• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The precip shield is massive as I am trying to figure out the paltry amounts the latest briefing out of KBGM has?  It just doesn't make sense. 6-8" for KSYR, come on are they serious?  Whats up with the collaboration between KBUF and KBGM cause there need to be one because KBUF has 10-14 while 6-8" from KBGM......  DT like, lol!

The precip shield is massive as I am trying to figure out the paltry amounts the latest briefing out of KBGM has?  It just doesn't make sense. 6-8" for KSYR, come on are they serious?  Whats up with the collaboration between KBUF and KBGM cause there need to be one because KBUF has 10-14 while 6-8" from KBGM......  DT like, lol!

Yes, BGM is way too conservative for its northern areas. I have no clue what they're seeing.

Anyway, roads and sidewalks here are now coated.

Maybe downsloping as some models suggest for CNY??? I have a question for you or whomever: I am adding up the QPF on each 3 hour panel(850 mslp) and it does not add up when I check total precip. The NAM has us in .5 to .75(I realize on edge of .75 to 1.00) but when I add up the other I get close to an inch. This is even doing the low range on the precip. Probably nitpicking just curious. This is a massive storm just not super strong!

Just read a post from another forum and an greaqt anolog to this particulas storm system was mentionede and I went back to check the set-up and it looks almost identical!  Take a look and then check to see what areas got what as the amounts.  Amounts ramped up toward S-CNY and points N&W as the typical change over occurred in the big cities but now before a healthy 5-7" fell across the area!

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2003.html

December 13-14-15 is before during and after!

Its not identical as analogs aren't supposed to, be but their there representations do show the similarities between the two systems.

KBGM's Mets are not conservative their just champs at adjusting upwards instead of downwards, lol.  They say, its better to adjust upwards instead of downwards as it shows at least you hit the low end but was a bit too conservative on totals which is OK to the public but unacceptable to US weenies as we like to see massive snow maps like WB's colorful depiction, lol.  

KBUF, they too are grossly underestimating the Northern extent of this shield and the Meso Bands that are gonna make it up to Governour are gonna smoke the totals they have for that area. Its a nowcast situation so start the measuring you guys out West!

BTW, if snow is falling anywhere out there yet.  whats the Growth like of the dendrites falling ?  Hows the riming look as the dendrites are descending through th BL?  Are they coalescing into giant Moth Balls, lol??

BTW, if snow is falling anywhere out there yet.  whats the Growth like of the dendrites falling ?  Hows the riming look as the dendrites are descending through th BL?  Are they coalescing into giant Moth Balls, lol??

I was out a while ago and can say that the snowflake size is a mixture of very small stuff (probably the larger scale precip component) and some larger (but not huge) flakes, probably a lingering lake effect component. All day we had light to moderate lake flakes which were decent size. It seems the recent uptick in precip rate and downtick in visibility is due to the addition of the smaller crystals to what was already falling.

Nothing like giant mothballs!

I was out a while ago and can say that the snowflake size is a mixture of very small stuff (probably the larger scale precip component) and some larger (but not huge) flakes, probably a lingering lake effect component. All day we had light to moderate lake flakes which were decent size. It seems the recent uptick in precip rate and downtick in visibility is due to the addition of the smaller crystals to what was already falling.

Nothing like giant mothballs!

Thanks coh, as I was just wondering how the snowflake process (Cloud Physics) up above was working today as it looks as optimal as I've seen it (speaking of data), this season so far synoptically!

According to the new NAM a storm that was once a 994 SLP in WPA has become a 1004 SLP with a negligable transfer of energry which looks incorrect to me from the new 18Z Nam depiction! Also dryslots the whole So.Tier with little wrap around which should cut down on amounts drastically that's why KBGM needs to do some serious updating cause their total map looks horrendous!  They have a chance of changing over to plain RN/FZRN in NEPA for a time as well, so I don't know whats up with them!!

I'm probably wrong but we'll see!

19295_10104783775632169_5125668427815653

Here's a map from Matt Lanza, former frequent BB-frequenter, who forecasted for central NY out of WKTV in Utica for a few years.

That map looks right on IMO..wherever the banding sets up will cash in big time and that looks to be off to the north. NAM cross-sections reveal the potential for some slantwise convection across north central NY too.

That map looks right on IMO..wherever the banding sets up will cash in big time and that looks to be off to the north. NAM cross-sections reveal the potential for some slantwise convection across north central NY too.

I like it overall. Those far northern new yorkers who were expecting to get hardly anything 24-48 hours ago are in for a surprise.

I like it overall. Those far northern new yorkers who were expecting to get hardly anything 24-48 hours ago are in for a surprise.

They sure are, lol, and the southern tire folks who thought they were getting blitzed are also in for a surprise as they wake thinking there'll be a blanket of white, as there will be, but there might be something else falling form the sky instead of SN!!

They sure are, lol, and the southern tire folks who thought they were getting blitzed are also in for a surprise as they wake thinking there'll be a blanket of white, as there will be, but there might be something else falling form the sky instead of SN!!

Yup, no kidding! I'm always leery of these type of Ohio Valley storms that keep getting progged farther and farther north as we get closer. I know we all start wishing for a stronger and more wrapped up primary low, but all remember those times when the dry slot ends up 100 miles farther north and it's 33 degrees and drizzling. It's a good thing we have such a deep cold airmass in place, and we're dealing with a fairly progressive system.

Any thoughts on the unexpected blizzard-ish conditions in Chicago and the storm as it continues to get organized and move eastward? It looks like we may see some of those wind velocities in WNY (especially along the lakeshore) ...

Sfc/low-level gradients are quite a bit stronger there than they will be along the Ontario shore. Would expect 5-10 mph less wind, and they are 'only' sustained 20-25 with gusts 30-35 overall...probably reaching strict blizzard criteria only within a mile or two of the lakeshore.

Do you think they'll upgrade the advisory for ART?

Hard to predict what they will do, but I would if I were them. The advisory already has 4-8" with 15-25mph winds and -20 to -25F wind chills in it. Given the unusual cold temps with this type of storm, I would tend to lower the warning criteria to account for impacts. Not to mention that they are looking at more than 4-8 now...

RADAR SHOWS SNOW SHIELD CONTINUING TO MOVE NORTHEAST ACRS C NY AND
NE PA AS WAA OR ISENTROPIC LIFT CONTINUES TO INCREASE OVER THE
REGION. THE UPPER LEVEL JET STRUCTURE WAS LEADING TO A RIGHT
ENTRANCE REGION JET CIRCULATION OVER NY AND PA WITH A LEFT EXIT
REGION MOVING NORTH TWD THE REGION FROM THE SOUTHERN
STREAM. THE AGEO CIRC THAT RESPONDS TO THIS JET CONFIGURATION
PRESSES THE LOW-LEVEL ISENTROPES FARTHER SOUTH AS THE LEFT EXIT
LEADS TO SIGNIFICANT FLOW UP THE ISENTROPES. ADDITIONALLY THE
UPPER LEVEL SHORT WAVE THAT WAS LEADING TO THESE UPPER JET
STRUCTURES WAS MOVING EASTWARD AND WILL REACH OH AND THE ERN LAKES
BY 12Z AND CNTRL NY BY 18Z AND WRN NEW ENGLAND BY 00Z. THIS UPR
LVL WAVE WILL ALSO BE LIFTING THE ISENTROPES AS THE WAVE MOVES
E...LEADING TO IMPRESSIVE LIFTING WITH THIS SYSTEM OVER C NY AND
NE PA.

MODEL RADARS INDICATE THAT THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL OCCUR BETWEEN
ROUGHLY 6Z-9Z AND 12-15Z FROM SW TO NE. BELIEVE UP TO 2 INCHES PER
HOUR IS MOST LIKELY ACRS NC NY WHERE SNOW TO LIQUID RATIOS WILL BE
HIGHER.

BELIEVE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL BE ACRS NC NY WHERE 10-14 INCHES WILL
LIKELY OCCUR. FARTHER S...ACRS MUCH OF THE FINGER LAKES AND SC
NY/NRN TIER OF ERN PA...LOOKS LIKE 8-12 INCHES. FARTHER
S...EXPECT 5 TO 8 INCHES AT BEST. WARMER AIR WILL MAKE IT TO THE
NRN TIER OF ERN PA AS PER 18Z RUNS OF THE NAM...GFS...RGEM AND THE
2.5 KM HI RES CANADIAN MODELS AND THE LATEST HRRR AND RAP MODELS
BY 12Z TO 15Z MON. I USED ALL THIS NEW GUIDC TO ADJUST THE ZR AND IP
FARTHER N INTO THE NRN TIER OF ERN PA MON AM. MORE SLEET AND
FREEZING RAIN IN THE AVP AREA TO POCONOS WILL CUT SNOW AMNTS DOWN.
FOR NOW HAVE 5 TO 8 INCHES WITH ARND .1 TO .2 INCHES OF ICE

This is nice.! Hoping.

Archived