• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on my crude measurements up here at SU, yesterday and this morning....about 16-18" for the event...thus far.

Good to hear, makes sense. Although forecasted, I was still surprised to see the 20+" totals in our area. Was also surprised that 10:1 snow is so "heavy". I've become used to our more typical 12:1 or better ratios up here. Not to mention the "Champaign Powder" from the lake at times. ;)

Round 1(Last Night)- 1.5"

Round 2(Overnight)- 5.2"

Round 3(Daytime)- 1.6"

Storm Total was 8.3"

Current depth is 7"

I think KBuf ends up with close to 10 inches from this as I was working right next to their location all day and had 2-3 inches on my car when I left. Also, really surprised KBUF never went with WSW, it verified and exceeded practically all across WNY. 8-14 inches within 24 hours.

I think KBuf ends up with close to 10 inches from this as I was working right next to their location all day and had 2-3 inches on my car when I left. Also, really surprised KBUF never went with WSW, it verified and exceeded practically all across WNY. 8-14 inches within 24 hours.

KBUF develops these aversions to overusing certain products. Blizzard Warnings were the most notable -- at least one LES storm per year seems to meet blizzard criteria, yet until last year there hadn't been a warned blizzard in two decades. I wonder if not going to a WSW for Thursday was the result of not wanting to use a warning product for what seemed like it was going to be a marginal winter storm so soon after the LES craziness a few weeks back. As it turned out, the storm hit right before morning rush hour, and caught quite a few people by surprise. The morning commute was a real mess. Coworkers from Cheektowaga had a 90 minute drive. Would a warned storm have made a difference? A WSW might have led some folks to start out a bit earlier, lessening the congestion. I'd like to see KBUF just make a criteria-based call instead of seeming to worry about over-warning.

Crazy amounts! 2 feet across Syracuse must be one of their biggest synoptic storms in quite some time.

I think you are right about that. As I get older I seem to not remember individual storms as well. That, and the frequency of individual snowfalls around here tends to create a memory overload. I can still remember many storms from when I lived elsewhere because there were so few. We always seem to get at least one or two synoptic storms that deposit around a foot each winter and many synoptic and LES events in the 3-10" range.

What made this one more memorable were the gaudy totals in the hilltowns. From a flatlander/weenie perspective though, the most memorable part was the cutoff nature of the low and it's backing in...and that my kids only managed to get a 1/2 day off from school from the whole system. ;)

VD II, all the way back in '07 is the best synoptic storm I've seen in my 10 yrs here...but that's only because the ~14" synoptic was roughly matched by the LES that followed over the next two days.

KBUF develops these aversions to overusing certain products. Blizzard Warnings were the most notable -- at least one LES storm per year seems to meet blizzard criteria, yet until last year there hadn't been a warned blizzard in two decades. I wonder if not going to a WSW for Thursday was the result of not wanting to use a warning product for what seemed like it was going to be a marginal winter storm so soon after the LES craziness a few weeks back. As it turned out, the storm hit right before morning rush hour, and caught quite a few people by surprise. The morning commute was a real mess. Coworkers from Cheektowaga had a 90 minute drive. Would a warned storm have made a difference? A WSW might have led some folks to start out a bit earlier, lessening the congestion. I'd like to see KBUF just make a criteria-based call instead of seeming to worry about over-warning.

Very good point. KBUF received 9.3 inches of snow in 24 hours which is certainly Winter Storm Warning criteria here. Many places north of Buffalo received 10-14 inches. But those places north of Buffalo barely received anything from the LES event. I left at 7:55 to go to work and got there at 9:35 on Thurs. morning. I pass the BUF NWS on the way to there. Someone who drove from Dunkirk and it took them 3 hours. It definitely should of been a WSW. Great points though.

I think you are right about that. As I get older I seem to not remember individual storms as well. That, and the frequency of individual snowfalls around here tends to create a memory overload. I can still remember many storms from when I lived elsewhere because there were so few. We always seem to get at least one or two synoptic storms that deposit around a foot each winter and many synoptic and LES events in the 3-10" range.

What made this one more memorable were the gaudy totals in the hilltowns. From a flatlander/weenie perspective though, the most memorable part was the cutoff nature of the low and it's backing in...and that my kids only managed to get a 1/2 day off from school from the whole system. ;)

VD II, all the way back in '07 is the best synoptic storm I've seen in my 10 yrs here...but that's only because the ~14" synoptic was roughly matched by the LES that followed over the next two days.

Yeah, the Syracuse reporting station is in a much better location for seasonsal snow totals than KBUF. I believe it is a few miles north of Syracuse and is in a better position for synoptic storms and noreasters. Not to mention Ontario plumes all season because it doesn't freeze. If the Buffalo reporting station was 4-5 miles south of its current location in Lancaster/Elma area the seasonal averages would be able to rival those of Syracuse. Most likely in the 120-150 inches per year range.

It's a ways off yet, but the 168 hr 12z EC shows a decent storm tucked in close to NYC, a Miller A system rumbling up from the Gulf. GFS as usual has a flat wave threatening Bermuda. Worth keeping an eye on.

Saw that to. Latest GFS is progressive and brings a few inches across WNY/Central NY. At least there is some things to track in the next few weeks.

LEK or anyone else, do you know what the highest recorded snowfall total in the Tug was last year?

Buffalo, I don't know any exact totals off the top of my head, but the previous winter was when the OWLeS project took place off Ontario and some were stationed in the Tughill during the duration of the project. My friends from Millersville told me that during the first true arctic outbreak involving the PV over the lakes from January 5th to 10th, there was a long duration event that they split into two separate analyzing points for the project. The highest total they received during the entire project was around 100" just to the west of Redfield occurring over a 3 day period with the first section of the event dumping over 60" and the second close to 40". The base out their in Redfield at one point was around 8.5-9' by the next week in mid January. 

That's what I've heard, so I'll just leave it at that. That project had 27 different events to cover last year and the data they received was staggering. Millersville was very involved in the project and had the most participants by more than 2x any University during the study. A lot of hard work and dedication for many of my friends. Also, not a lot of sleep when you have 27 events haha. My friends have some crazy pictures. I'll see if I can scrape some up and share with everyone here  ^_^

Buffalo, I don't know any exact totals off the top of my head, but the previous winter was when the OWLeS project took place off Ontario and some were stationed in the Tughill during the duration of the project. My friends from Millersville told me that during the first true arctic outbreak involving the PV over the lakes from January 5th to 10th, there was a long duration event that they split into two separate analyzing points for the project. The highest total they received during the entire project was around 100" just to the west of Redfield occurring over a 3 day period with the first section of the event dumping over 60" and the second close to 40". The base out their in Redfield at one point was around 8.5-9' by the next week in mid January. 

That's what I've heard, so I'll just leave it at that. That project had 27 different events to cover last year and the data they received was staggering. Millersville was very involved in the project and had the most participants by more than 2x any University during the study. A lot of hard work and dedication for many of my friends. Also, not a lot of sleep when you have 27 events haha. My friends have some crazy pictures. I'll see if I can scrape some up and share with everyone here  ^_^

I remember LEK saying it was in the 350-375" range.  Yeah, they got hit well during that timeframe.

http://www.weather.gov/buf/lake1314_stormg.html

Perrysburg off of Lake Erie received 322" last year. I thought it would be cool to keep a running track of the highest totals off of each lake going forward. I wonder where I can receive data for this for the last 40-50 years? Would be cool to see where that location is and how much they received each year. Off of Erie South Dayton, Mayville, and Perrysburg always get the highest totals. Off of Ontario I believe its Hooker/Lowville/Redfield.

I remember LEK saying it was in the 350-375" range.  Yeah, they got hit well during that timeframe.

http://www.weather.gov/buf/lake1314_stormg.html

Perrysburg off of Lake Erie received 322" last year. I thought it would be cool to keep a running track of the highest totals off of each lake going forward. I wonder where I can receive data for this for the last 40-50 years? Would be cool to see where that location is and how much they received each year. Off of Erie South Dayton, Mayville, and Perrysburg always get the highest totals. Off of Ontario I believe its Hooker/Lowville/Redfield.

Storm total for the season up there was bonkers. Watertown had their snowiest winter in over 30 years last year. That's saying something. The pictures were stunning and I love how the people up there just take it as it comes. Amazing

Storm total for the season up there was bonkers. Watertown had their snowiest winter in over 30 years last year. That's saying something. The pictures were stunning and I love how the people up there just take it as it comes. Amazing

Nothing beats 1977 in Hooker off the Tug. 467 inches. Record for US, east of the Rockies. I think the record off of Erie was the same year. I'm going to ask the NWS for that data, but I remember it being 350" or a tad higher.

Hooker received 325" last year. Redfield received 353.8"

I found a few websites to track this data. Going to combine CoCorahs and NOWdata. When I get some free time I'll put together a table.

Nice. I can't wait to see the results. I love looking at data and analyzing it just because. Maybe that's the reason I'm a PennDot data collector  :sled:

Nothing beats 1977 in Hooker off the Tug. 467 inches. Record for US, east of the Rockies. I think the record off of Erie was the same year. I'm going to ask the NWS for that data, but I remember it being 350" or a tad higher.

Hooker received 325" last year.

Wow. I can't even fathom what that looks like

Nice. I can't wait to see the results. I love looking at data and analyzing it just because. Maybe that's the reason I'm a PennDot data collector  :sled:

Wow. I can't even fathom what that looks like

Scratch that. Perrysburg received 313" according to NOWData. But I have the spotter added on FB and she said she received 322" last year, so who knows... Either way some epic totals in the Tug Hill and Chatuaqua Ridge last year. I am going to use these 3 sources for my data collection.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/nws_buffalo_snowspotter_network.htm

http://www.cocorahs.org/

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=buf

So much fun to browse around that data. Some crazy totals man...

I'll start off the top totals since 02-03 season since the data is easily accessible.

2002-2003

Lake Erie

Sherman 277"

Arkwright 231"

Perrysburg 275"

South Dayton 268"

Lake Ontario

Barnes Corners 302"

N. Osceola 319"

West Leyden/Ava 294"

Highmarket 288"

2003-2004

Lake Erie

Sherman 211"

South Dayton 244"

Perrysburg 214"

Ellicottville 281"

Lake Ontario

Parish 292"

Palermo 280"

Redfield 299"

North Osceola 280"

2004-2005

Lake Erie

Perrysburg 219"

South Dayton 207"

Ellicottville 205"

Yorkshire 203"

Lake Ontario

Redfield 196"

Fulton 185"

North Osceola 174"

Bennetts Bridge 174"

Scratch that. Perrysburg received 313" according to NOWData. But I have the spotter added on FB and she said she received 322" last year, so who knows... Either way some epic totals in the Tug Hill and Chatuaqua Ridge last year. I am going to use these 3 sources for my data collection.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/nws_buffalo_snowspotter_network.htm

http://www.cocorahs.org/

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=buf

So much fun to browse around that data. Some crazy totals man...

Unreal. I need to go up and visit the area up there at some point in my lifetime. I love the upstate area as well as the mountains in New England. Whole different world up there compared to the snow hole down in southern Pa. We beg for the right pattern and up there when someone sneezes, they get 2" 

2005-2006

Lake Erie

South Dayton 254"

Perrysburg 209"

Yorkshire 216"

Mayville 203"

Lake Ontario

North Osceola 253"

Hooker 237"

Redfield 267"

Barnes Corner 263"

2006-2007

Lake Erie

Perrysburg 238"

South Dayton 235"

Yorkshire 223"

Mayville 241"

Lake Ontario

Barnes Corner 282"

North Osceola 336"

Highmarket 278"

Redfield 388"

2007-2008

Lake Erie

Perrysburg 212"

South Dayton 181"

Mayville 198"

Stockton 177"

Lake Ontario

Redfield 308"

Bennetts Bridge 280"

Pulaski 259"

Barnes Corner 242"

2008-2009

Lake Erie

Mayville 280"

South Dayton 285"

Perrysburg 264"

Arkwright 254"

Lake Ontario

Redfield 382"

Hooker 361"

Bennetts Bridge 287"

Pulaski 245"

2009-2010

Lake Erie

Mayville 233"

Perrysburg 199"

Lake Ontario (Rough Year)

Pulaski SW 140"

Redfield 148"

2010-2011

Lake Erie

Perrysburg      215"

Little Valley   189"

Randolph    178"

Lake Ontario

Redfield   312"

Lacona S     258"

Fulton      253"

2011-2012 (LOL)

Perrysburg     131"

Lake Ontario

Hooker            128.9"

Highmarket     129.2"

2012-2013

Lake Erie

West Valley 134.9"

Ripley      133.9"

Lake Ontario

Highmarket     211.6"

Fulton                 207.5"

Bennetts Bridge   215"

2013-2014

Lake Erie

Perrysburg       313"

Holland         239.4"

Coldon         250.1"

Boston         204.6"

Lake Ontario

Redfield       353.8"

Hooker          325.3"

Copenhagen      279.5"

Highmarket         265.6"

Unreal. I need to go up and visit the area up there at some point in my lifetime. I love the upstate area as well as the mountains in New England. Whole different world up there compared to the snow hole down in southern Pa. We beg for the right pattern and up there when someone sneezes, they get 2" 

Haha year its crazy up here for Lake Effect and upslope enhancement events if you go to the locations I've posted. I'm quite surprised Erie is able to keep up so well with totals with the Tug. Most of the seasonal totals are not to far off from each other. The highest since the 02-03 season is 388" in Redfield in 06-07', Redfield also received 382" in 08-09'. Crazy!

Archived