• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

Having snow on the ground has never been a big deal to me at all. I snowboard/ski at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville and they rarely lose their base at all form Late Nov.-April. I'm just a big fan of large snowstorms/Lake effect with insane snowfall rates/thunder snow. Snowpack is cool, but seeing snow fall is always my favorite part of a storm. Hence all the videos/pictures of me out in it. ^_^

So how much, if any snowpack do you have left? or is it just piles. Obviously BUF is at 0, but if you were at 18" yesterday and had wind and mid-60s today...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow thats crazy. So Buffalo is playing in Detroit tonight....because Buffalo has 0 to 4 inches of snow on the ground :lmao:

Well the stadium is still being shoveled out. But yeah, 65 degrees 50 mph wind gusts with sun all morning and than rain will destroy any snowpack quickly. Even if that snowpack has 6-6.5 SWE in it. It's been above freezing since Sat. Morning.

We should play more games there though, we look good tonight. ^_^

Wow.  NWS predicted all the snow even in the hardest hit areas would melt by tomorrow, but I had a hard time believing it.  It was downright warm today at times when the sun was out and temps in mid 60's.   

The national guard also took all the snow along the side of the road and took it to a huge parking lot on Camp road. The mound of snow is like 100 feet high.

CNYers keep your eyes on the 00Z runs coming up...18Z GooFuS and NAM had enough of a warmer/west jog to put most of us in the hunt for a moderate snowfall, esp towards BGM.  ALB looks pretty safe to be all SN even w/ this warmer solution.  Its probably just the 18z runs playing their usual games but worth keeping an eye on.  We were out of the game almost entirely a day ago around SYR...maybe we'll get a bone thrown our way yet.

00Z NAM not much change from 18Z, maybe a tad less qpf, which isn't much to begin with.  We'll see what GFS shoves out but its looking like a 1-2" snowfall for SYR area and probably 3-5" down towards BGM.  ALB a good bet for 10-14" IMO.  Its a weakling system relatively speaking so while locations that get under a banded feature will do well, and those nearer to the low, the expanse of precip isn't impressive.  Looks like immediate coastal areas will be a SN to RN situation, with 1-3" of slush, as usual, from coastal Jersey to Boston, for those traveling. In between here and there though, will be a hot mess tomorrow.

Well....do you still have a snowpack Buffaloweather, or did all the old snow (except piles of course) melt?

Having driven around the town tonight I have to say my 4 inches might have been lower than the actual snow depth. It's just very hard to judge. There are spots with 6-10 inches of depth and some with even greater than that. There is also green grass in spots. (10-20%) The snow piles on the side of the road still range from 2-6 feet. The National guard took the giant 20 foot piles down and put it in a big pile in several locations on the side of the road. I would say the average snow depth across Hamburg is 4-8 inches.

00Z NAM not much change from 18Z, maybe a tad less qpf, which isn't much to begin with.  We'll see what GFS shoves out but its looking like a 1-2" snowfall for SYR area and probably 3-5" down towards BGM.  ALB a good bet for 10-14" IMO.  Its a weakling system relatively speaking so while locations that get under a banded feature will do well, and those nearer to the low, the expanse of precip isn't impressive.  Looks like immediate coastal areas will be a SN to RN situation, with 1-3" of slush, as usual, from coastal Jersey to Boston, for those traveling. In between here and there though, will be a hot mess tomorrow.

Yeah I think Albany gets 6-10 inches with Cuse getting around 2-3.

Happy Thanksgiving to my old friends in this thread! Wish I could've been home for last week's ridiculousness...but I flew in last night, and I'll be in the area through Monday morning. Looks like we could score a couple/few inches this evening here on the OP/Boston line...

My parents have about 2" of super glaciated snow on the ground leftover from last week - incredibly disappointing compared to what it was. My dad believes the maximum depth at the height of the event was somewhere between 4-5 feet, but when the front end loader dug out their driveway last Thursday night the piles were apparently 10 feet high. Even the piles are small now - the meltdown was as astonishing as the event itself. Oh well...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

931 PM EST THU NOV 27 2014

NYZ001-010-280400-

NIAGARA-NORTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NIAGARA FALLS...BUFFALO

931 PM EST THU NOV 27 2014

A CLUSTER OF MODERATE TO HEAVY LAKE ENHANCED SNOW SHOWERS WILL

DROP SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH 1100 PM. EXPECT

SNOWFALL RATES OF UP TO AN INCH AN HOUR IN BUFFALO...NIAGARA

FALLS...AND THE NORTH TOWNS. THIS WILL RESULT IN LOWER VISIBILITY

AND VERY SLICK ROADWAYS. MOTORISTS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN

TRAVELING THIS EVENING...AND BE ALERT FOR ANY DISABLED VEHICLES OR

OTHER ROAD HAZARDS. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF LATE THIS EVENING.

Rapidly closing in on 5" here in Orchard Park. Dumping snow at the moment. Looks like it'll be over pretty soon, so we should end up between 5-6" when all is said and done. Probably not even worth talking about after what you guys just went through, but this is the first snow event of the season for me.

:snowing:

My tracks from last night were covered up when I went out to measure this morning, but I didn't get a higher measurement than the 5" I measured before bed last night...likely due to settling/drifting. Nice little event and a bit more than I had been expecting.

As the flow begins to back later today/tonight, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Lake Erie plume reorganize a bit over southern Erie County then lift up into the Buffalo metro. The 4km WRF from BTV is hinting at this. Inversion heights will be coming down as WAA commences, but we could "thread the needle" for a brief period to deliver a quick 1-3" in spots. Then perhaps some weak synoptic snows late tonight with the warm front, but I always find that to be a crap shoot around here with a downsloping southerly wind. We'll see.

Can definitely tell that the inversion heights are pretty low given the nature of the lake effect band that is trying to organize south of BUF right now. It looks like we're going to end up with a broad 20-30 mile wide band of light snow rather than a focused 5-10 mile wide band of moderate snow which would be expected if the inversion heights and equilibrium levels were maybe 5-10k feet higher. Moisture in the dendritic growth layer is probably an issue, too. Regardless, some nice mood flakes coming down in Orchard Park right now.

Archived