Newest Member
    northernriwx
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which region? Hamilton? Yes then.

And looks like we've maxed out on our gains. 0z NAM appears as though it'll have a down-tick in QPF, despite some positive signs initially.

Yeah Oakville/Hamilton mostly. Hamilton gets 25cm+, lol. 

Its a touch weaker with the precip shield. It isnt as extensive as the 18z but the track is virtually the same.

It shows a solid 8-13cm without ratios which would equate to 15-20cm, no? 

Yeah Oakville/Hamilton mostly. Hamilton gets 25cm+, lol. 

Its a touch weaker with the precip shield. It isnt as extensive as the 18z but the track is virtually the same.

It shows a solid 8-13cm without ratios which would equate to 15-20cm, no? 

No. Completely.

And are you really banking on 20-25:1 ratios?

And why are you even here? You already threw in the towel for the whole winter. Jesus Christ.

No. Completely.

And are you really banking on 20-25:1 ratios?

And why are you even here? You already threw in the towel for the whole winter. Jesus Christ.

Maybe i was a bit arrogant when I made that call, especially when we still have 2 months of Winter left. On the contrary, I only come around on the board during Winter. Never really had a passion for severe wx, so I always end up crawling back in during Winter even when I rant my putrescent calls. 

No, i just looked at the snow map where I assumed its using 10:1 snow ratios and it showed 20-25cm for Hamilton. I'd bet on 15:1 right now. 

Maybe i was a bit arrogant when I made that call, especially when we still have 2 months of Winter left. On the contrary, I only come around on the board during Winter. Never really had a passion for severe wx, so I always end up crawling back in during Winter even when I rant my putrescent calls. 

No, i just looked at the snow map where I assumed its using 10:1 snow ratios and it showed 20-25cm for Hamilton. I'd bet on 15:1 right now. 

Yeah, 15:1 sounds reasonable. Bliz96 showed that sounding that seems favourable for decent snow growth. Don't want it to trend further south though or dry air may start eating into not only the QPF but also the ratios.

Plus, even if amounts aren't prodigious, with temps in the - double digits and strong winds, we could have some semi-blizzard like conditions out there Sunday night.

Yeah, 15:1 sounds reasonable. Bliz96 showed that sounding that seems favourable for decent snow growth. Don't want it to trend further south though or dry air may start eating into not only the QPF but also the ratios.

Plus, even if amounts aren't prodigious, with temps in the - double digits and strong winds, we could have some semi-blizzard like conditions out there Sunday night.

Yeah still 48 hours out from affecting us, so a subtle change of even 50 miles could mean the difference between 2-3". Temperatures should be around -11 to 13C during the heaviest rates. 

Atm, Hamilton is in the sweet spot thanks to the LES. Almost similar to the Feb 2007 storm. 

Edit: Can you run BUFKIT on the 0z Nam or nah?

Yeah still 48 hours out from affecting us, so a subtle change of even 50 miles could mean the difference between 2-3". Temperatures should be around -11 to 13C during the heaviest rates. 

Atm, Hamilton is in the sweet spot thanks to the LES. Almost similar to the Feb 2007 storm. 

Edit: Can you run BUFKIT on the 0z Nam or nah?

I don't have BUFKIT anymore. I got a new laptop and haven't gotten around to installing it. You can get it off the KBUF website. It's pretty straightforward to install and use.

Incredible N-S gradient for Lake Ontario. Hamilton gets 10-11" meanwhile Toronto is lucky to see 3".

A shift north is the difference between nothing and everything.

The arctic high in northern Ontario/western Quebec continues to weaken with each run. We'll see what happens as the system gets closer but we're already too close to the event to see big changes with so much model agreement for "not much" for Toronto already.

Amen to that.

It's ensembles do have a bit of a better look but even they can screw up a lot. The euro mean had 20" in NYC for last weeks system and we know how that worked out.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I do like that clustering north of the OR. Downloaded BUFKIT just for the ****s and giggles. Used a couple of different cobb techniques for ratios and they were much tamer than what the operational snowfall maps look like. NAM was generally AOB 6" depending on technique, GFS a bit less, in the 3-5" range.

Snow growth region is decent on both models (300mb deep) but the best lift occurs above it.

I do like that clustering north of the OR. Downloaded BUFKIT just for the ****s and giggles. Used a couple of different cobb techniques for ratios and they were much tamer than what the operational snowfall maps look like. NAM was generally AOB 6" depending on technique, GFS a bit less, in the 3-5" range.

Snow growth region is decent on both models (300mb deep) but the best lift occurs above it.

Any chance you can post the BUFKIT soundings with omega included?

Looking at the raw output the ECMWF showed 0.15-0.20 qpf for the GTA depending where you were. I think for Hamilton it was 0.35-0.40 qpf.

YHM was 0.3", YYZ is 0.15" on the dot. Up your way its a little less than 0.1".

IMO the euro is too far south as it has been slow to play catch up and its ENS members are clustered a bit north of the OP. If the 12z GFS/NAM can nudge north again, then this is especially valid.

YHM was 0.3", YYZ is 0.15" on the dot. Up your way its a little less than 0.1".

IMO the euro is too far south as it has been slow to play catch up and its ENS members are clustered a bit north of the OP. If the 12z GFS/NAM can nudge north again, then this is especially valid.

Yeah its amazing how tight the snowfall gradient is. Anyone north of King city will likely see nothing more than a few flurries to maybe 1cm. Looking at the Water vapour images, you can see how strong the energy plume is with this storm as it draws in moisture from the Pacific and Atlantic.

12z NAM/GFS will be interesting.

EC sticks to the GEM to a fault. It will be a very rare day when they dispute the GEM. I've seen events where the observations outside are not enough to deter their forecast from the GEM's model output.  :poster_oops:

I too think the ratios are being a bit overdone with the models. It will be really cold but given the source moisture and... reality... ratios like that are just really, really hard to come by unless it's lake effect.

The N-S gradient for the Lake Ontario region is amazing. The Arctic high is really putting a damper on things, but it's also responsible for the juicy amounts for pretty much everyone except us in this sub forum. 

If I've learned anything from models:

-NAM is always juicier than reality

-Euro is either spot on the whole time (was the case pre- summer 2013) or plays catchup horribly close to the event

-Large increases in QPF very close to the event end up not happening

-GFS has been a lot better this winter

-RGEM is usually pretty accurate when it is consistent

I think for our region, it's going to be nowcasting to see any small shifts in the low's track: will it be lateral or will it penetrate to the NW at all? Ratios will still be very decent for us compared to further south so any QPF we can salvage will make a big difference.

I think right now... I'm thinking 4" for south GTA is doable. I would be more surprised to see 7"+ than I would be to see 1". I would love to be surprised, however.

Although amounts seem to be in question, I'm wondering if the actual snow event will be exciting. Winds should be decent; and with dry snow on the ground right followed by even drier snow, we could have some interesting visibility issues if the storm does reach up here.

Archived