAR                             10

KINGSTON                            10

OTTAWA                              11

PEMBROKE                            13 (ESTIMATED)

PETAWAWA                            13 (ESTIMATED)

BARRIE                               5 (ESTIMATED)

WIARTON                              5

HALIBURTON                           8

MUSKOKA                              6

ALGONQUIN PARK                      13 (ESTIMATED)

15z SREF mean has 0.28" of QPF for YYZ and 7.1" of snow. 25:1 ratio. Don't buy it for a second but it is what it is.

Just looking at a sounding near YYZ from the 12z NAM you can see the really deep DGZ in place(~300mb). Without BUFKIT it's tough to tell if the highest Omega intersects this area but based on t/td spread only it looks like it should. If we can avoid a complete fringe/needle fest then I would think we would be in the mix for enhanced ratios. 20:1 is always pushing it though, let alone 25:1.

Archived