• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in ENY I've nickled and dimed my way to a decent snowpack after a couple of larger storms in late November and early December.  That lone weenie band coming out of VT dropped 4 or 5 inches on me during the blizzard and saved me from getting nothing.  Decent event for almost the entire upstate area.  These sw-flow type events always come in quick, snow hard for several hours and leave quick too.  Hard to get anything over a foot with these, but should be a decent event nonetheless.

yeah, I dont wanna hear about hamburg. It must be nice getting an entire seasons snowfall inside of 48 hrs. I'll never know what that feels like. Here in the REAL WORLD, we live for 8"-12" snowfalls.

And as far as the CMC, I see no real reason to discount it. Just throw it in the mix and average it OUT. If Euro continues to hold totals to south of the thruway, then I'll know why the NWS refused to throw up Winter Storm Warnings north of the NYS Thruway. But at this point, I guarantee we see Warnings. And snowfall of around 12" from Buf to Syracuse. This set up is a no miss for WNY. All of us. Except Hamburg.

yeah, I dont wanna hear about hamburg. It must be nice getting an entire seasons snowfall inside of 48 hrs. I'll never know what that feels like. Here in the REAL WORLD, we live for 8"-12" snowfalls.

And as far as the CMC, I see no real reason to discount it. Just throw it in the mix and average it OUT. If Euro continues to hold totals to south of the thruway, then I'll know why the NWS refused to throw up Winter Storm Warnings north of the NYS Thruway. But at this point, I guarantee we see Warnings. And snowfall of around 12" from Buf to Syracuse. This set up is a no miss for WNY. All of us. Except Hamburg.

Euro looks great along the I-90 corridor, with .8-.9" from buf-roc-syr-alb

I was being sarcastic. Didn't mean for you to take it the wrong way. This looks good guys!

post-14-0-39373000-1422771563.png

Ithaca looks to have mixing issues on Euro. I dont buy it. You should be ok in Ithaca. Probably 8-12". Maybe a period of sleet. Refer to the Bing Diso (Binghampton NWS discussion). They are VERY, VERY good. And if they don't show mix for Ithaca, I wouldn't expect it. For your region, the mixing probably starts at Bing and heads into northern Scranton area. but not Ithaca or Elmira. Just my 2 cents, not an expert in that area... or any other for that matter.

Ithaca looks to have mixing issues on Euro. I dont buy it. You should be ok in Ithaca. Probably 8-12". Maybe a period of sleet. Refer to the Bing Diso (Binghampton NWS discussion). They are VERY, VERY good. And if they don't show mix for Ithaca, I wouldn't expect it. For your region, the mixing probably starts at Bing and heads into northern Scranton area. but not Ithaca or Elmira. Just my 2 cents, not an expert in that area... or any other for that matter

On the euro 850 temps stay well below 0C around ITH and BGM. Unless theres a sneaky warm nose at 800 mb it looks like all snow.. just slightly less from the initial WAA thump.

Yeah, I like Ithaca and Bing for around a foot. AS I do for the entire WNY area. This forecast is as easly as it gets. Seldom is this the case. Lake enhancement could add a bit north of the NYS Thruway, but busting low is not an issue for this forecast everywhere North of the PA line and west of Binghampton.

Way ova here on the Eastern side of the Lake were getting some Lake snow/enhancement mainly due to a secondary CF dropping south so maybe a few xtra inches before the event takes off tomorrow afternoon.  A true Superbowl Mauler rolling its way through.  The upside to this snow thats falling is that tomorrows event shouldn't take long to get going as most levels should be saturated already so no wasted precip on VIRGA!!

I'm not worried about the convection. It might just make a stronger storm. Driving it further north. We are all good in WNY. As far as the eastern Lake Ontario counties, I'm not as confident. I dont know how storms of this nature bahave there. I might be worried about transfer of energy to the coast stealing a lot of your energy. Plus, you wont get the help from Lake Ontario on the NE wind. But all systems go for just West of Syracuse to Buffalo for a foot or more. KRoc looking at more like 14"-16" in my opinion. We shall see.

Am not liking the convection to the East of the SLP!!  This is exactly what LEK alluded to in a previous post!

That convection would be benign...I'm talking squall line stuff..where the line is visibly outrunning the main dynamics to the west of it....essentially "drying" the aimass behind it, which then gets wrapped into and to the north....so far things look great for us...although, I do note that the models have shaved a bit of qpf up this way, and the slp is a little weaker in depiction in most progs. vs. prior runs of the like.

Interestingly, NWS BUF has placed their highest totals in areas WS watches were posted last.  I personally would cut the amounts by 20%.....same with BGM's totals....and there, I'd then shift the axis of highest totals northward about 30 miles or so...

StormTotalSnow.png

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

That convection would be benign...I'm talking squall line stuff..where the line is visibly outrunning the main dynamics to the west of it....essentially "drying" the aimass behind it, which then gets wrapped into and to the north....so far things look great for us...although, I do note that the models have shaved a bit of qpf up this way, and the slp is a little weaker in depiction in most progs. vs. prior runs of the like.

Interestingly, NWS BUF has placed their highest totals in areas WS watches were posted last. I personally would cut the amounts by 20%.....same with BGM's totals....and there, I'd then shift the axis of highest totals northward about 30 miles or so...

StormTotalSnow.png

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Pretty poor continuity between Buf and bgm. Take a look at where those maps overlap near Syracuse. I think Buffalos storm totals look much more realistic. This is a great storm track and will likely over perform.

THE REAL ACTION WILL BE TONIGHT THROUGH Monday AS THE MAIN SYSTEM

APPROACHES. STRONG WARM ADVECTION AND ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE WILL

OVERSPREAD THE REGION FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST DURING THE

EVENING. SPECIFIC HUMIDITY NEAR THE 700MB LAYER INCREASES TO AROUND

3.5G/KG ACROSS THE WESTERN SOUTHERN TIER AND AROUND 2.5G/KG FROM THE

NIAGARA FRONTIER EAST TO THE SOUTHERN TUG HILL REGION DURING THE

PERIOD OF ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE. THE GARCIA METHOD WOULD THUS SUGGEST

5-8 INCHES OF WARM ADVECTION SNOW ACROSS THE SOUTHERN TIER...AND 4-6

INCHES FROM THE THRUWAY NORTHWARD. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS JUST WITH

THE FIRST PHASE OF WARM ADVECTION FORCING WITH THIS SYSTEM.

FOLLOWING THE INITIAL PUSH OF WARM ADVECTION SNOW...A ZONE OF

STRETCHING DEFORMATION AND FRONTOGENESIS WILL MATURE ACROSS OUR

REGION LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THE FIRST HALF OF MONDAY ON THE NORTHERN

PERIPHERY OF THE 850MB CIRCULATION. AN EXAMINATION OF TIME/HEIGHT

CROSS SECTIONS SHOWS SOME LAYERS OF -EPV AS WELL...SUGGESTING SOME

POTENTIAL FOR EMBEDDED MESO-BANDING AND ENHANCED SNOWFALL RATES

DURING THE WARM ADVECTION PHASE AND EARLY DEFORMATION ZONE PHASE.

EXPECT AT LEAST SEVERAL MORE INCHES OF ACCUMULATION FROM THE

DEFORMATION ZONE THROUGH THE DAY.

THE FINAL FACTOR WILL BE LAKE ENHANCEMENT...WHICH MAY BE SIGNIFICANT

ALONG THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ONTARIO FROM NIAGARA TO WAYNE COUNTIES

INCLUDING THE ROCHESTER AREA. THE LAKE ENHANCEMENT WILL ADD SOME

MOISTURE...BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY WILL ALTER THE CLOUD MICROPHYSICS

ALONG THE SOUTH SHORE OF THE LAKE AND RESULT IN LARGER...MORE FLUFFY

SNOWFLAKES WHICH HAVE A HIGHER SNOW-WATER RATIO THAN THE REST OF THE

SYNOPTIC ENVIRONMENT. THIS WILL LIKELY BOOST ACCUMULATIONS

ESPECIALLY ON MONDAY AS THE FLOW BECOMES BETTER ALIGNED FROM THE

NORTHEAST AND EVENTUALLY NORTH.

PUTTING ALL OF THIS TOGETHER...EXPECT A GENERAL 8-12 INCH

ACCUMULATION IN MOST AREAS WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 12-15 INCHES ALONG

THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ONTARIO FROM NIAGARA TO WAYNE COUNTIES.

THERE MAY ALSO BE SOME LOCAL AMOUNTS EXCEEDING A FOOT ELSEWHERE IF

MESOSCALE BANDING DOES INDEED FORM. THE LOWEST ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE

ACROSS JEFFERSON COUNTY...WHICH IS JUST A LITTLE FAR NORTH GIVEN THE

CURRENT STORM TRACK...AND WILL ALSO FIGHT DRY AIR IN THE LOW LEVELS

WHICH WILL BE SUPPLIED BY NORTHEAST WINDS OUT OF QUEBEC. EXPECT

TOTALS THERE TO RANGE FROM 4-8 INCHES.

NORTHEAST WINDS WILL PRODUCE SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN MANY

AREAS...BUT THE WINDS WILL BE STRONGEST BY FAR ALONG THE SOUTH SHORE

OF LAKE ONTARIO WHERE GUSTS OF 40-45 MPH ARE POSSIBLE. THIS WILL

PRODUCE LOCAL WHITEOUTS AT TIMES ESPECIALLY WITHIN 10-15 MILES OF

THE LAKE. TEMPERATURES WILL BE VERY COLD THROUGH THIS EVENT...ONLY

IN THE LOWER TEENS OR HIGH SINGLE NUMBERS IN MANY AREAS TONIGHT

THROUGH MONDAY. THE COMBINATION OF COLD TEMPERATURES AND WINDS WILL

PRODUCE WIND CHILLS OF AROUND 10 BELOW IN MANY AREAS...AND 20-25

BELOW ACROSS THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY.

I think WNY will be fine...again, totals there around a foot area wide....CNY, I have a few more concerns (downsloping, possible mixing further north than depicted, heaviest qpf NORTH of SYR, etc.)  I think SYR comes in around 10"...BGM about the same...with areas inbetween getting maybe up to 14" (hills)....let the fun begin!

I was being sarcastic. Didn't mean for you to take it the wrong way. This looks good guys!

post-14-0-39373000-1422771563.png

Yeah you guys have had some great/epic LES out there and up towards ART...at least someone has had fun thus winter so far! Personally, Always glad to see our forum members do well! Fingers crossed for this one.

One fly in the ointment that always rears its ugly head is snow growth. I don't have BUFKIT anymore but I'm always nervous that best lift doesn't align with snow growth region and you end up with lousy dendrites and underperformance. I have no idea that this is the case here, just thinking aloud about what can go wrong.

Archived